Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 427

Thread: To See If Anybody is Interested - US and International Round Robin III

  1. #276
    Super Member cbridges22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    Quote Originally Posted by cbridges22
    Yes,it sounds great and I would love to participate.
    Welcome from another Oregonian...not far from you in fact. I live in Lyons (up hwy 22 past Stayton)
    Hey, if you are one of my partners, I could just deliver it to you :lol: :!:
    Based on the quilt you have posted as your avatar I would be willing to deliver just to see it up close and personal,it would be an honor.

  2. #277
    Junior Member purplesharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    199
    while working on another swap i found what i want to do for my center. now i need to go pull out totes and decide which colors to use. it will be a gift for my 4yr old granddaughter.

  3. #278
    Super Member cbridges22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,658
    Here goes a silly question,does the center have to be square?example 12x12,14x14 ect.. or can it be a rectangle?

  4. #279
    Super Member M.I.Late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori L
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Sending internationally varies to the different countries. I know sometimes I could send a package to Canada and the same weight package to Spain and it would cost more for Canada. Then, sometimes it would cost more to Spain. I just don't get it.
    If you aren't comfortable with sending internationally, it's ok. We all understand that it's hard sometimes with the state of the economy. There are those of us that are fortunate to be able to do this.
    But, on the other hand, people also have to understand that it cannot be the SAME people sending internationally all the time. That's just not fair to those people.
    I don't mind sending internationally. In fact, the idea of having my quilt travel "around the world" is what makes this exciting and fun. I love the thought that quilters from all over will be adding to my quilt and that I will be working on theirs!
    I'm kind of with you Lori - the idea that it had the trip I couldn't afford to go on is neat.

  5. #280
    Super Member cbridges22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori L
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Sending internationally varies to the different countries. I know sometimes I could send a package to Canada and the same weight package to Spain and it would cost more for Canada. Then, sometimes it would cost more to Spain. I just don't get it.
    If you aren't comfortable with sending internationally, it's ok. We all understand that it's hard sometimes with the state of the economy. There are those of us that are fortunate to be able to do this.
    But, on the other hand, people also have to understand that it cannot be the SAME people sending internationally all the time. That's just not fair to those people.
    I don't mind sending internationally. In fact, the idea of having my quilt travel "around the world" is what makes this exciting and fun. I love the thought that quilters from all over will be adding to my quilt and that I will be working on theirs!
    I'm kind of with you Lori - the idea that it had the trip I couldn't afford to go on is neat.
    It would be great to have a traveling quilt since I sure am not at this time.

  6. #281
    Super Member M.I.Late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,363
    WOW - What are we up to just under 75 Quilters? I'm impressed. How will you group us? I say throw us all in a hat... What an outstanding amount of participation. Terry you have your hands full... We appreciate you handeling this. We're like race horses chompin on the bit ready to get out of the gate. Should we start a separate thread for the center pictures only?

  7. #282
    Super Member JudyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wickenburg AZ
    Posts
    2,907
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by cbridges22
    Here goes a silly question,does the center have to be square?example 12x12,14x14 ect.. or can it be a rectangle?
    It's my understanding it can be either, as long as it isn't longer or wider than 24". If I'm mistaken, someone will let us know.

    I'm attaching a picture of what I think I will use as my center. It's a ufo I found in my closet. I had started it in a class 3 years ago to learn how to work with curves. May do some applique in the center circle but, then again, maybe not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #283
    Super Member Leota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,644
    Judy... Your center is awesome! WoW..
    Quick question.... when working with curves on a quilt, do you clip the curves like you do in apparel construction or just make them fit?

  9. #284
    Junior Member LittleMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sunny Queensland
    Posts
    230
    I am in. Nervous, but in :-D

    International post? It cant be more expensive that the (heavy) care packages from home I send to my children living in the Netherlands.

  10. #285
    Senior Member beckyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plum City Wisconsin
    Posts
    989
    add me to your list I'm in

  11. #286
    Super Member JudyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wickenburg AZ
    Posts
    2,907
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    Judy... Your center is awesome! WoW..
    Quick question.... when working with curves on a quilt, do you clip the curves like you do in apparel construction or just make them fit?
    Thank you, glad you like it. This is the first I have worked with curves, but I didn't have to clip anything. I was amazed at how easy it was and I think it turned out pretty good. You do have to sew quite slow and adjust your fabric every few stitches. I started out pinning the pieces together and then read the instructions which said DO NOT PIN so took them all out and everything went together fine.

  12. #287
    Super Member grandme26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    2,560
    I am very interested. Will start looking for a center block to make.

  13. #288
    Super Member CarolinePaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    3,074
    I think I would be interested to try this..... if us UK'ers can participate?

    Hugs

  14. #289
    Super Member Leota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,644
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
    I think I would be interested to try this..... if us UK'ers can participate?

