Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Satisfied only doing a Bargello? >

Satisfied only doing a Bargello?

Satisfied only doing a Bargello?

Old 05-18-2014, 01:55 AM
Power Poster

Many of us enjoy one style or technique and stick with it, some for their whole quilting life. Look at *Holly Taylor* who creates all those fabulous applique quilts we love to oooh & aaah over...I bet she doesn't feel guilty for not doing something different. Do what you love, play with it, expand it,grow with it, enjoy it-never feel guilty for it.

Last edited by ckcowl; 05-18-2014 at 01:56 AM. Reason: expanding
Old 05-18-2014, 03:52 AM

I've been working on UFO's and scrap quilts for the last year. Not a lot of scraps left now.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

Hi Dina. Have you tried to do a four way Bargello?? I also try to do other patterns, mostly charity quilts, but I have so much enjoyed the Twist N Turns that Eileen Wright has created. I also like doing a pattern called Colorsplash. It is a simple Trip Around the World pattern but has the challenge of selecting colors like the bargello. It is my avatar. I am currently finishing up a yellow/blue top that goes from light to dark. I found the one fabric I was missing so it came out of the UFO pile. Just have fun and enjoy what you make. Love to know what new bargello books you have bought. Stay cool.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:36 AM

I have never made the same pattern quilt more than once because I like variety but that's me. If you enjoy doing the same thing then do it. I'm in this to have some relaxation and fun. If it doesn't meet those criteria then I'm not going to do it. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:00 AM

I'm stuck on EPP. Hand quilting #3 at home, and #4 is my take along project. Grandmothers Flower Garden just keeps calling to me!
Old 05-18-2014, 05:04 AM

no you not a lone , hi , Debrak just want know have every did a pp diamond log cabin inquiring mind want to know
Old 05-18-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Hi Dina. Have you tried to do a four way Bargello?? I also try to do other patterns, mostly charity quilts, but I have so much enjoyed the Twist N Turns that Eileen Wright has created. I also like doing a pattern called Colorsplash. It is a simple Trip Around the World pattern but has the challenge of selecting colors like the bargello. It is my avatar. I am currently finishing up a yellow/blue top that goes from light to dark. I found the one fabric I was missing so it came out of the UFO pile. Just have fun and enjoy what you make. Love to know what new bargello books you have bought. Stay cool.
Hi Joellyn! My three new Bargello books are The Bargello Quilt Book by Piecemakers, Bargello Quilts in Motion by Ruth Ann Berry, and Bargello Tapestry Quilts by Marilyn Doheny. All three are good books, but Bargello Tapestry Quilts will be the most useful, I think. I wish I had had it when I made my own Bargello design, as it really explains how to create the various things....pattern flow, peaks, spikes, S-curves, extended drops, etc.....all the stuff I ended up figuring out on my own (and not knowing the names of). It isn't a pattern book, but 99 pages of just plain (and fancy) good explanations about how to do "Bargello stuff."

I also have Eileen Wright's two books, so I think I am in good Bargello shape for any future quilt. So as long as I am in this phase, I will have plenty of ideas.

Dina
Old 05-18-2014, 05:12 AM

Where are you finding bargello patterns? I found one online that I did as my first and I think I've caught the fever! I checked at JoAnns and Hobby Lobby but neither of them have bargello books. Makes me think it's a design that's somewhat gone "out of vogue"? Anyhow, I'm interested in doing another. And probably wall hanging rather than bed sized. Can these be done as minis?
Old 05-18-2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Where are you finding bargello patterns? I found one online that I did as my first and I think I've caught the fever! I checked at JoAnns and Hobby Lobby but neither of them have bargello books. Makes me think it's a design that's somewhat gone "out of vogue"? Anyhow, I'm interested in doing another. And probably wall hanging rather than bed sized. Can these be done as minis?
I bought my Bargello books from Amazon. Eileen Wright's Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts and More Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts were the first two books I got. The last 3 I bought are listed in the message here that I just typed. (should be two above this message...)

I also used this free online pattern as inspiration for one wall hanging. I just made it smaller. I don't know if a mini could be done, or maybe I just need to think on that. Hmmmmm.

http://www.northcott.net/?sid=3&layo...id=1&colid=549

I did find a Bargello book at a quilt show once, but I didn't buy it. I haven't seen any at my LQS. At any rate, I sure enjoy making these Bargello quilts, and if you are hooked, I hope you enjoy them half as much as I do.

Dina
Old 05-18-2014, 05:39 AM

Not yet ;-) I've finished 18 blocks for a PP Star Burst quilt, and I'm working on a couple of pictorial type PP quilts now. Nothing too repetitive yet. That's probably why I've stayed so interested in paper piecing lately. Lots of variety.

Is the PP log cabin something you are doing now? Both log cabin and bargello appeal to me, just haven't got around to playing with them to any extent. I've wanted to do a floral log cabin as long as I've been a member here. BarnBum enchanted me with hers.

Last edited by DebraK; 05-18-2014 at 05:50 AM.