Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scraps

Banned
    Here is one of the pieces I did tonight....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think this is the ultimate "Green" ! We use almost everything ! Wouldn't our Grandmothers be proud?

mine are in plastic bins. I have one that all scraps go into, then as I cut those down into certain sizes and shapes they move to other bins. Keeps me organized and helps me know when it's time ot make a quilt with a certain size piece (postage stamp, jelly roll, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    How do you store your scraps? I started with a plastic bag and then last week moved to this really cute basket I have and now I"m using a grocery sack; the gallon size baggie and the basket.
    LOL, You have been extremely busy! Could those scraps be made into a scrappy quilt? I made one with the scraps from a LQS that was throwing the scraps away. Here is my link. It's the last one entitled 'Love has no plan'. Close up pictures on the following page.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-80431-1.htm

QM
    My LQS gives its remnants to about 4 of us in rotation. We all use them for charity quilts. The LQS then takes in scraps from its customers and adds them to what it gives us.

No down side there! Some are big enough to go into non-scrappy quilts for me. The rest are used scrappily.

Here is one of the pieces I did tonight....
    Wow, your colors are great together!

I've just recently bought Sterlite containers and have sorted by colors. I haven't cut them into any sizes like Bonnie Hunter's idea on Quiltville and am still deciding if I want to do that, however, in the few weeks since I have done that much sorting I've cut down on my looking for a certain color time way down. I just grap the container with the color I want and see what I got. I try to use up the smallest pieces first, that way if I do decide to cut into sizes, I will have bigger pieces and be more efficient.

ramona quote
    AWW, honey, you haven't got much at all, considering what some of us have in boxes, bags, baskets, bales and hidden here and there so no one can actually tell what we have. And even we don't remember where we put most of it some of the time!!

and i concur! i sort even the little bitty ones ...folded and sorted by color in boxes or drawers or whatever. i have even answered a challenge yrs ago by group i was with ...collected all thier little snippings and made a pretty little pin cushion for dear friend...they continued to add to the tin that i brought in...and i didn't make any scrap converts there...but it is so good to see that progress is being made in the current quilt community

victorian 'hanging heart' pincushion w/collected 'stuff' embellishment
    Name:  Attachment-158138.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  860.4 KB

looks like crazy quilt blocks on the mini side...love it!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by SaraSewing
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraSewing
    Scraps? You mean those tiny little smigins that are too little to fold? Little squiggly corner pieces. I can't stand keeping them around. I keep them cut up into squares, triangles, or make crumb blocks. I can decide what to do with the cut pieces later, but at least they are ready to be productive. I don't have room to store a bag of left overs that look like "junk" to the unbeliever.
    SaraSewing - what are "crumb blocks"????
    Crumb blocks are my latest craze. Go to quiltville.com to find a great example. I have been on a kick of them because they are ADICTIVE! Do a search at the top of this page to find more. I just finished one quilt and have another ready to set together. And have almost zero teeny scraps left!
    ....looks like mini crazy quilt...i love this!!! [ i am not sure how to do this so there is another post with same wording...but wanted to attach it to this amazing quilt photo :)]

QM
    Some people in my guild used tiny snippets which they glued in place to create pictures. It's not my thing to do, but some of them looke really nice.

I have a scrap bag I maid that clamps onto the edge of my table. When it gets full I emty the scraps into a plastic bags.

Charmpacksplus: The site you reference is really a neat one.
    Soooo much information and it's fun to read. Thank you.
    Dodee

I try to keep my scrap under control. When I finish a project, I cut the remainder into strips (for longer pieces) usually 1 1/2" and 2 1/2". Then cut squares from remainder. Beginning with the largest square I can get from the piece -down to 2" squares. Keep them in shoe boxes. When a box gets full, put them together for a charity quilt. Its amazing how fast those boxes fill.

Blog Entries
    I love my scraps, I am thinking of making my own jelly roll with them. I do charity quilts and they come in handy.

Blog Entries
    sad to say..a trunk, and its full.
    Mary

I just drop my scraps into a rubbermaid tub and dig out what I need when the need arises. I will get on a cleaning/sorting binge every now and then - will iron my scraps, cut charm squares and strips into several sizes and these I keep sorted in individual plastic see-through shoe boxes.

Blog Entries
    Organization? What is that. I have them in totes, bags, whatever is handy at the time.

I store mine by color in those opaque shoe boxes,selveges, and 'strings' left after squaring up go into a bag ; I use those for tying in the garden, the future selvege quilt I have planned, and a wrapped clothesline bag I want to make... but before they go there, they lay in a pretty pile on the work top until all my blocks are made for that project.

I had my scraps in the totes that go under the bed by color. Just bit the bullet one day and got rid of all of them on Freecycle.
    I now have two plastic trash cans that I need to go through and clean out.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    My scraps currently are sorted into rubbermaid bins three ways: (1.) Strips; (2.) Everything Else; and, (3.) Totally Jumbled & Unsorted. hahaha... I will be making a string quilt very soon and figure That will sort the TJ&U by default.

(just in case no one has told you ~ scraps have breeding parties while we sleep.)

I have heard that it is not a good idea to store fabric in a plastic bags - doesn't allow the fabric to breath as cotton is a natural fiber.

I store mine according to size of pieces - I know you all think I'm nuts, but I read an article in Quilt magazine (aug/sept 2009) on how to organize your stash, i.e., chunks, charms, chips, strays, strips and strings - check out the article Pg. 90. It took some time but now when I need scraps, I know what to look for! enjoy!

I cut my scraps into 2"..2.5"..3"..3.5"..squares..the rest I do strips of 1"..1.5"..2"..these I use to sew on dryer squares and cut to 6.5" squares..I store the scraps in individual grocery sacks..

Now, that is an idea!

At my LQS we have a trash bin that has scraps in it. Fun to look through and see what I can use. Everyone contributes and everyone uses. Lots of fun:)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast