Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scored a Rowenta at yard sale >

Scored a Rowenta at yard sale

Scored a Rowenta at yard sale

Old 11-25-2013, 04:38 AM

I recently picked one up at an estate sale for $8....still in the box! I thought it was new but when I got it home, I realized it did not have a polarized plug (one arm of the plug fatter than the other - no big deal) showing its great age. It looks and works perfectly!!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:11 AM

I've had my Rowenta for so long, I can't remember where I got it! Just love the heat it produces. The directions that came with mine said to use ordinary water...and that has worked well for me without leaks, but my water tank doesn't come off. Check online, as previously mentioned to see what kind of water is correct for this model. Happy presssing. :-)
Old 11-25-2013, 06:47 AM

I have 2 - one for quilting and one for clothes (which I seldom iron). The one for quilting, I never put water in and the one for clothes, I keep water in. I've never had any problems with either. I've had them both over 10 years (well over). I love them! I've worked at Joann's part time and occasionally we would get one returned for leaking. Pretty soon we figured out that they must have been putting distilled water in them - the instructions say to use tap water. They don't leak with tap water and will with distilled - have no clue why Both of the ones I have, I purchased after they were returned and paid the "damaged" price which was a substantial discount!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:50 AM

hate to brag but got mine at a yard sale for .05---had a big blob of somekind of brown gunk on it--popped off with a touch of my pen knife ---cleaned the soleplate off and ironed over some wax paper been using it since last May---first 2 I bought started spitting and I pitched them---this one has been great---who knew!!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If it works, you can't beat $4.
Hope it holds water. Mine started leaking inside and was tripping the electric breakers. I found the inside all wet. Now I use it without water and it works OK if I use it without steam.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 AM

Good luck with your iron. I gave one to sister-in-law 3 yrs ago for Christmas,doesn't leak but doesn't work. I have one 4 yrs old, doesn't leak but thermostat does not work. It just keeps blinking off and on. Never stays on. I love my vintage GE irons in pretty colors.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I think I would want one that used distilled water. We live in the Limestone Capital of the World, and our water has so much lime in it it's terrible. I have to clean my Bunn coffee maker once a month with vinegar. Good luck with your new iron!
I have always used distilled water in all of my irons, never tap water. I have 2 Rowenta's and love them both. One is 10 years +, the other is 5. I needed an iron in 2 different places.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by smokymtnquilter View Post
We plugged it into an outlet in their garage before we left, it got hot. We will see if it holds up
Keep your eye in it - a lot of us have had problem with Rowentas catching fire. I know it's not common, but it has happened. Also, I think you'll find many of us have had leaking problems with Rowenta. Personally I would not have one again - even for $4. Just a word of caution - but I hope you got a good one!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:05 AM

I bought mine about a year ago and love it. The weight is great and I like the auto off.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:51 AM

Thanks for all the advice ladies.