Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Scraps

I cut squares all day yesterday..anywhere from 2.5" to 5"..depending on size of my fabric..got through a large bag..will just sew the squares into charity quilts..sure takes up a lot less room when they are cut..will store them in the see through shoe boxes..

Do you have Senior Centers in your country. I used to donate my scarps to the center near my home, but I now make scrap quilts. Not like the fancy ones in the books just whatever fabric I have. I said I was going to make a wall quilt from the quilts i make this year. Put it on the wall in my sewing room/den and see my colors and choices for the year. :lol:

learning how to take pictures and put them on the computer is another class.

Most pieces of fabric of 1/2 yard or less have been cut into pieces that I use for my quilts. I have 2 1/2 inch squares 3 1/2 inch squares, 4 1/2 inch squares and 6 1/2 inch squares. I also have 2/1/2 by 6 1/2 inch strips. I have a tote box of pieces in each of these dimensions. I also have a shoe box of 6 1/2 inch strips of various strips. Anything smaller than 2 1/2 inches square is thrown in a BIG box to be used for crumb blocks. I don't consider anything over 1/2 yard a scrap. With all those squares just waiting to be sewn into quilts, I'm itching to sew another 1,000 pyramids quilt.

Check out quiltville.com. Bonnie Hunter has her own Scrap Saver System. Cut your scraps into usable sizes. Sort by Neutrals and other colors... Then when you want to sew and make a quilt they are already cut and you can just start sewing. She has many, many patterns on her site for FREE.... She now has her third book out..

I decided to make bags like shopping bags out of scraps. I have made about 10 and have sold 5 of them so far. they look like small quilts.

Would love to see a picture. Please post.
    Quote Originally Posted by ritamae
    I decided to make bags like shopping bags out of scraps. I have made about 10 and have sold 5 of them so far. they look like small quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
    Would love to see a picture. Please post.
    Quote Originally Posted by ritamae
    And please put those pictures here also so we can see them without a huge hunt!!! ty

Here are some photos of the scraps quilt from Bonnie's class I took last summer. The first is letters and pieces and the second is the crumb quilt from the small blocks.

Crumb bits
    Name:  Attachment-154730.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  86.2 KB

Crumb quilt
    Name:  Attachment-154731.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  66.8 KB

Here are a few more I found... I have about 3-4 others, but I need to take photos...

another angle of crumbs
    Name:  Attachment-155041.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  71.4 KB

Dark Purple crumb quilt
    Name:  Attachment-155042.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  57.2 KB

purple close up
    Name:  Attachment-155043.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  55.6 KB

These are all fabulous. What fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobylehnj
    Here are a few more I found... I have about 3-4 others, but I need to take photos...

Loved all of your quilts, especially the one set together with purple, my favorite color.

very nice :lol:

Blog Entries
    I just read this idea...for small scraps this woman uses a small trash pail , lines it with a pillow sack. She puts in her small scraps and when its full sews it and donates it to the animal shelter. http://bunnyrose.typepad.com/bunny_r...for-kitty.html

Our animal shelter will not take them..I was going to make pillows out of them ..but they said no..I think it would be a good idea as long as the animal did not chew them open..they want blankets or rugs..

Blog Entries
    I use to volunteer at the animal shelter and we used them for the cats. So much better then laying on metal or just a plain towel. they can not be thick since they are washed alot. I will use the thick ones for my kitties. My Cats love fabric.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathyquilter34
    Our animal shelter will not take them..I was going to make pillows out of them ..but they said no..I think it would be a good idea as long as the animal did not chew them open..they want blankets or rugs..

Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Yeah I figured I didn't have much yet - but I'm sort of neat and stuck in a corner to work (I have 5 kids and our house isn't really big) maybe I'll make a bag to store them in and feel better about what little I have....

Do ya'll store them by color or type of piece or just jumbled together and when you need something you just dig through till you find it?
    Yep, that is how I do it!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6