Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SCARED TO BUY...... >

SCARED TO BUY......

SCARED TO BUY......

Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 PM

Ongratulations on the job prospects! I would say, however that you should listen to your instincts on this...the fear is there for a reason. Look around...the perfect deal for you is out there...sounds like this is not the right one for you.
Good luck on your interview!
C
Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM

I also agree with everyone here that has given you advise,Remember you never planned to be in that accident, we don't usually plan for those things to happen to us. That being said what if something happened to your husbands job tomorrow, the new machine wouldn't help pay the bills. When my husband died my lonelness and unclear thinking caused me to go on many buying sprees,because I wasn't thinking far enough into the future. Now before I buy things of real value I actually pray about it god will and wants to help you spend your money wisely
Old 01-10-2011, 08:03 PM

I have seen several small long arm owners have said they wished they had bought a larger one. because they could make money on a bigger one the smaller one is more for wall hangings.i would go for the bigger one that way you could do quilts on the side or make a living at it.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by chichimamma
I recently got a settlement for a car wreck-not a whole lot and I still haven't found a job yet. I saw a Juki machine LA, with aluminum stand, stitch regulator,and QAC program, and about eight feet with it and plastic patterns for the stylus to follow, its all for $2700.00 does that sound good? I have sweatted over this for days, is there a better deal out there? Linda
I love to sew and apparently you do too, but if I were looking for a job and haven't found one yet, I would hang on to my money. There will always be something to come along later after you get a job. In this economy and as scarce a jobs are now I would definitely hang on to my money and use it for the necessities that I really need now or in the near future. Just my opinion.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 PM

Keep your money. There will always be "wants" and "needs" that you have. Once you get steady employment save up for what you want. Having cash on hand is a Godsend.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I didn't think Juki made long arms? What model is this? If it's only a 9" throat I wouldn't pay that price for it. Job or no.
It may be a Juki that has been stretched...but I still would not buy it. You are "scared to buy" for a reason...it's not a reasonable expense right now in your situation and your good sense is telling you NO! Time to listen to the good sense instead of going with your desire. It's a "want", not a "need".
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by ladyredhawk
I have seen several small long arm owners have said they wished they had bought a larger one. because they could make money on a bigger one the smaller one is more for wall hangings.i would go for the bigger one that way you could do quilts on the side or make a living at it.
I would agree with you...and it's tough to make a living quilting quilts even after making a $10,000+ investment in a longarm that's big enough to quilt up to king size quilts. I have never heard of someone wishing they had gotten a smaller longarm, but plenty who wish they had gone bigger.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 PM

I think I would post a ad, offering to pay a fair price, for a second hand machine with a more open throat. Try Craigs list. If you do, remember that you can only make one post for it at a time, so each week or so, I would post in a different nearby area. Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by chichimamma
It's looking better on the job front, I have a phlebotomy position if I want it and a job interview tomorrow with a cardiologist office for medical assisting/laboratory. I really want a job with Labcorp.
Just wanna tell you good luck on your job interview and we'll say a prayer for you whether it be this job or the one you want. I hope you get the machine you want too. You know your finances and maybe your husband works. If he wants you to get a machine now and you are making do with your bills etc. now comfortably and fixing to start a new job, well at least you know there's a light at the end of the tunnel, right? Only you and your husband know how tight things are and if it would be a good idea to step out on this limb. I hope things work out for you. :thumbup:
Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 PM

Linda, in answer to your question. Juki is a good machine, but there are some out there as good and not so expensive. You can buy a Janome Sewing and Embrodiery sewing machine for that much money. I like to think that if you are going to pay this much for a sewing machine, you have already considered your future and have a plan. Wish you well in your search. My rule of thumb is whenever I spend this much money take 24 hours to make a decision and if you are a praying women, pray and ask God to guide you in your decision.