    Hugs
    hmmm.... UK'ers are international right :D

  15. #290

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    lafayette, in
    Posts
    263
    i think i would like to try this too but am concerned also about shipping internationally, any ideas?

  16. #291
    Super Member Leota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,644
    I think if you can put the quilts in a plastic bag and suck all the air out of them, they will fit in smaller packaging and then you can use flat rate shipping. I had a wedding gown shipped from China and it was only $10... they marked it as "a gift" to avoid tariffs...illegal because it was a business. I didn't continue doing business with that company because the construction quality was poor and their unethical practices.

  17. #292
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,755
    Blog Entries
    9
    Since Terri is busy...I'll jump in and answer a few questions..

    1. Yes...you can participate from UK...we'd LOVE to have you!
    2. Your center can be rectangular...it can be any size up to 24" (finished) either or both ways. Just keep in mind that the 1st round will be 3"...so if you make it a dimension that is divisable by 3, it will make it easier to work with...other than that....get creative!
    3. Generally when shipping international you can use the flat rate envelopes for the 1st couple of rounds, then you end up having to use the med. size flat rate box or the flimsy regular priority envelope due to the size. It usually runs around 20-25 bucks to ship near the end not including insurance.

    I see the list is still growing :shock: :D

  18. #293
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,054
    Thanks for answering for me Patti.
    Anyone, doesn't matter where they live can join.
    I'm almost done with tweaking the rules and should have them up tomorrow, I HOPE!
    So far we have 77 people that are interested. I'm sure that list will grow once I put the Sign-up list on.

  19. #294
    Senior Member Maybe1day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    835
    This sounds not only exciting but quite challenging to.
    As it isn't set to take place till around September if it goes ahead then
    I am interested.

    Maybe1day

  20. #295
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,054
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT PM ME ANY OF YOUR INFORMATION YET!
    I'm not set up for it.
    Right now it's JUST to see WHO IS INTERESTED!
    Those that will be gone and away from computers until mid August, I have asked for those, but PLEASE, if you aren't going to be gone, DO NOT SEND ME THE INFO YET!

    I'm keeping track of everyone that is wanting/showing interest, so PLEASE be patient. Start your centers between 12 and 24 inches square.

  21. #296
    Super Member sew cornie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,872
    You can post your picture on the sign-up thread. Hold those horses . . . it's coming soon! LOL.

    Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    WOW - What are we up to just under 75 Quilters? I'm impressed. How will you group us? I say throw us all in a hat... What an outstanding amount of participation. Terry you have your hands full... We appreciate you handeling this. We're like race horses chompin on the bit ready to get out of the gate. Should we start a separate thread for the center pictures only?

  22. #297
    Super Member cbridges22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Since Terri is busy...I'll jump in and answer a few questions..

    1. Yes...you can participate from UK...we'd LOVE to have you!
    2. Your center can be rectangular...it can be any size up to 24" (finished) either or both ways. Just keep in mind that the 1st round will be 3"...so if you make it a dimension that is divisable by 3, it will make it easier to work with...other than that....get creative!
    3. Generally when shipping international you can use the flat rate envelopes for the 1st couple of rounds, then you end up having to use the med. size flat rate box or the flimsy regular priority envelope due to the size. It usually runs around 20-25 bucks to ship near the end not including insurance.

    I see the list is still growing :shock: :D
    Since I have never done this could you tell me what you mean by the first round is 3"?Is each round given a specific size and if so how large does the top end up being?

  23. #298
    Super Member sew cornie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,872
    IRR II, which is finishing up right now, had 5 rounds of borders, each with a predetermined size: 3", 5", 6", 7", 8". Take the dimensions of your center and add the border dimensions to get your final quilt size. For example, my IRR II center was 24" square. It's final size will be 82" square. For IRR III, my center will be 15" square, equaling a finished size of 73" square (if the border sizes are as those mentioned above).
    Quote Originally Posted by cbridges22
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Since Terri is busy...I'll jump in and answer a few questions..

    1. Yes...you can participate from UK...we'd LOVE to have you!
    2. Your center can be rectangular...it can be any size up to 24" (finished) either or both ways. Just keep in mind that the 1st round will be 3"...so if you make it a dimension that is divisable by 3, it will make it easier to work with...other than that....get creative!
    3. Generally when shipping international you can use the flat rate envelopes for the 1st couple of rounds, then you end up having to use the med. size flat rate box or the flimsy regular priority envelope due to the size. It usually runs around 20-25 bucks to ship near the end not including insurance.

    I see the list is still growing :shock: :D
    Since I have never done this could you tell me what you mean by the first round is 3"?Is each round given a specific size and if so how large does the top end up being?

  24. #299
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,054
    Thanks Sew Cornie!!

  25. #300
    Super Member cbridges22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,658
    Thank you so much from one Oregonian to another.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.