Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sears black Featherweight...

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Today I ran across an old sears black featherweight at a sale fro 65.00. It looks to be very taken care of. When she finished sewing she had a small piece of fabric under the needle and the needle down. I am going back in the morning to buy it. Does any one know if this is a good price. It is absolutely beautiful.
    Where do I look to see the actual age of the machine, how can I tell if it is worth it. I will check this post in the monring to see any responses before I go. Hope to hear from someone.

Blog Entries
    You should check to see what model it is and if possible and you have a serial no., you can check to know the year it was made on the Singer website. I am assuming this is a singer that you're talking about. Anyway, I would do some research on this becuse the Singer FW's I've seen start at around $300. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    IF it sews smoothly and looks beautiful - it's worth - what you can afford...IMHO :)

Oh, Debbie, sounds like a nice machine! Lucky you, a featherweight. Now, in true yard sale style, try talking them down, lol! I really dont know values, but it really sounds like a good deal to me!

Pam
    We want to see pics!

I have never seen a Sears Featherweight. Do you have a picture?

Sounds great to me.

Blog Entries
    I've only seen one of these. I would buy it in a minute!

Blog Entries
    Are you sure it's Sears?

A vintage Singer featherweight has a little sewing table to the left of the needle that is hinged, so you can flip it up for the machine to fit in its carrying case. The only other vintage Singer featherweight made is more rare, more expensive, and has a table that slides onto the machine from the left (instead of the hinged table). If it's not one of these, I'm not sure why the machine is being called a featherweight.

Blog Entries
    Sears did make what they called a lightweight portable, Sears Kenmore Model 158, it was their version of a Singer Featherweight so people started calling it a Sears Featherweight. I've never seen a black one though. I would double check that.

Blog Entries
    Oh, okay. I Googled and found this picture and info about the Kenmore 158:

Edit: Sorry, that link didn't work and I'm unable to include a tinyurl link to the website.

Did you get it Debbie? Inquiring minds wanna know, lol!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    OK I did get it. I have the info on it too. But let me explain my reasoning for thinking it is a featherweight. LOL. I thought if it looked small and black and old like Grannie used to sew on, it was known as a featherweight. Anyway, I haven't been able to find it online but here is the info.
    The numbers I have found and name are this: Simanco USA,
    125255, The Singer Manft Trademark
    AH 396944. Hope this helps you find it Prism99. I think it may be a cheaper one now that you pointed it out to me. But is is worth a million because I was so excited when I found it and it is the first ever I bought at a garage sale. Let's see who can find out first. I appreciate the help.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    OK to begin with it is not a sears. Must have had a brain fade. It is a Singer and I googled and found a listing for a Singer Featherweight 1948 AH series. But no more info on it. SO will keep trying.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Well, here is what I found so far. Made January 5, 1948 in ELizabth NJ. There is a picture ofoneon ebay Listing item # 120577917090 for 125.00 It is the right model 15 1948 Singer Sewing Machine model 15. Apparently that year 35000 were mfg. Have to go for now so will continue in the morning. Thank you. BTW. this picturel ooks just like it but the one I have in mounted in a desk.

Good for you Debbie! I am excited for you! :D Are you going to name it?

Yeah Debbie! You FOUND a featherweight.....almost all of us are searching for one, lol! Great deal!

Blog Entries
    I'm so excited for you!! Sounds like a wonderful machine! I can't wait to see pics of it!!

(pssst! Your listing number takes us to a pretty peach outfit ;) )

Blog Entries
    awesome

JJs
    Banned
    you'll love it - a true workhorse....

now you need to figure out which one:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Sandman-Colle...-Template.html

if you got the one that the feed dogs drop 15-90, it's great for free motion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Well, here is what I found so far. Made January 5, 1948 in ELizabth NJ. There is a picture ofoneon ebay Listing item # 120577917090 for 125.00 It is the right model 15 1948 Singer Sewing Machine model 15. Apparently that year 35000 were mfg. Have to go for now so will continue in the morning. Thank you. BTW. this picturel ooks just like it but the one I have in mounted in a desk.
    Ok If it's a model 15, it's not a Singer featherweight. (They are models 221 and 222.) However, I love the model 15 too. They are fun, fun, fun!

I'm brand new to quilting but I just happen to have a Singer Featherweight II that was given to me by my sister in law. It sews just fine and has a needle threader incorperated into it. I was just reading a quilting book that I picked up and there was a article about vintage machines. It said that it was a collectors item. Don't know how much it is worth in the dollar sense though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beginner64
    I'm brand new to quilting but I just happen to have a Singer Featherweight II that was given to me by my sister in law. It sews just fine and has a needle threader incorperated into it. I was just reading a quilting book that I picked up and there was a article about vintage machines. It said that it was a collectors item. Don't know how much it is worth in the dollar sense though.
    Is this the white plastic featherweight? I think the needle threader is a giveaway; the vintage machines did not have needle threaders. Assuming it is the modern machine, it is a fine machine to have but will not have collector's value.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Quote Originally Posted by Beginner64
    Is this the white plastic featherweight? I think the needle threader is a giveaway; the vintage machines did not have needle threaders. Assuming it is the modern machine, it is a fine machine to have but will not have collector's value.
    Yes it is the white plastic featherweight. Sorry to hear that it is not a collectors item.

Blog Entries
    (It is the right model 15 1948 Singer Sewing Machine model 15.)

Singer Model 15 is a good machine. My treadle is a Model 15 and I love the stitch that it makes. From reading aroun on the web, it is one of the sturdiest home sewing machines that Singer has made. I've read that the only other machine that could beat it out would be a model 201. I haven't seen one, but I would love to try one out sometime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast