Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sears black Featherweight... >

Sears black Featherweight...

Sears black Featherweight...

Old 06-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Well, here is what I found so far. Made January 5, 1948 in ELizabth NJ. There is a picture ofoneon ebay Listing item # 120577917090 for 125.00 It is the right model 15 1948 Singer Sewing Machine model 15. Apparently that year 35000 were mfg. Have to go for now so will continue in the morning. Thank you. BTW. this picturel ooks just like it but the one I have in mounted in a desk.
Ok If it's a model 15, it's not a Singer featherweight. (They are models 221 and 222.) However, I love the model 15 too. They are fun, fun, fun!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:05 PM

I'm brand new to quilting but I just happen to have a Singer Featherweight II that was given to me by my sister in law. It sews just fine and has a needle threader incorperated into it. I was just reading a quilting book that I picked up and there was a article about vintage machines. It said that it was a collectors item. Don't know how much it is worth in the dollar sense though.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Beginner64
I'm brand new to quilting but I just happen to have a Singer Featherweight II that was given to me by my sister in law. It sews just fine and has a needle threader incorperated into it. I was just reading a quilting book that I picked up and there was a article about vintage machines. It said that it was a collectors item. Don't know how much it is worth in the dollar sense though.
Is this the white plastic featherweight? I think the needle threader is a giveaway; the vintage machines did not have needle threaders. Assuming it is the modern machine, it is a fine machine to have but will not have collector's value.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by Beginner64
Is this the white plastic featherweight? I think the needle threader is a giveaway; the vintage machines did not have needle threaders. Assuming it is the modern machine, it is a fine machine to have but will not have collector's value.
Yes it is the white plastic featherweight. Sorry to hear that it is not a collectors item.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:30 PM

(It is the right model 15 1948 Singer Sewing Machine model 15.)

Singer Model 15 is a good machine. My treadle is a Model 15 and I love the stitch that it makes. From reading aroun on the web, it is one of the sturdiest home sewing machines that Singer has made. I've read that the only other machine that could beat it out would be a model 201. I haven't seen one, but I would love to try one out sometime.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:37 PM

(You wrote: Sorry to hear that it is not a collectors item.)

Congratulations on your sewing machine. :thumbup:

The reason the older featherweights became collector items is because they are so light and have a wonderful stitch. Being lightweight makes it easier to take to quilting groups. I've never tried the new Singer featherweights, but if they have the same characteristics (being lightweight and great stitch) they will do just as well as the older ones.

From what I have heard, the big difference between the older featherweights and the newer featherweights is that the older ones are made of metal gears. This has given them a long life and they are still working even after 70+ years.

I have two older featherweights. I bought one several years ago and then later my mother gave me her featherweight. I don't use them as much for quilting pieces as my 401 and 403 Singers. I like the 401 and 403 because I can move the needle to the right to get my perfect 1/4 seam. Even with a quarter inch foot, I can never seem to get a good 1/4 seam with my other machines.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:21 PM

I have a Singer Featherweight made in 1936 - in Elizabeth, NJ. Actually I think they all were. It was my grandmother's machine which I inherited. Luckiest girl in the world. I have 2 other machines. Do I use them? - uh, no. This past year I finally had to replace the motor - the paper insulation had finally worn out and I was being subjected to shock therapy which had not been prescribed .. yet. Fortunately I have a sewing machine guy with a halo on his head. Runs like a champ again - every day.
Good luck to you with your new machine. Whatever brand it is, if it stitches back and forth with a dependable stitch, you got what you were looking for.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:58 PM

OK , I followed JJS path to Sandman and all the way down to No 9. The picture of the machien is identical to the one sitting by me here. SO it is an early model Egyptian style because of the gold paint embellishing all over. The other 15-91 etc are plain black. Mine is No 9., So I will be satisfied with that model. Gonig to order a book and be sure. So now I can name her. Kind of Corny but what do you think about Cleopatra. After all she is of egyptian descent. LOL.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:05 PM

Oops.;I am going to do a little more research. I pulled the picture of mine up so it was on screen and there are differences in the machines. Mine is no where on there. I will have to follow every step later. Back to the drawing board.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Prism if you PM me your email maybe I can get this thign to email the picture as I cannot get it to load. I load all others off my cd disc but have had no success with this little SD card loader. Thank you