Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Self taught quilter missing the basics >

Self taught quilter missing the basics

Self taught quilter missing the basics

Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 0tis
There is more than one way to skin a cat" (an awful saying but gets the point across) so even if we don't do it like the experts perhaps our way works just as well or better.
That actually refers to the Catfish. Makes it a bit easier to digest than poor little kitty.

I have learned an enormous amount about shortcuts, techniques, inspiration, motivation on this board. Amazing group! And no quilt police.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:04 PM

I too am self taught. I have no quilting friends. No quilting family - except some distant relation I see once a year.

Most of the critical basics I have learned on this forum and from the 'basics' sections in magazines and books. For years I overlooked these sections, but recently I actually read them and found some great tips. Also watching episodes of Sewing with Nancy and Fons and Porter have helped a great bit.

Good luck!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:28 PM

Also check for books at your local library. I learn in Home Ec. class so many years ago I really can't remember how I learn the basics, but pressing not ironing is also important. Pressing is just putting your iron down and do moving it, then lifting and repeating. This prevents stretching of your blocks that can happen if you iron (moving it back and forth). I do know the first quilts I made did not stress the scant 1/4", I'm not exactly when that sneaked into the quilting scene. LOL
Old 03-09-2011, 03:56 PM

I REALLY appreciate all your advice! I love to quilt, and am encouraged by your tips to keep going. And I'm glad I'm not alone in this learning curve.

Thank you everyone! :)
Old 03-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I don't know where in Idaho you live, but if I can ever help PM me.
I'm west of Boise.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kappy
Also check for books at your local library. I learned in Home Ec. class so many years ago I really can't remember how I learned the basics, but pressing not ironing is also important. Pressing is just putting your iron down and not moving it, then lifting and repeating. This prevents stretching of your blocks that can happen if you iron (moving it back and forth). I do know the first quilts I made did not stress the scant 1/4", I'm not exactly sure when that sneaked into the quilting scene. LOL
I re-read my previous post and could not believe the grammatical errors and I apologize.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 PM

The 1/4" seam is really important. A little bit off on a lot of seams can make a big mess.

Borders: Measure across the center of the quilt, cut, PIN, then sew. Don't change the order of this and don't omit a step!! Repeat for the other two sides. Repeat for every border!!

If you lay the quilt top on the floor and it doesn't lay flat, fix it before you try to quilt it or before you send it to be quilted. If it's not square and flat before quilting, don't expect it to be square and flat after quilting.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM

One thing that I learned that has helped, is that when you are sewing 2 pieces or blocks together, if one is a smidge larger, place that on the bottom next to the feed dogs. It seems to help ease in the fullness.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM

i have taken a kazillion classes but still learning! i highly recommend the tutorials on the missouri star quilt website--they are easy to follow and very helpful for filling in knowledge gaps! check them out if you ahven't already!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 PM

Such great advice from everyone! This board is a great resource. If you have a question/challenge post it and there will be someone to give you input and guidance.