Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Scissors are best? >

Which Scissors are best?

Which Scissors are best?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:15 PM

If your hand hurts after using the Ginghers, you really should try Kai scissors. I have fibromyalgia and can use them without nearly as much hand and wrist strain as with any other scissors. I just can't say enough about them!!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by gzuslivz
If your hand hurts after using the Ginghers, you really should try Kai scissors. I have fibromyalgia and can use them without nearly as much hand and wrist strain as with any other scissors. I just can't say enough about them!!
I have arthritis in my hands....I find my Henkles are not too heavy. So there are choices out there for you to try. Do you have access to a knife/scissor specialty shop? They will generally let you try them in the store before purchasing. Good luck!!

Patti
Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 PM

My family kept using my Ginghers. I finally hid them in my underware drawer, lol. Now we are empty nesters and I no longer have to "hide" them!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:24 AM

Nothing but Ginghers for me. I have about 8 different pair. Using them is like cutting through hot butter. I love'em.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Windy Canyon
Love my Ginghers. I have four pair, 1 pair of pinking shears and a small pair. But, like many of you have said, at times they are too heavy when my hands are aching. I need to gear towards those with springs that pop back open in order to save my thumb. At WalMart I have purchased a small grey pair with orange in the finger/thumb slots for under $7 made of titanium. My friends tell me they hold their edge really well. I also like Snip Eze Embroidery Snips. At JoAnn Fabrics they run about $18 but at my local Bernina store they are about $10. They are very light weight and spring loaded. Only should be used on threads though. I have found that I can get really close to where I want to snip the thread. Linda
Linda...I have the same pair of small gray scissors from Wal-Mart that you have. My hubby found them on clearance about 4 years ago for $2.00. There was only 1 pair or I would have bought a 2nd. I hang those around my neck when quilting...absolutely "LOVE" this scissors.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:06 AM

I bought a pair of Kai Scissors at the show in Knoxville and they are the sharpest I have ever had, including my ginghers and wiss.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:25 AM

For around the house, and so people won't use mine, just about every room has a pair of cheap Wal-mart ones. Have a pair that is grey/yellow and they are the sharpest in the house. As for sewing/yarn/quilting, I have a pair for each craft. I use my mothers old Joy pinking shears when I need pinks for paper, my Fiskar pinks on fabric, and all my other scissors are Fiskars including the 'new' ones for rag quilts.

My one pair of Fiskars get sharpened about every 6 months. I run it through the little sharpener you can buy at JoAnn's.
I have a pair of embroidery that are Ginghers and they won't stay sharp for anything. Really irritating!

For those of you who have family that borrow your scissors and don't listen or respect your requests not to use-why not hide them in your fabric bins/drawers/etc. under fabric?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:40 AM

I recently found a pair of Wiss Pinking shears at Salvation Army, paid $2.99 for them. You should have seen me looking for something to test them on! I found some fabric so just snipped a little on the edge! They cut great!
I also inherited a pair of Richards of Sheffield made in England so they were probably my Great Grandmothers.