Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
satin quilt >

satin quilt

satin quilt

Old 04-20-2012, 04:04 AM

wonderwoman ~ Will you be posting photos of your progress?
I would love to see how you do!

I'm also new to quilting and hope to work on my own very soon ~ <3
Old 04-24-2012, 06:35 PM

Here is a funny story, my husband brought home a satin quilt, sheets from Japan. They were always on the floor because they would slip off the bed. I ended up hating those darn things!! Put flannel for the backing or cotton.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:30 AM

I know this is a Little late to the thread, did you ever make anything with the barbizon? I'm in serious need of some barbizon if anyone has any tips on where I can get my hands on some....my 4 year old is desperate for a blanket that Was lost made of it... Rough times here
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Banned

I would use a poly cotton for the the back. An 80-20 blend and not flannel. Satin and flannel too much a different feel in fibre content. And a thinner poly batting unless you want it to be like a comforter. Will the quilt be for show or warmth.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 PM

A friend of mine gave me a quilt that was store bought and made of satin fabric, she wanted me to take the back off and put a cotton back on it as it kept sliding off her bed. It was a nightmare to do as it was not very well made and out of alignment but I got it done eventually and she was happy with the outcome (even if I was not)
Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 AM
cjr

We just came back from Custer SD, visiting long time friends. While there we visited The Crazy Horse muesem. They had a stunning Lakota(Indian Nation) Star made of satin. It is black, red & white with the Oogalala(sorry for mispelling) Nation symbol in the center. It was behind glass so I could not touch it, but was beautifully done.

Satin can be used in quilts. If it frays stitch edges before sewing. Good luck
Old 09-06-2013, 10:15 AM

I had a satin comforter when I was younger. I did have some trouble having it fall off the bed. But it was really soft and cuddly. I can't see that a quilt from satin would be a major problem. The fabric eventually started wearing out, and it got covered with other fabric.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:11 PM

The comforter on my bed is "bed in a bag" satin. I've been using it several years and it is starting to show major signs of wear n tear.

I'm thinking your satin is a much higher quality and will probably wear much better.

I have a quilt partially completed that is satin peau d'soie (sp?). I would recommend using wider than normal seams or else zig zag or serging the pieces.

I remember a down comforter from my childhood (before we discovered my allergies) that was a lovely peach color.

Do show us pictures!!!