Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps >

Scraps

Scraps

Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 PM

I can get empty copy paper boxes from work. They have sturdy lids and I sort my scraps by color, then mark the box. They stack quite nicely in my extra closet. O.K.....I do have to sneek new scraps in so my husband doesn't see. He thinks one day the house will be overtaken by scraps !!!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi
Yeah I figured I didn't have much yet - but I'm sort of neat and stuck in a corner to work (I have 5 kids and our house isn't really big) maybe I'll make a bag to store them in and feel better about what little I have....
Will your bag be big enough for 5 kids? :lol:
I started sorting my material by color in plastic bin stacked on top of each other. I have one little bin for scraps. But it is overflowing.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 PM

Lol! I love scraps! I have 2 full size laundry baskets under my cutting table, FULL! I occasionally sort through them and take larger pieces and cut them into 3 in squares up to 8, and use the smaller pieces for mug rugs, crazy quilts, potholders, etc. I LOVE my scrap baskets! When $$ is tight, DIG!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 PM

I have my scraps sorted by color and stored in large ziploc bags with the bags stuffed into a 5 drawer storage container in the extra closet in our bedroom (the spare bedroom closet is already full of totes of yardage stash!!). My goal is to slowly take over the entire house for my quilting habit. My DH can have the half of the garage where my car isn't parked for his hobbies, but only if he wants to leave his car in the driveway!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:08 PM

I store all of mine in big see through Tubs , darks and Mediums
together and lights in different ones. I don't have all that much not like some here do, I try and cut out 5" or 6" squares from allot of it and store in big Ice Cream Plastic containers that are easy to stack in closet's. Hope you can get yours the way you'd like them to be. :D
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM

That's not much at all :lol: .
I don't have mine organized at all. I have TONS of them and I keep finding them...lol. I keep them in drawers(the plastic cabinets) and bins, where ever I can fit them.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
Here's a great way to organize scraps and since you're just starting you can get it right from the start. I've got several large bins full and some drawers full as well. It will take me forever to get them all sorted out.

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
Jeanelle - I* sort of did this tonight - I sorted everything by size - triangles; squares; strips etc...then some went into baggies and others went into those drawer bins under my cutting table. I did take some time and sew a bunch of 20X20 squares of scraps that were different sizes but the same fabric patters - had fun doing that.

I think I'm just fidgety tonight because I didn't feel like working on my tube quilt or penquin quilt I'm WIP'ing....
Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssnare
Originally Posted by pamkasperi
Yeah I figured I didn't have much yet - but I'm sort of neat and stuck in a corner to work (I have 5 kids and our house isn't really big) maybe I'll make a bag to store them in and feel better about what little I have....
Will your bag be big enough for 5 kids? :lol:
I started sorting my material by color in plastic bin stacked on top of each other. I have one little bin for scraps. But it is overflowing.
Sherry - too funny - my youngest daughter reminded me that she doesn't have a quilt from me and those scraps would work just fine for her....I said right now its probably only enough for a skirt - being 15 she said "ugh MOOOOmmmmm!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:24 PM

Scraps? You mean those tiny little smigins that are too little to fold? Little squiggly corner pieces. I can't stand keeping them around. I keep them cut up into squares, triangles, or make crumb blocks. I can decide what to do with the cut pieces later, but at least they are ready to be productive. I don't have room to store a bag of left overs that look like "junk" to the unbeliever.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

Thanks everyone - this is cool to hear - I was getting nervous that I was hoarding material rather than having something useful....my husband saw me responding a minute ago and asked if I had confessed that I had material stashed under every table in the house that could have a table cloth over it to hid what was under...I asked him if he wanted to sleep on the couch...and then figured I'd confess anyway....