Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared and sad- my Janome 7700 died!

Hi all-
    I bought my new Janome 7700 in July and have loved loved loved it- in fact just this morning was reassuring another board member about the effectiveness of the new 1/4" foot...

Did a bit of FMQ today, no problems, went to the ironing board for a few minutes, and noticed an icky "hot" smell- wasn't the iron- looked at my machine and the electronic screen was blank. Deep breath, turned it off, then on, and got an E4 error message, which according to the manual indicates a problem with the circuit and to bring it in for service.

I am going to bring it in in the morning- too late to go today- when I talked with them they said they had no idea what could be wrong, but sounds like the electronics are shot. From the smell, I think that is right. The machine is plugged into it's own surge protector, no lighting or power interruptions here....

So I just don't know what to expect tomorrow. The dealer is a well established one with a very good reputation, but I don't know if they will replace this machine or will I be in for a long stretch of ordering parts etc.? And how comfortable would you be with this machine being repaired instead of replaced?

Sorry this is so long, but I guess I am a little freaked out ...thanks for listening!

Wow, I would be freaked too. I would think it would be replaced.

Oh so sorry you have to go through this. Thank goodness there was not a fire and you were there. I would want it replaced how could you trust this is not going to happen again.

Less than six months old I definitely would want it replaced.

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear this :(
    I would hope they would replace the whole machine, what would have happened if you hadn't been in the room? I had a computer monitor do this, luckily I was in the same room watching tv when it happened. If one bad wire was in the machine? I wouldn't be able to trust there weren't more or more bad connections....
    I bet you get a new one, as the burning wire smell never leaves the plastic housing :wink: My monitor still stunk to high heaven 2 weeks later. I am sure the company could still smell it when they opened the box when I returned it LOL

It should be covered by the warranty, shouldn't it? You've only had it 4 months!

Yes, it should be warranteed. Sorry you have to go through this.

I would hope that they would replace the machine. You will feel much better with a new one. I feel for you.

Blog Entries
    I definitely would want a replacement and would not even consider accepting a repair! If your dealer is anything like my Janome dealer, repair won't even be an option they offer - they will give you a new one without a doubt!

Oh my. Sorry that happened, but glad you were there when it did happen. I would want a replacement, not a repair.
    BTW, I LOVE my Janome.

It'll be covered by warranty, so don't worry!

Blog Entries
    I don't think she's worried about the cost but how long it'll take or if they'll just replace the machine. I would guess if they keep trying this or that to fix it it might take a long time.

I bought a Janome about 15 years ago just to use for doing a blanket stitch, my Pfaff is my main machine. After using the Janome for a few times it would work a couple of hours and quit. Took it in twice but problem not solved, finally talked to the store owner and he asked what error message I was getting. When I told him he said,Oh,then you need a new machine--he went to the back and returned with a new machine and I've never had another problem. I hope your story ends as well as mine did.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I don't think she's worried about the cost but how long it'll take or if they'll just replace the machine. I would guess if they keep trying this or that to fix it it might take a long time.
    Thanks for all your kind replies. Gale is exactly right, I feel like since the machine is under warrantee, I won't "lose" my money,but what if the electronics are really fried and they spend weeks ordering parts, doing this and that, etc. I do not have any other machine (I know, I kow) and the thought of being without one for a long time makes me crazy.

I am also just upset that such an expensive (at least for me!) machine would fail so quickly...my last machine lasted 24 years!

Oh Chiaraquilts...I have the Horizon too so I'll be watching to see what your outcome is. So sorry that your are having problems with it. Mine is only a couple of months old and so far I love it. But it's my first computer machine too and it's always a worry about the electronics

OH .. NO .. this is so awful. I do not even want to think about not be able to quilt. My thoughts are with you. I hope it is a simple quick fix and you will be stitching happy again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chiaraquilts

I am also just upset that such an expensive (at least for me!) machine would fail so quickly...my last machine lasted 24 years!
    I think that's expensive for anyone! I have the 6600 that I bought in May and it was pretty darn expensive IMO.

I feel for you. Don't know what I would do without my machine.
    Hope they have a new one in stock and just replace it right away.

I have had my Janome 6500 for over 5 years now and have never had a problem with it at all. I do know that my dealer would immediately replace the machine if it was under warranty and I had a problem like yours. I lost my first Janome in a house fire and the adjuster told us that even though the fire was only in 1 part of the house, all our electronics were shot. I hope your dealer is as good as mine and that you walk out of there tomorrow with a brand new machine in your hands.

I bet the machine will be replaced free of charge. Please let us all know if it is NOT!! Good luck, and I am sorry for your dilemma.

Oh, I feel for you. Please keep us posted. We will all be waiting for the outcome.

I know I'm on the edge of my seat - let us know the outcome.

Blog Entries
    With electronics you never know what else could be affected down the line, I would think they'd replace your machine. You're lucky it's still under warranty!!

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness! but PMY is right,electronics can be tricky.
    i would hope they just trade out the machine for a new one. will be praying for favor for you.

Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you. I have the 7700 too. I have it plugged into an extension cord that plugs into the surge supressor. One day I went downstairs to sew, turned the machine on and it wouldn't go on. I went over to the extension cord, unplugged it and plugged it into another slot in the cord. It worked, I figured the extension cord must have had a bad connection, it was one of those double sided ones. I was relieved, because weird stuff like that happens to me all the time. So far so good. They should definitely replace your machine.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast