Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: To See If Anybody is Interested - US and International Round Robin III

Just to add to the 'on point' discussion, both of mine were on point last time.

The first I sent without any borders, and the second round put the corners on for me, which can be seen here, in the top picture
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36388-1.htm

The other I had on point and added the corners as part of my centre, which can be seen here, the lighthouse about half way down
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-26670-1.htm

Both of these were 24" square finished when I sent them out.

Quote Originally Posted by SazuBMidlands

The first I sent without any borders, and the second round put the corners on for me, which can be seen here, in the top picture

The other I had on point and added the corners as part of my centre, which can be seen here, the lighthouse about half way down

I personally think if you want it on point you should add it before sending it. Otherwise it seems to me that your infringing on the creative process of another quilter. She might receive your block and have a really great idea for something else or she might decide that on point would be terrific. BUT that's just my opinion hope you're not offended that I butted in :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112

I personally think if you want it on point you should add it before sending it. Otherwise it seems to me that your infringing on the creative process of another quilter. She might receive your block and have a really great idea for something else or she might decide that on point would be terrific. BUT that's just my opinion hope you're not offended that I butted in :-)
    My center I designed is also on point and I automatically added the corners to make it square.......well, because I thought I had to. Not necessarily because the directions/rules said it was necessary......it just seemed like it completed my center for traveling. I didn't feel as if someone should have to finish my center by squaring it up......the whole purpose of the round robin is to add borders. Right???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lori L

My center I designed is also on point and I automatically added the corners to make it square.......well, because I thought I had to. Not necessarily because the directions/rules said it was necessary......it just seemed like it completed my center for traveling. I didn't feel as if someone should have to finish my center by squaring it up......the whole purpose of the round robin is to add borders. Right???
    Exactly! It wouldn't be any fun for me to receive something that all I had to do was put triangles on the corners to make it square. I would be disappointed.

Blog Entries
    I don't think it is necessary at all to require that the triangles be added to the center before it goes out. Creativity can flow from anywhere...I've seen corners added that would blow you away...there is no limit to "how" they must be added.....keep an open mind ladies...

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I don't think it is necessary at all to require that the triangles be added to the center before it goes out. Creativity can flow from anywhere...I've seen corners added that would blow you away...there is no limit to "how" they must be added.....keep an open mind ladies...
    LOL......my mind is soooo open there are visible holes present :) My point I was trying to make was why "I" had to add the corners myself. Looking at past RR's and pictures I have certainly seen some additions that I never would have imagined or come up with on my own. You're right.....we'd probably be blown away!

No not at all! I appreciate the help.

Should I use the purple iris or this park scene? I think the park scene would have a lot more options for creativity and would not be on point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Lori...you don't have to add them..if the rules for IRR2 are used..they can be added in either the 1st or 2nd round by someone else.

Carsey...hmmm...thats a tough one, they are BOTH beautiful and I can imagine lots of things to do with them. I guess you'll just have to decide yourself.. :wink: :lol: :D

I loved both of your centers and have enjoyed seeing the ongoing process of both. Some of the work has blown my mind. I can't wait to see the finished projects!!

I wanted to used something with plenty of options for my center, I ended up making an extreme sudoku grid for the center. When I finished it with a grid outlining boarder it ended up at 21" edge to edge, not 21 1/2" is that going to make it harder for others to add on to it?

quilt inspector
    Name:  Attachment-72042.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  92.4 KB

Extreme Sudoku
    Name:  Attachment-72049.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  103.3 KB

Carsey: Both are gorgeous, but I LOVE the park scene...so many possibilities!

Wendsy: As I undestand it, your centre can measure anything from 12.5" to 24.5" edge to edge. If this is the case, then 21"edge to edge qualifies. I haven't even measured mine yet, but I think it will be about 22"edge to edge, when I'm finished with it. I would have no proble if it's a little short, whoever is doing the first border, could show a heap of creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsey
    Should I use the purple iris or this park scene? I think the park scene would have a lot more options for creativity and would not be on point.
    Personally, I love the iris one better, but that's because I have an affinity with purple. The park scene is equally as pretty. Don't sell the iris short, the design possibilities are there. Plenty of great colors in it as well.

Here is who I have that has shown interest so far.
    If I spelled your name wrong or if you know of someone that wants to participate and their name is missing, PLEASE let me know.

abonda
    amalia64
    Annaquilts
    b. zang
    Baba71
    bailey
    barbsbus
    Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    bookworm
    brenda21
    C.CalQuiltGirl
    Carsey
    Cat18
    Chrys
    Craftymainemom
    dizzy
    finch
    Gramakitten
    Gwyn
    jetwv
    JudyG
    Karen
    Kathy N
    Kherrin
    kristen0112
    KSCrafter
    labbyrobinson
    laura3
    lavandula
    Leota
    lfw045
    LHUNT212
    lindyline
    litlehud
    Lori L
    LoriJ
    M.I.Late
    MadQuilter
    mamabird3
    maryb119
    Megs Ann
    MISHNJIM
    missgigglewings
    mom-6
    montanablu
    mswordwez
    Ninnie
    OK Darla
    Pam
    purplesharon
    quilt addict
    quiltergirl80
    Quilting Turtle
    quiltingnonie
    rejenea
    Ripped on Scotch
    SazuBMidlands
    sew cornie
    sewmaterialistic.com
    sewnmom
    shaysmema
    simplecomforts
    STAR
    sweet
    swimchick1984
    vbourck
    vovoa
    wendsy
    Winona

wow! thats a long list

Blog Entries
    Geesh!!! Already that many!!! Wow, this is gonna be a huge one!! :shock: :D

I love to do round robins. I would like to participate.

Ok, have added you and also Dawn Hendricks

Hi im new but I would love to be involved!

I'm hoping to finish tweaking the rules by tomorrow so I can put the sign-up list up by Monday/Tuesday.
    Once that is up, THEN I will be accepting PMs with name, addy, e-mail,phone numbers and whether or not you can ship overseas/Canada.
    Those that KNOW they will not be around the month of August, or until at least the middle of August can PM me their info early. ONLY THOSE PEOPLE! I'm thinking I will keep the sign-up going until maybe August 15th. Then I can get to work on getting groups together. That will be the hardest part and will take some time to get going.
    Just know that your centers WILL NOT have to be mailed until September 15th, so go ahead and start your centers.
    Centers should be between 12 inches and 24 inches. If you make your center on point, just remember that the 1st person it goes to, will have to make it square, therefore, they may not like doing so. TRY, if you can to square your center off if it's on point. The person who is doing the first border may have an awesome idea for the border and if he/she has to put it on point, it can be a bit disappointing. I'm not saying to NOT send it out on point, I'm just saying that it's not always a good thing.

I am a newbie so what is a round robin and what does it involve.

A round robin is where you make a center square.
    You are in with a group of people who are doing the same. You send your center to the next person on your list. That person puts a border on it. You would be doing the same because someone would be sending a center to you. Once that is done, everyone in the group sends that completed center w/border out again. You always send to the same person. Everyone in your group works on your center, putting borders on it until it returns back to you..usually within a 12 month span. Once you get it back, you have a completed top. All you have to do then is to bat, back and quilt it however YOU want to do it. Then you get to love on it because it was done by new friends that you have made around the country/world.
    Sound easy?

Yes,it sounds great and I would love to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by cbridges22
    Yes,it sounds great and I would love to participate.
    Welcome from another Oregonian...not far from you in fact. I live in Lyons (up hwy 22 past Stayton)
    Hey, if you are one of my partners, I could just deliver it to you :lol: :!:

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast