Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: To See If Anybody is Interested - US and International Round Robin III

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    Quote Originally Posted by cbridges22
    Yes,it sounds great and I would love to participate.
    Welcome from another Oregonian...not far from you in fact. I live in Lyons (up hwy 22 past Stayton)
    Hey, if you are one of my partners, I could just deliver it to you :lol: :!:
    Based on the quilt you have posted as your avatar I would be willing to deliver just to see it up close and personal,it would be an honor.

while working on another swap i found what i want to do for my center. now i need to go pull out totes and decide which colors to use. it will be a gift for my 4yr old granddaughter.

Here goes a silly question,does the center have to be square?example 12x12,14x14 ect.. or can it be a rectangle?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori L
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Sending internationally varies to the different countries. I know sometimes I could send a package to Canada and the same weight package to Spain and it would cost more for Canada. Then, sometimes it would cost more to Spain. I just don't get it.
    If you aren't comfortable with sending internationally, it's ok. We all understand that it's hard sometimes with the state of the economy. There are those of us that are fortunate to be able to do this.
    But, on the other hand, people also have to understand that it cannot be the SAME people sending internationally all the time. That's just not fair to those people.
    I don't mind sending internationally. In fact, the idea of having my quilt travel "around the world" is what makes this exciting and fun. I love the thought that quilters from all over will be adding to my quilt and that I will be working on theirs!
    I'm kind of with you Lori - the idea that it had the trip I couldn't afford to go on is neat.

Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori L
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Sending internationally varies to the different countries. I know sometimes I could send a package to Canada and the same weight package to Spain and it would cost more for Canada. Then, sometimes it would cost more to Spain. I just don't get it.
    If you aren't comfortable with sending internationally, it's ok. We all understand that it's hard sometimes with the state of the economy. There are those of us that are fortunate to be able to do this.
    But, on the other hand, people also have to understand that it cannot be the SAME people sending internationally all the time. That's just not fair to those people.
    I don't mind sending internationally. In fact, the idea of having my quilt travel "around the world" is what makes this exciting and fun. I love the thought that quilters from all over will be adding to my quilt and that I will be working on theirs!
    I'm kind of with you Lori - the idea that it had the trip I couldn't afford to go on is neat.
    It would be great to have a traveling quilt since I sure am not at this time.

WOW - What are we up to just under 75 Quilters? I'm impressed. How will you group us? I say throw us all in a hat... What an outstanding amount of participation. Terry you have your hands full... We appreciate you handeling this. We're like race horses chompin on the bit ready to get out of the gate. Should we start a separate thread for the center pictures only?

Blog Entries
    Here goes a silly question,does the center have to be square?example 12x12,14x14 ect.. or can it be a rectangle?
    It's my understanding it can be either, as long as it isn't longer or wider than 24". If I'm mistaken, someone will let us know.

I'm attaching a picture of what I think I will use as my center. It's a ufo I found in my closet. I had started it in a class 3 years ago to learn how to work with curves. May do some applique in the center circle but, then again, maybe not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Judy... Your center is awesome! WoW..
    Quick question.... when working with curves on a quilt, do you clip the curves like you do in apparel construction or just make them fit?

I am in. Nervous, but in :-D

International post? It cant be more expensive that the (heavy) care packages from home I send to my children living in the Netherlands.

add me to your list I'm in

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    Judy... Your center is awesome! WoW..
    Quick question.... when working with curves on a quilt, do you clip the curves like you do in apparel construction or just make them fit?
    Thank you, glad you like it. This is the first I have worked with curves, but I didn't have to clip anything. I was amazed at how easy it was and I think it turned out pretty good. You do have to sew quite slow and adjust your fabric every few stitches. I started out pinning the pieces together and then read the instructions which said DO NOT PIN so took them all out and everything went together fine.

I am very interested. Will start looking for a center block to make.

I think I would be interested to try this..... if us UK'ers can participate?

Hugs

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
    I think I would be interested to try this..... if us UK'ers can participate?

Hugs
    hmmm.... UK'ers are international right :D

i think i would like to try this too but am concerned also about shipping internationally, any ideas?

I think if you can put the quilts in a plastic bag and suck all the air out of them, they will fit in smaller packaging and then you can use flat rate shipping. I had a wedding gown shipped from China and it was only $10... they marked it as "a gift" to avoid tariffs...illegal because it was a business. I didn't continue doing business with that company because the construction quality was poor and their unethical practices.

Blog Entries
    Since Terri is busy...I'll jump in and answer a few questions..

1. Yes...you can participate from UK...we'd LOVE to have you!
    2. Your center can be rectangular...it can be any size up to 24" (finished) either or both ways. Just keep in mind that the 1st round will be 3"...so if you make it a dimension that is divisable by 3, it will make it easier to work with...other than that....get creative!
    3. Generally when shipping international you can use the flat rate envelopes for the 1st couple of rounds, then you end up having to use the med. size flat rate box or the flimsy regular priority envelope due to the size. It usually runs around 20-25 bucks to ship near the end not including insurance.

I see the list is still growing :shock: :D

Thanks for answering for me Patti.
    Anyone, doesn't matter where they live can join.
    I'm almost done with tweaking the rules and should have them up tomorrow, I HOPE!
    So far we have 77 people that are interested. I'm sure that list will grow once I put the Sign-up list on.

This sounds not only exciting but quite challenging to.
    As it isn't set to take place till around September if it goes ahead then
    I am interested.

Maybe1day

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT PM ME ANY OF YOUR INFORMATION YET!
    I'm not set up for it.
    Right now it's JUST to see WHO IS INTERESTED!
    Those that will be gone and away from computers until mid August, I have asked for those, but PLEASE, if you aren't going to be gone, DO NOT SEND ME THE INFO YET!

I'm keeping track of everyone that is wanting/showing interest, so PLEASE be patient. Start your centers between 12 and 24 inches square.

You can post your picture on the sign-up thread. Hold those horses . . . it's coming soon! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    WOW - What are we up to just under 75 Quilters? I'm impressed. How will you group us? I say throw us all in a hat... What an outstanding amount of participation. Terry you have your hands full... We appreciate you handeling this. We're like race horses chompin on the bit ready to get out of the gate. Should we start a separate thread for the center pictures only?

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat

2. Your center can be rectangular...it can be any size up to 24" (finished) either or both ways. Just keep in mind that the 1st round will be 3"...so if you make it a dimension that is divisable by 3, it will make it easier to work with...other than that....get creative!
    3. Generally when shipping international you can use the flat rate envelopes for the 1st couple of rounds, then you end up having to use the med. size flat rate box or the flimsy regular priority envelope due to the size. It usually runs around 20-25 bucks to ship near the end not including insurance.

Since I have never done this could you tell me what you mean by the first round is 3"?Is each round given a specific size and if so how large does the top end up being?

IRR II, which is finishing up right now, had 5 rounds of borders, each with a predetermined size: 3", 5", 6", 7", 8". Take the dimensions of your center and add the border dimensions to get your final quilt size. For example, my IRR II center was 24" square. It's final size will be 82" square. For IRR III, my center will be 15" square, equaling a finished size of 73" square (if the border sizes are as those mentioned above).
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat

Since I have never done this could you tell me what you mean by the first round is 3"?Is each round given a specific size and if so how large does the top end up being?

Thanks Sew Cornie!!

Thank you so much from one Oregonian to another.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast