Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Seasons of Color? >
  • Seasons of Color?

• Seasons of Color?

Old 09-29-2017, 05:27 PM
    Power Poster

I also love green fabrics. Any kind or color. I wear a lot of green. No reason really, I just love it and it fits into any season.
    But, I try and match up colors for quilting to the person. (If it is a gift) That way, it is appreciated more. If you looked into my stash the most fabric in one colorway would be black and white prints. I have three quilts I am planning to make and I needed to have them on hand.
    Old 09-29-2017, 06:54 PM
    Power Poster

I like almost all colors. Not really neon colors. I try to have lots of different colors in my fabrics.
    Old 09-30-2017, 02:12 AM

I go in phases, too. I was using a lot of pink, but got tired of it, so now I am into orange and yellow. Still, I have more blues and greens than any other colors.
    Old 09-30-2017, 02:16 AM

I like bright colors, so buying neutrals is difficult. Currently I"m in a green and purple phase. Changing to yellow and black. What sold this year at the sale was black, grey and white.
    Old 09-30-2017, 02:46 AM
    Power Poster

Most of my stash is earth tones but I am trying to buy and use brighter colors. it's hard.
    Old 09-30-2017, 03:06 AM

Often the color of a fabric draws me right in. As others have said, I've seldom met a shade of aqua or turquoise that I haven't loved. But I have to go easy on buying and start using more stash so I'm trying to be more reflective when I'm at a shop. Loving the color can't be enough of a reason to buy it.
    Living in two very different places has resulted in two different colored stashes. I have browns, golds, greens and such up in Maine where we have knotty pine walls and pine trees around us. Soft aquas and the like in Florida.
    It sounds to me as if you are doing what the color people want you to do (and what we all do). The colors of the year are all around us, used for fabrics and clothes, paints, furnishings. At least one year's teal will get tweaked a little into the next year's colorway.
    Old 09-30-2017, 03:12 AM

I've been on a turquoise kick for quite a while. My youngest DD wanted her room painted turquoise 8 years ago... which we did. Now we've moved to gray on wall color, but the turquoise is in accents, not in paint. When we remodeled the kitchen, the new walls are gray, but the curtains and towels are turquoise. Almost every quilt I make has turquoise in it, it seems. Because of this, my stash or turquoise is always diminished. But my Blues scrap bin (which includes turquoise is full to the brim.
    Old 09-30-2017, 03:27 AM

I'm not sure about seasons...but I find myself gravitating toward fabric artists. For example, a couple of years ago I took a class from Brian Mabley who works with Kaffe fabrics so I purchased a few prints ...and last night I got to meet Anna Maria Horner at a trunk show here in Maine and I fell in love with her quilts and fabric. I am taking one of her classes on Sunday so I will probably buy a FQ bundle of her fabric.
    Old 09-30-2017, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Watson
    Turquoise is my go to, but if you look at my stash, I have a ton of orange, for some reason.....Watson
    Love turquoise but now I seem to be gravitating towards purples.
    Old 09-30-2017, 05:11 AM
    Power Poster

The colors that are not in my stash are purple, orange, and gold. I say I don't like those colors but then I'll see some here that I like. You just never know!