Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Scissors are best? >

Which Scissors are best?

Which Scissors are best?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Hmmmm I seem to be the odd one out here. No one else have Henkles? I have a pair that I bought about 25 years ago. They did me thru' many years of sewing for my bread and butter....never had them sharpened, and still cut like butter. They are nicely balanced, and not too heavy, so easy to use with arthritic hands.

Patti
Old 04-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Hmmmm I seem to be the odd one out here. No one else have Henkles? I have a pair that I bought about 25 years ago. They did me thru' many years of sewing for my bread and butter....never had them sharpened, and still cut like butter. They are nicely balanced, and not too heavy, so easy to use with arthritic hands.

Patti
Old 04-05-2010, 05:30 PM

I have Ginghers & love them. I also threatened my family, if I ever saw them cut anything but fabric, they happy would be ended!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:35 PM

I agree- ginghers I have the dressmaker shears and a 7inch pair of seraded
if you have to sharpen the dressmakers you only sharpen the side wirh the nut and they sell a sharpening stone just for Gingher I sharpen mine
Polester fabrics will also dull scissors
Old 04-05-2010, 06:11 PM

I do the same thing. I wouldn't trade my Ginghers for anything. But, one of my best cutting scissors came from Lowe's Hardware. They have a cushioned handle and cost-- $1.95. I needed a spare pair and saw those. Now they stay in my sewing room instead ofthe kitchen drawer. For the family, just buy the inexpensive pair at the fabric store ($1.49 or so) Make sure the colors don't match your good scissors and threaten the kids with "whatever". Even my mother-in-law has finally learned not to touch my good scissors. My good ones never touch paper or stuff that is hard to cut.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:47 PM

I agree that Ginghers are the best. I like the five-inch knife edge, not the five-inch craft scissors. I've had mine at least 20 years and only had them sharpened once. I think I got mine on sale at Hancocks of Paducah.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Ginghers are great but so heavy. I don't use mine that often. I have a couple of pairs of the Fiskers razor edge scissors (with gray handles) and they are great. Both pairs are more than ten years old. I get them sharpened every few years and they are good to go. I couldn't do without them.
I totally agree with you. While I love the sharpness of Gingher's, I found them to be very heavy I find I don't use them often.
Pat
Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 PM

Have Gingher scissors since 1980's and they are as good today as then and have never been sharpened. The collection includes almost every scissors they sell. Never been disappointed ever!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM

Yep, Ghingers are the best....a little pricy, but you get what you pay for. I also use Fiskars small scissors and shears for everyday stuff (never paper). I usually get mine sharpened every 2 yrs at Joanns. Since we use rotary cutters the most, the scissors should last longer.

Sue
Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 PM

GINGHERS so nice and stay shap for years... I still have the first pair I purchased over 38 years ago...
I have almost ever gingher scissor there is.. I have a few sets of the sets of ghingers in a nice box for sale... $145 +sh.
Just 3 of the scissors is that much. The pinkers and the reg scissors and the snippits are well worth the price. Then the emb scissors, button hole scissors. and ather are leather sheaths to go on 3. The applique and the curved embroidery scissors are great for cutting appliques out also...and they are all in a beatiful wood box with Gingher on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-46084.jpe   attachment-46085.jpe   attachment-46252.jpe