Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps and scraps and scraps >

Scraps and scraps and scraps

Scraps and scraps and scraps

Old 05-29-2019, 10:45 AM

I love, love, love scrappy and all my quilts and blocks show it. Anyone looking to unburden yourself of your scraps can contact me and lets make a deal.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I am a scrappy lover and have been working on a couple of scrappy quilts. One is Pam Buda’s 1800 quilt. .
Love it!!!! I just don't have enough white and cream scraps. Looks like I need to get some more fabric.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
My limit on storage has been reached. I have every bag, tub, box and sack full of scraps. Good scraps, and I really don't want to deal with them now that the quilts are made.

What is everyone else doing with these bits and pieces? Everything that was a fat quarter or half a fat quarter has been saved to the tub of it's color.

Marcia aka Battle Axe
I just went through all my unorganized scraps, and relegated at least 1/4 to dog bed fillings. If I'm not in love, have it in a quilt I've kept, or it was donated to me, it went. It helps that I just helped an elderly quilting friend clean out her considerable (think hoarder!) stash. I do NOT want that as my legacy.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by MaryTG View Post
I’m somewhat in the middle when it comes to scraps. I thought I had a lot, but nowhere near what I hear some of you have. I have made many (as in at least 5) 100x100 string quilts and given all but one away, as my friends seem to like them better than more planned quilts. I also have made several quilts using 1.5”x2.5” rectangles and others with small squares. Here are a few of the scrappy non-string quilts.
I love your scrappies, especially the one with the crumb blocks and lots of white space for quilting. I've been making quilts for my nieces, mostly traditional, and that one is a great alternative for something a little more modern. They are all gorgeous!
Old 05-29-2019, 03:50 PM

After reading on this forum I have come to realize my one scrap basket that I have had for years (it measures 8x10, and is about 5 inches tall) is nothing compared to boxes or totes. I consider myself disciplined enough when it is full to make something from the scraps. Some would call it OCD. I cut all my scraps into 2.5 inch strips, some stay WOF, others various lengths. I just made 40 placemats to donate and used scrap batting and used from my stash for the backing. If it can't be cut 2.5 inches wide, it goes into a string quilt basket. Before joining this forum, anything smaller than 2.5 inches wide went into the trash. But the pictures of the string quilts I've seen on here are just beautiful and I'd like to make one, so I'm saving those scraps now too. Crumbs used to get thrown, but now I have them to offer up on here from time to time. Everything else goes in the trash.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

MaryTG...what a wonderful assortment of scrap quilts! Thanks for sharing your lovelies.

I have said this before...when fabric is $9 a yard, an inch wof is worth a quarter...every 2 1/2" strip (jelly roll strip) is worth 62 1/2 cents! Now that alot of fabrics are inching their way up to $12 that 1" is now worth 33 cents and the jelly roll strip 83 cents. I ask would you throw away a quarter?

Last edited by oksewglad; 05-29-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:31 PM

MaryTG, love those quilts! The Arkansas Crossroads with the yellow background is so pretty; I've wanted to do one and will now consider a yellow background instead of the "usual".

The white crumb block quilt is such a great fusion of traditional and modern. Definitely something to think about doing....

And the little seahorses are so cute. Did you use a pattern, and if so, do you know the name?

Thank you for sharing!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
MaryTG, love those quilts! The Arkansas Crossroads with the yellow background is so pretty; I've wanted to do one and will now consider a yellow background instead of the "usual".

The white crumb block quilt is such a great fusion of traditional and modern. Definitely something to think about doing....

And the little seahorses are so cute. Did you use a pattern, and if so, do you know the name?

Thank you for sharing!

The seahorse quilt is a paid pattern http:/summercrafter.bigcartel.com/product/watercolor-sea-horses.

I really enjoy making fabric out of crumbs—I like having lots of space around the crumbs though when using the results.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
Love it!!!! I just don't have enough white and cream scraps. Looks like I need to get some more fabric.
I get my white and cream, most neutrals by buying pillowcases from thrift stores. They are almost a yard and usually sell for 50- 99 cents each.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Here's a quilt that shows you can use up your scrap pieces without having to cut them up into tiny squares first. A friend of mine made this quilt from her green scraps and I thought it was lovely. I did the quilting for her.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613408[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_5196.jpg