Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Scraps

Quote Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
    Here's a great way to organize scraps and since you're just starting you can get it right from the start. I've got several large bins full and some drawers full as well. It will take me forever to get them all sorted out.

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
    I use Bonnie's system also. I have plastic shoe boxes ($1.00 at Big Lots) with different size strips and squares all cut up. I also have a large plastic box that I have been throwing my scraps in, and my Aunt's stash she gave me. If a piece of fabric is not big enough to fold around my 6" ruler, it gets cut into strips and squares!

Quote Originally Posted by vjengels
    I store mine by color in those opaque shoe boxes,selveges, and 'strings' left after squaring up go into a bag ; I use those for tying in the garden, the future selvege quilt I have planned, and a wrapped clothesline bag I want to make... but before they go there, they lay in a pretty pile on the work top until all my blocks are made for that project.
    Could you identify the "wrapped clothesline bag"? I remember my mother having a clothesline bag. It caught my eye. Please and thanks!

I seperate mine by lights, medium and darks. SOMEDAY I will go back and redo same as well by size. String verses squares. I do not have enough to hide either, my sister in law owns a shop and last summer she gave me quite a few scraps and then I dug through her garbage for what she was throwing out !!!!! I beg her to save for me haha....

I have a cartoon on my refrigerator. Two farmers are talking with a silo in the distance behind them. One farmer is pointing to the silo, and the other farmer says, "Grain? No, that's where my wife stores her fabric!" Makes me chuckle when I stop to read it. I only wish I had one, as it would be a great place to store it:-)

a regular here
    I through mine a plastic bag and then when the mood takes me transfer them to individual bags by colour.

Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    Yeah I figured I didn't have much yet - but I'm sort of neat and stuck in a corner to work (I have 5 kids and our house isn't really big) maybe I'll make a bag to store them in and feel better about what little I have....

Do ya'll store them by color or type of piece or just jumbled together and when you need something you just dig through till you find it?
    Color or type ex Christmas or flannel

Quote Originally Posted by Char
    I'm planning to chop my scraps up with the accuquilt go and then sort them into boxes by size.
    I definitely don't have a system, but I find that boxes are better than bags. I've got both, but I'm getting ready to get rid of all those bags. They're hard to "stash." Boxes can be stacked.

Oh gee whiz! I just gave away, to a church group, 3 garbage bags of scraps. I felt guilty giving it away but it needed a home. I figure by the time a make an entire scrappy quilt I will have enough scraps again. Hope they enjoy them, and good luck with your scraps.

Do you make scrap quilts? If so, when you get an acumulation of scraps its time to make a scrap quilt.
    If you do not make scrap quilts, theres no reason to save them.
    Sell/trade to quilters who make scrap quilts.

Rubbermaid bin...I even took the time to iron and fold each piece to neaten it up...didn't last long when I rumbled thru it trying to find pieces for Applique...back to a mess...There's got to be a real solution to scraps you can never use them up I've tried. Even made a Crazy quilt (King size) and tons are still left...

Yesterday I took my scraps to our quilting get together..and I cut all sizes of squares..put them together in groups..what was left I cut into strips for my strip quilt..now ready to make some charity quilts..you girls have me on a roll..lol

My strings are stored in gift bags according to color, squares and rectangles are in a drawer sorted by size. I use my strings as enders/leaders and store those blocks in a boot box.

A
    I cut my scraps into 2 1/2" or 3 1/2" strips by color, roll all that type of color up together & tie it with a tiny long scrap strip. They are in a matress covering bag, zipped up so I can see all the different colors by sizes. I don't applique, only strip quilt, so this works for me! The bad is BIG & wonderful to look in through the plastic.

I tend to cut my scraps into 2 1/2" strips, and store them in sandwich bags. keeps them from fraying and I can sort through them without getting tangled up. Anything less than 1/2 yd gets this treatment, anything more than 1/2 yd goes back on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
    Here's a great way to organize scraps and since you're just starting you can get it right from the start. I've got several large bins full and some drawers full as well. It will take me forever to get them all sorted out.

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
    Mine is similar to this site. I have bought photo boxes for my scraps starting at 1.5", half inch increments to 6.5 and then go to a larger storage unit. When a photo box gets full I make a scrappy quilt to help empty the box. Right now I am cutting down some of the 3.5" and 4" larger sizes to 1" to 2" strips for my scrappy strip quilt. My 2.5" I do not cut down.

Hah! We had to build an addition onto our house so I could have a place to store all my quilting fabric/embroidery machines and supplies/sewing supplies. You are just getting started, Luv! I keep the fabric in see through tubs and in a six fioot six-drawer chest. I like the see through tubs the best, and I organize them by the size of the cuts they contain. I had always thought I would do it by color groups, but the farthest I got with that was my collection of FQ's.

I use plastic sandwich baggies then I put them in flat storage boxes. I Paper Piece & most of the blocks only need 5 or 6 inches of scraps.

I have a rubber maid tubby full of scraps.

The totes that I use are for Christmas wrap & I have 5 of them. Plus I have more in RubberMaid totes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    AWW, honey, you haven't got much at all, considering what some of us have in boxes, bags, baskets, bales and hidden here and there so no one can actually tell what we have. And even we don't remember where we put most of it some of the time!!
    Hi everyone: thanx for your tips on the "rag quilt sure helped,, getting to "sraps "I have a 1/2 dz of the storage bags you use a vaccum and it "shrinks" down to nutin, they hold lots I also have uhum (last count) 4 tubs full, my husband said if this keeps up he'll go sleep in the den.. guess what .. I have the bed to myself.. I don't think I'm evil,, yes he came back.. lol ;-)

QM
    Gail G, I have bags toorganize both my boxes and my drawers.

BTW, DH built me some drawers that are on super strong (200#) full length pull out rollers. The drawers are 8" deep and 24x36". I love them enourmously. They are not for scarps, but could be with plastic bags of similar types.

I started neatly storing scraps in see through containers by color. As the piles grew by years I ran out of boxes and space ( my room is small, and so is my apartment)to store them. Now I seem to toss all in the largest boxes I happen to find, dump them all in and hope for the best. Should be the other way round, I quess. I do PLAN a lot though. Maybe some day...I have more scraps than fabrics. I love scrap quilts. Only when I make one I seem to have more scraps than I had to start with!Must find a bigger storage box.

QM
    I KNOW I have more scraps than whole fabrics.

This week I started making quilts out of my scraps. they don't have to be color coordinated I just use what I have. since they are already cut it is easier to assemble the quilts. I am making twin size ones. I think I will give them to my greatgrandchildren for christmas. I even put christmas fabric in them. I still have enough scraps to make at least 20 more.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ritamae
    This week I started making quilts out of my scraps. they don't have to be color coordinated I just use what I have. since they are already cut it is easier to assemble the quilts. I am making twin size ones. I think I will give them to my greatgrandchildren for christmas. I even put christmas fabric in them. I still have enough scraps to make at least 20 more.
    Just make sure you show pix of these--can't wait to see them!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast