Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Secret Sister Ideas >

Secret Sister Ideas

Secret Sister Ideas

Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 AM

Our guild is doing Secret Sistes this year. We have put a $10.00 limit. Is that to low? We have limited it to 4 times during the year. Also what have you given or received from a Secret Sister that was great or oh so bad. Thanks for your imput.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 AM

What about some homemade pin cushions, or some fat quarters? If you have a Tuesday Morning near you, they have some very neat quilting books or notions for under ten dollars.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 AM

The worst things? Scented candles (allergies), things that were unsuited to me

The best things? Fabrics, books, chocolates.

I think $10 four times a year is an excellent idea. Hopefully you'll have people involved that really put some thought into what to get. The last time I had a Secret Sister it was through our church and the woman was the wife of a service man stationed in Afghanistan. Stationary, a journal, gas gift cards, Walmart gift cards, a book of stamps, a daily devotional book, etc. were some of the things I gave her. Since they had 3 small children I also tried to include just something small for each of them too. Sometimes it was just a piece of candy, very small toy or crayons but something. We didn't have a set limit.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 AM

Thanks, that gets me started and I am sure others will ask what can I get for $10.00.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 AM

I once did a guild secret sister and those who wanted to participate filled out a form of likes and dislikes so it made it easier to get something they would like.
examples of questions:
What style of quilts do you like; (country, contemporary, applique, etc)
What colors do you use; (brights, muted,etc)
Any allergies
There were several other questions
It gave us a starting point
Not only did I do the # of gifts. Once a month I sent a "thinking of you card" in the mail. How many of us get fun mail anymore?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Check out this one on the board they have a $10.00 limit and there are pics of what folks received.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-77978-1.htm
Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Moda charm packs make a great little gift. And I know where you can get them for under $10 each with free shipping.... :wink:
Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

A lady at work yesterday wanted to get her friend something small as a quilty gift. I thought maybe some FQ'sbut she didnt knothe ladies favorite colors. We had these quilter pins in a superpretty tin, for 9.99, and she got those. JoAnns also has some pretty pink breast cancer awareness stuff, pink pins, ect, would be cute gifts.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 AM

Nancy's NOtions always has things from 35% up to 75% off. I shop there all the time. Patterns, FQ's, everything. And I am sure LQS has lots under 10.00. It sounds like your guild will have fun. We had one two years ago and they stopped because some of them did not even send a card. We would put out gifts on a table when we went to guild meetings and people would find them. Have fun and enjoy. I love doing these things myself. This year I am doing it with people on this board. More fun when you know them.