Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps >

Scraps

Scraps

Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
Scraps? You mean those tiny little smigins that are too little to fold? Little squiggly corner pieces. I can't stand keeping them around. I keep them cut up into squares, triangles, or make crumb blocks. I can decide what to do with the cut pieces later, but at least they are ready to be productive. I don't have room to store a bag of left overs that look like "junk" to the unbeliever.
SaraSewing - what are "crumb blocks"????
Old 01-10-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi
Scraps? You mean those tiny little smigins that are too little to fold? Little squiggly corner pieces. I can't stand keeping them around. I keep them cut up into squares, triangles, or make crumb blocks. I can decide what to do with the cut pieces later, but at least they are ready to be productive. I don't have room to store a bag of left overs that look like "junk" to the unbeliever.
Crumb blocks are my latest craze. Go to quiltville.com to find a great example. I have been on a kick of them because they are ADICTIVE! Do a search at the top of this page to find more. I just finished one quilt and have another ready to set together. And have almost zero teeny scraps left!

here's one example
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157797[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157792.jpe  
Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned

Crumb blocks are my latest craze. Go to quiltville.com to find a great example. I have been on a kick of them because they are ADICTIVE! Do a search at the top of this page to find more. I just finished one quilt and have another ready to set together. And have almost zero teeny scraps left!
Sara - this is sort of what I did tonight...and here I thought I was being original :roll:

I have to charge my camera battery (must have left it on last night) and I'll take a pic.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I use Bonnie Hunters method..

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

I have mine in sterilite drawers like she does, labeled by size, some by color, I even have drawers for each individual shapes cut out from my Accuquilt Go cutter. Anywhere I can fit the drawers I did.. I cant seem to toss anything away..

I currently have a Crumb UFO goin on.. .

WIP/UFO
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157801[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157796.jpe  
Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 PM
QM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
AWW, honey, you haven't got much at all, considering what some of us have in boxes, bags, baskets, bales and hidden here and there so no one can actually tell what we have. And even we don't remember where we put most of it some of the time!!
Me too. 2 years ago, I had 6 large plastic moving boxes filled with scraps. In a week's TV listening, I went through 3 of the boxes. I cut them into categories of Squares: 2.5", 3.5", 4", 4.5", 5", 5.5 and 6", with another category for long and skinny, and one for 2.5x5.5. By getting rid of the truly useless bits, I cut the volume in about half. I have now used almost all of those precuts. I don't know, or want to know where I am on scraps right now. I put each batch in its own grocery bag for sorting. Most of the piles were transferred into labeled gallon plastic bags, with the air squished out for smaller storage. The 3.5", 4", 4.5", of which there were less, went into small plastic bins. I often go to them for applique pieces, as well as many other uses.

I have a separate box for "critters". I know I will use those in kid quilts.

One of my guild sisters takes the time to cut off any useless bits as she goes along, then stores the remaining scraps by size and color. She came to a guild session with a plastic shoebox each of red, blue and green, all 2x5. She whipped out a Chinese coins quilt in very little time. I don't even want to be as organized as she is, but I do admire her work.

Sarasewing, I like your blocks. Good work.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

Here is one of the pieces I did tonight....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157803.jpe   attachment-157804.jpe  
Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM

I think this is the ultimate "Green" ! We use almost everything ! Wouldn't our Grandmothers be proud?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM

mine are in plastic bins. I have one that all scraps go into, then as I cut those down into certain sizes and shapes they move to other bins. Keeps me organized and helps me know when it's time ot make a quilt with a certain size piece (postage stamp, jelly roll, etc...)
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM

How do you store your scraps? I started with a plastic bag and then last week moved to this really cute basket I have and now I"m using a grocery sack; the gallon size baggie and the basket.
LOL, You have been extremely busy! Could those scraps be made into a scrappy quilt? I made one with the scraps from a LQS that was throwing the scraps away. Here is my link. It's the last one entitled 'Love has no plan'. Close up pictures on the following page.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-80431-1.htm
Old 01-11-2011, 11:35 AM
QM
Power Poster

My LQS gives its remnants to about 4 of us in rotation. We all use them for charity quilts. The LQS then takes in scraps from its customers and adds them to what it gives us.

No down side there! Some are big enough to go into non-scrappy quilts for me. The rest are used scrappily.