Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seam rippers >

Seam rippers

Seam rippers

Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter Lois
A while back someone introduced me to a novel seam ripper. Actually it is not a "seam ripper" it is an eyebrow hair thinner! It comes from the dollar store in the makeup department. Holding the fabric seam apart, you just lay it on the seam and gently tug downward and it works much better than any of my regular seam rippers. Anyone ever here about this device or used one?

There are several types of these eyebrow razors so I am showing you two. Can't remember what the small one was called.
Oh my gosh! Your cat is hillarious!! Too funny!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:47 PM

Sure sounds like it would be worth a try, thanks for the headsup.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:39 AM

something new...
Old 10-09-2011, 02:50 AM

That is very cool.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter Lois
A while back someone introduced me to a novel seam ripper. Actually it is not a "seam ripper" it is an eyebrow hair thinner! It comes from the dollar store in the makeup department. Holding the fabric seam apart, you just lay it on the seam and gently tug downward and it works much better than any of my regular seam rippers. Anyone ever here about this device or used one?

There are several types of these eyebrow razors so I am showing you two. Can't remember what the small one was called.
Used one for the first time a few days ago. Loved it. Doesn't poke holes in the fabric, "bounced" the blade on the threads - worked like a charm.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Many years ago my mother taught me to rip seams by holding the seam apart and using a razor blade. Fast? You betcha!

When I took sewing classes in school and needed to rip a seam I asked teacher for the razor blade. She darn near fainted!!

Since then I've been using a ripper and cutting every 3-5 stitches then pulling them out with the ripper. Every now and then though if I have a very long seam to rip .... I want my razor blade back!!
I also learned how to rip out seams using razor blades! They last a long time and they're cheap!
My mother used razor blades too, but she also used a lot of band aids. I also remember her having to take seams in deeper because she nicked the fabric. I use the spring type surgical scissors, or the surgical stitch cutters, much safer than razor blades. But I will have to make a trip to the Dollar Store for these.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:45 AM

Great tip. I never heard of this before but Knew there had to be a better way to rip.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:12 AM

I have a scalpel that is curved and it works great. Will have to take a look at the razors. We used razor blades when I was a kid but I just don't like working with razor blades. Ann in Tn
Old 10-09-2011, 04:26 AM
tmg

I need to try this one out. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:44 AM

The home improvement and hardware stores carry a single edged razor blade that's made for a scraper. They work great and are much safer to use as well as cheaper. Just be careful that you don't cut the material. It's awfully easy to do using a razor blade.