Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Scissors are best? >

Which Scissors are best?

Which Scissors are best?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:05 PM

I love Ginghers.. but the big ones are too heavy to use much when my hands are acting up.. or will make them flare up. (probably have RA).. I did get a pair years ago of ginghers that had Nylon (I believe that's right) handles and the ginghers blades in them.. they were good.. but the handles would flex some when you cut heavy fabric. I'm still looking for something easier to use that put less stress on the hand joints.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:17 PM

I also really like the Elan scissors. They have serrated edges and are fabulous for slippery fabrics. I got them at an LQS.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 PM

I have a couple of pairs of Henckels scissors in different sizes. They have different qualities too, I have the more expensive ones (well, 50 bucks for scissors is expensive to me, anyway) and wouldn't trade them for the world. I have a pair of Friskars from years ago, but I find that they are stiff and the handle is less comfy... although they DO cut well.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
No jokes like - sharp ones.

I have purchased enough scissors to have bought a good pair. No more. Fiskars don't last very long. Which brand is sharp from tip to hinge and can be sharpened when they get a little dull? I also need to know about snippers. Threads drive me crazy. A long time ago, women didn't get a new pair a year or even several years. I can't get my scissors to last 3 months. Since I have to order on the internet anyway, which brand will last the longest and cut the best?
I have the Fiskars soft touch spring loaded & love them. I have the smaller pair for cutting threads & clipping corners & the regular size for regular cutting. If you are having any trouble with your hands these are the way to go. I can hardly use regular scissors anymore without my hands getting sore. I haven't sharpened mine yet & have had them a long time & the little ones are really sharp as I have taken some of my skin a few times when I wasn't paying attention. That's my two cents!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:58 AM

I love my Dovo. They are the sharpest and most comfortable. These are used for applique and hand sewing.
I also have several pair of Fiskars, for paper cutting. They can be sharpened and cut better after sharpened.
My four pair of Ginger scissors seldon get used after using Dovo.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:13 AM

Prehaps I am an exception, but I have had the same pair of Fiskars from when they first came out, I think that was over thirty years ago and the last time I used them about ten years ago they were still sharp. When I began quilting, I dug out my little Fiskars embroidery scissors from well over 25 years ago and they are still amazingly sharp. Our Extension Agent borrowed them a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how sharp they were.

I once stopped dating a guy because he was going to use my sewing scissors on paper. Fiskars are the only scissors I ever use or have used for the past 30 or so years. I have never had to have a pair sharpened. I bought my first pair when I was making all my own clothes and of course they did cut through patterns, but I still have that first pair. When I bought them they were rather pricey for my budget, but in retrospect they were well worth the price.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 AM

I bought a pair of Kai shears and small thread snips and wouldn't trade them for anything. I love them!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

wow, gwen, what are you cutting??? my fiskar's (8" and 4" snips) have lasted my about 5 years now, i couldn't function without them and they have held up well. I have one pair of the small 4" ones which my dog got ahold of and chewed the 'rubber' handles, they still cut just fine, hate to get rid of them but the handles aren't so great to hold anymore...
fiskars are guaranteed, if you got (lemons) i would contact them, they really should last you years of good fabric cutting.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:58 AM
tmg

Originally Posted by beachlady
Love my ginghers. Have had them over 20 years and never had them sharpened!! I have threatened family members if they ever pick them up and especially if they have paper in their hands!!!
I have had mine for over 10 yrs. and never had them sharpened either. And I threaten kids with their lives if they touch them. I haven't had any luck with my husband yet about getting a hold of them. The ginghers r the best ones I've ever used
Old 04-05-2010, 04:43 AM

I have a ginghers which I have used for years without sharpening. I also have a pair of Clover scissors that have a cover - perfect for classes and traveling. I got those on the Real Women Quilt website.