Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Satisfied only doing a Bargello? >

Satisfied only doing a Bargello?

Satisfied only doing a Bargello?

Old 05-18-2014, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Bargellos have many different patterns and that may be why you are able to do one after the other. I think the same is true with a OBW. I just finished a OBW and if I didn't have so many others to complete for Christmas I would be doing another.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I have often done 3-5 of the same quilt block/pattern, especially if I am making table runners, placemats or baby quilts; then I move on to something else. I try to make what pleases me, if it's small quilts, bed quilts, quilted bags, etc. and I admit that making Bow Tucks bags in various fabrics can be fun. However, I was asked to make one with a zipper in the top - I finally finished it after many return trips to online tutorials, and am somewhat less than pleased with the results, but maybe my DDIL won't mind too much. She doesn't sew, so she is impressed with whatever I make; I'm just the one with OCD wanting perfection in everything I make; I'm just thrilled though that I was able to do it.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:56 AM

I can relate to your concern in another area. I do zendoodling/zentangling and I found myself liking one pattern I drew and wanting to make it over and over. I became concerned also, as that is not the point of it all ( I told myself) and almost ruined my pleasure in the drawing.
Then I realized the true point in doing anything we do for fun, ie: quilting, drawing, etc. is for the joy and pleasure we get from it, and if drawing the same design over and over made me happy, or in your case making bargellos, then that is exactly what we should do!!!
When the time comes for us to do something else, we will know it and move on!
So indulge yourself as I intend to and have fun!
Hugs and smiles
Old 05-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I can relate to your concern in another area. I do zendoodling/zentangling and I found myself liking one pattern I drew and wanting to make it over and over. I became concerned also, as that is not the point of it all ( I told myself) and almost ruined my pleasure in the drawing.
Then I realized the true point in doing anything we do for fun, ie: quilting, drawing, etc. is for the joy and pleasure we get from it, and if drawing the same design over and over made me happy, or in your case making bargellos, then that is exactly what we should do!!!
When the time comes for us to do something else, we will know it and move on!
So indulge yourself as I intend to and have fun!
Hugs and smiles
I have done just this! I am deep into Bargelloing even as I speak. Happily, I might add.

Dina
Old 05-18-2014, 01:31 PM

It's okay to really love making Bargello style quilts, but if you only stick with that, you might be missing out on your next favorite! If you want to try your hand at another style, find something that is similar like a French braid or log cabin where you can play with graduated colors.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:52 PM

At least you are sticking to fabrics....over the years I have invested in several different things thinking I would do it forever...stain glass, painting, tole painting now quilting...each of those required a financial investment of varying degrees...and when it was over I kept them for years...I still have paints, but no interest! I finally sold the stain glass equipment after about 20 years...just in case I wanted to do it again.

Enjoy what you are doing...it's you!
Old 05-18-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
It's okay to really love making Bargello style quilts, but if you only stick with that, you might be missing out on your next favorite! If you want to try your hand at another style, find something that is similar like a French braid or log cabin where you can play with graduated colors.
I know what you mean. That is why I hope this phase is really just a phase. I have made log cabin and French braid, but they didn't seem to catch me like this Bargello stuff has. The quilt I am working on now is my 75th quilt, and only the last five have been Bargello....so I am going to assume it is a phase and just enjoy it until I don't.

Dina
Old 05-18-2014, 02:20 PM

Dina, I just looked at one of the tutorials and think I may try it but I wondered if you have any tips on fabric selections...i saw your brown one and it had great balance and movement too. How many fabrics do you typically work with and do you choose always colors that blend well and flow together or could you get the same "ebb and flow" from high contrast darks (of different colors) with bands of neutrals mixed between? Is there a minimum # of fabrics to make this work and/or a maximum # beyond which it just doesn't work?
Old 05-18-2014, 02:50 PM

I love the turning 20 quilt pattern. But I dream of the bargellos.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:55 PM

I understand after doing two Bargellos I bought a new Bargello book to make another style but then I tried a stack and whack and loved that challenge as well. I have decided that so long as the pattern poses a challenge I am good it.