Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Scissors are best? >

Which Scissors are best?

Which Scissors are best?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 AM

ginghers! I have had mine forever. My husband gave them to me for Christmas one year, and they are fantastic! Never need sharpening. Just watch our for pins. They will nick.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:37 AM

I started with Fiskars, then graduated to Gingher. I tried my best friend's Kai scissors. They were left handed and I am right handed and they still felt better than anything I have ever used! The balance between blades and handles is amazing. I have a larger pair (about $24) and then I bought a pair of 5 1/2" at the Sew Expo ($14). They are sharp all the way to the very tip. I wouldn't trade them for anything and will never go back! I also tie a piece of bright colored fabric to the handle to remind all that they are for fabric and belong to me. :)
Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM

The first year my hubby and I were together, I happened to come upon him just as he was picking up my Henkles in one hand and a piece of paper in the other. :evil: He was so surprised at my reaction!!! He had no idea how bad paper is for scissors. He was so impressed with my almost violent reaction, HE then impressed on his daughter how bad it would be to even think about using my good scissors!!! This was the first time I had ever gotten upset about anything. Neither of them has gone anywhere near my scissors since. LOL

Patti
Old 04-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pzazz
He had no idea how bad paper is for scissors. He was so impressed with my almost violent reaction,
My darling man decided to hack off some leather with my rotary cutter on the table. We had a little chat about "borrowing" tools and using them properly. He now asks before he grabs.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Google Goddess

He should always ask you!

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by Pzazz
He had no idea how bad paper is for scissors. He was so impressed with my almost violent reaction,
My darling man decided to hack off some leather with my rotary cutter on the table. We had a little chat about "borrowing" tools and using them properly. He now asks before he grabs.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Ginghers - You can cut through multiple layers of fabric and they are sharp forever. I've had mine since '81 and they're still going strong.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:22 PM

I have Ginghers that I keep hidden (mechanics in the house). One time I caught my DS cutting gasket material with my sewing scissors. He got such a fit that he never used any scissors again that were near the sewing machine without asking if it was okay. I keep a couple of pairs of cheap scissors around the house and also on the sewing table so if someone uses them it won't cause a world war. The Ginghers are hidden but easy for me to get if I need sharp scissors. Grandkids have learned to use the shears that came with my cutlery or the Pampered Chef heavy duty kitchen shears unless they are sewing.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 PM

I vote for Ginghers. I have had mine for 20 years and they are still good. 8-)
Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 AM

I keep my Ginghers still in the box even tho it came with a cover for the blades. Never use them for anything but fabric.
No one bothers mine...they know not to. Those are Granny's 'special' scissors.
Purchased them over 10 years ago and still sharp as ever.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM

I just bought Fiskars pinking shears the other day. Horrible. Never again. Now I will watch for a chance to buy something better at a good price. I also bought a new pair of Gingher shears. I find them to be quite heavy and make my hand ache after a little cutting with them. But they are so sharp and do a wonderful job. I guess there is not such thing as total perfection. But one keeps hoping.