Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap Quilts >

Scrap Quilts

Scrap Quilts

Old 04-06-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
This is a log cabin that I made entirely from scraps.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23612-1.htm
Dunster, That is just beautiful !!!!!!! I want to make one now. I love it. Just love it.!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 PM

Every single scrappy quilt I have seen on this thread has been wonderful including your 'ugly' one which I happen to like very much.
Here are a couple of my scrappy quilts.
Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Almost afraid to show mine. This is probably the worlds ugliest scrap quilt ever created. I was living in a 5-wheel 75 miles from town in the middle of winter. I had no idea where this would go, but I persisted. I wish I would have used some sashing to break up the blocks. A friend of mine commented that some of the pieces glowed in the dark. I forgot that I had used some scraps from pajamas that I made for my grandsons. In it's defense, it has kept me warm for 11 years. :lol:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-180697.jpe   attachment-180698.jpe  
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 PM

OMG! This is gorgeous and will be my next project.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 AM

there re no ugly scrap quilts, most are "utility" quilts, and meant to keep someone warm,cuddly and loved!

:thumbup:
Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 AM

My 1st quilt was a scrappy K size.They are still my fav & mine are usually controlled scrappy, cause I tend to buy like colors.Here's my 1st string quilt,K size & a twin size made for my Mom. She loved flowers.The sofa throw is every color I had in stash.

Originally Posted by butterjoy
I noticed on a lot of scrap quilts there are colors and prints that match and the design looks great. How about a quilt that have NO matching colors or prints. Will that look good? I want to make sure I can make one that will have a lot of different colors and prints before I start it. I really do not want it to be odd or ugly just because it has many colors and prints. Will certain designs help it look good?

Thanks,
JOY
Attached Thumbnails attachment-180712.jpe   attachment-180713.jpe   attachment-180714.jpe  
Old 04-07-2011, 01:18 AM

That's how I sort fabric for scrappy quilts,by color.One reason I prefer making throw size is because scrappy quilts, with many seams are too heavy.Our bed is K size & it's just too much weight.I use a throw almost every day & enjoy remembering this n that fabric in them.Mine are backed in flannel & the only quilting is a lazy S down the joining seams.

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
One of the things that makes a scrap quilt 'work' is to have color families spread through out the quilt. for example, if you have 50 different redish fabrics.......they need to be spread everywhere in the quilt. Same goes for other colors. On most of the scrap quilts that this form is showing........you've all done that. This is what makes the scrappy quilt 'sing'!
=============================================
I agree with you wholeheartedly! So I do it, well, not scientifically, but in
my own way. I count how many squares I'm going to need, then grab all my
black (or whatever color) and toss them in one pile. Then another pile with
another color, so on till I've used all my solid or patterned scraps of each color.
Then when starting it on muslin squares, I grab one from each pile and sew them together, with no careful matching as to what goes with what. Usually
turns out looking more or less like a crazy quilt, and I quilt as much of it on
the machine that I can easily, then sew all these together. Hand quilting the
remainder isn't that difficult. I like doing lap quilts best, I can make so many
more of those and be reasonably sure that they are used all the time.
Usually turns out nice, and I know that by how strongly I'm asked for it by kids and grand kids of all ages.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 AM

Very pretty! I love all the eye candy on this thread.....so many lovely scrap quilts.Makes me want to start strippin again.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I took a couple of pictures of the ugly log cabin I made for my hubby. I tried really hard to use every ugly fabric I could find. The fabrics might have been really ugly but the quilt turned out really cool.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:39 AM

I like it!...maybe us scrap quilters are an odd bunch? :) BTW,my 1st 8-10 quilts were made while we were full timing in our 5th wheel.Think I got more done there than I do in our house.

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Almost afraid to show mine. This is probably the worlds ugliest scrap quilt ever created. I was living in a 5-wheel 75 miles from town in the middle of winter. I had no idea where this would go, but I persisted. I wish I would have used some sashing to break up the blocks. A friend of mine commented that some of the pieces glowed in the dark. I forgot that I had used some scraps from pajamas that I made for my grandsons. In it's defense, it has kept me warm for 11 years. :lol:
Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Here is my favorite quilt that I have made. I made the two fabrics within each block match, but there was no effort made to match anything else. I LOVE the results.
I am working on one like that too! I was thinking of using sashing, but I really like the way yours looks.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 AM

love that string x but then again love all the others too!
Quiltville has the most easist/pretty patterns! Thanks for this link !