Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
it seams that 300.00 times 3 is a lot of money  to me help me!!!! >

it seams that 300.00 times 3 is a lot of money to me help me!!!!

it seams that 300.00 times 3 is a lot of money to me help me!!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 AM

I don't think you are charging enough. Think about it, cutting all the pieces and piecing them together, laying them out, sewing your rows; now you have to get on the floor and bast it with batting and backing, then quilt it. I would say the least you should be charging is $650.00 - for a friend.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 AM

When a friend's husband asked me to make a quilt (and I didn't want to), I broke down the expenses for him and told him how much time it would take me. I told him the cost of the fabric, the quilting, the batting, the thread, and then told him to decide whether he wanted to spend that much. I didn't hear from him again. First, do you want to do it? If not, say so. If you want to do it, you need to ask a price that you think is fair regardless of what the other person thinks is fair. Then let them decide whether they want to pay your price.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 AM

I have been making photo quilts for all the grandkids for their high school graduations. My SIL asked me if I would make one for her dau. At first I wasn't going to, but then I decided I would if she wanted to pay me time & material. I told her everything that goes into it and told her I would want $12 an hr plus cost of fabric. That sounds like a lot of money, but it's a lot of work. It happens this year I don't have to do one for the gks, so I will have the time. They (her & her husband) decided they want me to do it, so I am. I don't think $12 an hr. is unreasonable. It is a lot of work and it takes away time you could be spending on your own projects. That alone makes it worth that much.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 AM

Do not give yourtime and creativity away. I have charged as much as 6oo for a quilt. They furnish the fabric, machine pieced ha d quilted. -i do not quilt for friends. Think about it
Old 10-12-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by memathomas
Originally Posted by ausywa
what is a feedsack
The answer to that question. Here is a brief history of the feed sack:
go to
http://www.rickrack.com/feedsack.html\\

mema
Is that $36 each for a feed sack? I have about 800 feed sacks, maybe I need to start selling them.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by memathomas
they are easy one is a nine patch the others not decided yet they really left it up to me so i wont get in to deep. they are buying the backing i have the batting we should be fine.

thanks for this help

i wish i could use caps to say "i love you guys " thanks
Here's a picture of a feed sack pattern that my quilt club made. Then we went to a quilt show and someone else had made it also and won a ribbon.
I made that pattern out of feed sacks too.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 AM

As a kid, I received hand-me down dresses from both a cousin and an aunt. I can remember Grandmother sending Granddad back to the store because he had gotten 2 of the 3 sacks that matched and she had wanted all 3 to match!! I now have the quilt tops she made from left over feed sacks! She even used feed sacks if they were pretty. Lots of memories...
Old 10-12-2010, 09:40 AM

I had a similar quandary a few years ago, but went ahead and charged a higher than I felt comfortable price. Not only did the customer not blink, but I got a lot more business after I raised my prices. It seems I was "too cheap" and people were afraid that meant the quality of my work was cheap too. Remember, good quilts are art, and a very specialized skill - don't underestimate or underprice your value!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 AM

I never make a quilt for less than $500. If they want cheap I direct them to Walmart, Target, or Kmart.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:34 PM

My question is what size are these quilts? That would to me say how much you would be charging..The bigger the more you charge...