Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Scissors are best? >

Which Scissors are best?

Which Scissors are best?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by beachlady
Love my ginghers. Have had them over 20 years and never had them sharpened!! I have threatened family members if they ever pick them up and especially if they have paper in their hands!!!
wow I would love a pair of those. thank you for the information. Penny
Old 04-05-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
No jokes like - sharp ones.

I have purchased enough scissors to have bought a good pair. No more. Fiskars don't last very long. Which brand is sharp from tip to hinge and can be sharpened when they get a little dull? I also need to know about snippers. Threads drive me crazy. A long time ago, women didn't get a new pair a year or even several years. I can't get my scissors to last 3 months. Since I have to order on the internet anyway, which brand will last the longest and cut the best?
I have many pairs of Fiskars - spring ones with the soft handle are my favorite. I stock up with coupons and when they are on sale. My Ginghers are much too heavy. You will need a sharp pair of curved scissors - good for cutting threads without cutting the fabric - I use them while hand quilting. I recently bought a pair of scissors bonded with titanium - they are very sharp and work very well. Whatever you choose, make sure they are the "right fit" for you. Good luck.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:42 PM

I like Professor KIA scissors. They stay sharp and last forever. I have several pairs of Gingher and they are nice, but nothing like the KIA. You can order them on-line.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:46 PM

I have every size of Ginghers including the clippers and love them. Mine are from the 70's and 80's and were made in Germany. I have noticed some lately made in other countries, don't know if they are as good or not.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:53 PM

I have 2 pair of Fiskars that i have had for 15 yrs. And I just barely sent them to be sharped. I don't buy any other kind
Old 04-05-2010, 04:07 PM

I have several gingher, including a light weight pair, and I have been happy with them. I was just given a pair of small Clover scissors with a serrated edge and I love them. I love the serrated edge so much, I found a dressmaker size Gingher with the serrated edge. You can not see the serrated edge but you can feel it. It grips the fabric so it does not shift on you.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 PM

I have had no problem with ginghers. Had them sharpened 1 time since I purchased them 15 years ago. And the only reason I had them sharpened then was I was in a class at the dealers and since I had my scissers I figured why not! that was 6 years ago.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:45 PM

I have had my Ginghers since 7th grade Home-Ec. That has been 39 years ago. :) I love my Ginghers, and they have only been sharpened 2, maybe 3 times. That is all I have ever had and ever needed! Believe me, I have used them a lot!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Ginghers are great but so heavy. I don't use mine that often. I have a couple of pairs of the Fiskers razor edge scissors (with gray handles) and they are great. Both pairs are more than ten years old. I get them sharpened every few years and they are good to go. I couldn't do without them.
Ditto!
Bootsie
Old 04-05-2010, 05:06 PM

Love my Ginghers. I have four pair, 1 pair of pinking shears and a small pair. But, like many of you have said, at times they are too heavy when my hands are aching. I need to gear towards those with springs that pop back open in order to save my thumb. At WalMart I have purchased a small grey pair with orange in the finger/thumb slots for under $7 made of titanium. My friends tell me they hold their edge really well. I also like Snip Eze Embroidery Snips. At JoAnn Fabrics they run about $18 but at my local Bernina store they are about $10. They are very light weight and spring loaded. Only should be used on threads though. I have found that I can get really close to where I want to snip the thread. Linda