Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Scraps

Some of them I have cut into 2, 2.5,3,3.5 & 4" strips or if not enough for strips then into squares. I store them in plastic containers and have made several 9 patch quilts from some of them. I also have some in the downstairs closet in a large bag that I havn't gone thru yet and they have been in that bag for forever. Maybe some day. :wink:

I sort mine by color but use sterlite boxes so I can see the color inside.

Hi,
    I'm new to the quilting board, but I have found a scrap system that works for me. First, though, I asked all my quilting buddies to donate all their throw-away scraps to me because I make beds for shelter dogs. These make great stuffing! Some things they toss, however, are still usable for "string" blocks. So, I bought 2 LARGE plastic storage boxes & started with all my scraps in one. When I use scrap, I toss the rest of it into the 2nd box. That way I won't use the same fabric twice, which is cool in a string quilt! If I ever get to the bottom of the 1st box, I'll just reverse & keep on quilting!

So far, my scraps haven't stayed scraps very long... they either get used in another project, or they get thrown away. I think scraps multiply at night while we're asleep.

I use those zipper bags too M.I.Late; in fact.....I use everything I have on hand for my "scrap stash"... lol
    BTW, we are neighbors as I see you are in Spring, Tx! I'm in zip 77070 right next door to Spring.

Judy in Tx

I have two cardboard boxes with the large and the small scraps. But I have been trying to make a few 6" square Heart sting blocks. So a plastic box holding them. When the plastic box is full, I'll see if there's enough for at least a lap quilt. Now that I save scraps, I can see how much money I used to throw away. oh, not good.

Blog Entries
    I have mine in plastic bins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    AWW, honey, you haven't got much at all, considering what some of us have in boxes, bags, baskets, bales and hidden here and there so no one can actually tell what we have. And even we don't remember where we put most of it some of the time!!
    Haha! Like what you said. I'm heading there.

Must be your new at this game! LOL!

It's amazing how quickly those scraps add up. I have a big basket I keep under the opening of my sewing machine table and I drop them in there until it fills. I have a blanket chest full of scraps also. Now my favorite quilt is a scrappy one, so I regularly use my scraps and have never needed anymore space than the basket and chest.

I'm struggling with how to organize my scraps too. Haven't read thru all the responses but I will. I have alot more with Mom's stash added. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    How do you store your scraps? I started with a plastic bag and then last week moved to this really cute basket I have and now I"m using a grocery sack; the gallon size baggie and the basket.
    Wow - compared to you, I'm a scrapaholic!! I sort mine by neutrals and then by colour groups in RubberMaid totes. I have my lengths (usually 3 yards) folded on a bookshelf, sorted by colour groups. It is so much fun to mix and match when you find a great pattern. BTW, I decided to use up my neutral and pink scraps and made a lovely big log cabin quilt. It didn't even make a dent in my scrap piles!! The one who dies with the most scraps wins!!

Since I started sewing when I was in junior high (more than 50 yrs. ago) I have had a LOT of scraps but I've never really had a system for sorting them until now. Everytime I've moved through the years I've given away large trash bags full of scraps (the last move yielded 4 lawn/leaf bags FULL)but like a lot of you I've come to realize that scraps are very handy. I've recently been going through them and cutting the largest piece I can from the scrap & on down from there. If I have yardage I cut it into 2 1/2" strips. I have a friend who owns a pizza place & she's very generous with her boxes, so I sort my scraps by the size I've cut them & store them in the pizza boxes. So far it's probably the best thing I've done for my stash in years.

i have those clear plastic shoe boxes and have them sorted by size. they can slide under a bed or stack on a shelf. keeps them tidy

I put my small projects in see thru zippered bags. My scraps are all over. LOL I think that's why I love Eleanor Burns.

Please don't laugh, but I use the BIG cat litter jugs with the handles (my cat uses crystal litter). They can stack, they're "grabbable" and they live on two shelves on the wall so they're out of the way.

I sort by color mostly, with a separate jug for batiks, Christmas and Halloween. I also have a separate jug for leftover binding (that's been pressed in half and is ready to use on smaller projects) and bias binding tubes (each in its own ziplock to prevent tangling.

I don't use anything smaller than a 3" square, giving the rest to my guild's miniature quilt bee.

You only have two! I think I have about ten tubs and a dresser full. My daughter tells me I should open my own fabric store. I remember there might be a couple of moving boxes full in the basement and more in the garage from when we moved in 2004.

Toni (sewsewnice)

I FORGOT: I have nother jug for the superthin strips you get from trimming/suqaring up blocks and the rabbit/dog ears you trim from triangles and such go into another for my guild's Art Quilt Bee.

Blog Entries
    I have at least 6 large totes,plus plastic shoe boxes, card board boxes full of scraps. The only way they are organized is by fabric type, cotton, poly, etc..., I tried to start sorting but there is too much. If you are strapped for cash go to the post office and pickup priority mail boxes for free and mark them by 1/2 in increments Starting at the smallest piece you are willing to work with. Once you have your discard pile you can either throw away(God Forbid) or use them for stuffing, pillow, dog bed, what ever. But start right away or you will be like me and overwhelmed with scraps. Luckily I like to make crazy quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by stchenfool
    I have heard that it is not a good idea to store fabric in a plastic bags - doesn't allow the fabric to breath as cotton is a natural fiber.
    I'll bet your gals in a humid climate have that problem. In the desert there is no moisture - not for our scraps or our faces!

Quote Originally Posted by SaraSewing
    Quote Originally Posted by stchenfool
    I have heard that it is not a good idea to store fabric in a plastic bags - doesn't allow the fabric to breath as cotton is a natural fiber.
    I'll bet your gals in a humid climate have that problem. In the desert there is no moisture - not for our scraps or our faces!
    Your post made me laugh! When my BFF and I took up cross-country skiing, we used to say that the women in the desert states would pay a fortune to have their faces packed in snow and we got the same spa treatment for free every time we fell and did a face-plant in the snow!!!

How "true" this is!

Bonnie in Mariposa, CA

Blog Entries
    2 large totes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right now mine are all in a commercial type drawer and some in big plastic tubs. But since getting the Accuquilt Go for Christmas I plan on cutting them and organizing them by size and color one day soon.

QM
    My DH hates her. He has even been known to turn off the TV when she starts throwing things, even though he is usually very mellow.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast