Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
School Glue Problem - A Cautionary Tale! >

School Glue Problem - A Cautionary Tale!

School Glue Problem - A Cautionary Tale!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:54 AM

Thank you for the great advice.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Teri D View Post
I've used School Glue successfully several times on bindings and for basting. BUT I created a problem for myself the other day when I was basting a sandwich for a small project using Kona solid fabric backing and a thin polyester batting. I drizzled a bit of glue onto the batting and spread it with my finger and then placed the solid backing on top and pressed it down with my hands. Then I decided to hurry the process along by pressing the sandwich to dry the glue. BIG MISTAKE!

Apparently the glue hadn't soaked into the batting sufficiently and the result was a series of dark "glob" marks on the solid fabric. I tried spraying the sandwich with water to dissolve the glue but to no avail. I then pulled the sandwich apart and tried unsuccessfully to rub out the marks. I finally had to create a pattern on the solid fabric using fabric crayons so the marks wouldn't show! The improvisation worked out just fine and the project was saved but it was "white knuckle time" for awhile.

So....I think that my mistake was twofold: first assuming I'd spread the glue thin enough to begin with, and then the ironing -- I suspect that the glue actually got scorched when it penetrated the Kona and was ironed.

Lessons learned: 1. be VERY careful using glue on polyester batting by making sure it is spread VERY thin 2. don't press the sandwich while the glue is wet.
I just "Elmered" a charity quilt this afternoon using poly batting. I let the back dry by itself for a hour, flipped it over and glued the top, and let it sit for another hour. It is holding beautifully! Haven't started the quilting process yet, but I can't forsee any problems. I spread the drizzled glue using a damp foam brush from Home Depot. I was going to press but took the advise of another poster about the poly melting from the heat. Up to this point I have only used the glue on cotton batting, with great sucess!! I will update once I have started quilting and see if it holds thru the whole process.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up. This is an very informative thread. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 AM

I just used the Elmers school glue stick on my Dresden plate blades and ironed them right away with no show thru or other problems. It was the first time I tried the glue and I really like how easy nit was to use.