Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Self taught quilter missing the basics >

Self taught quilter missing the basics

Self taught quilter missing the basics

Old 03-12-2011, 03:06 PM

You will find this site your best friend, and can get help and answers to your questions. I guess the best advice I can give is make sure your seams all measure 1/4" and always make a sample block first, before cutting all your fabric. Your not alone in being self taught. You Tube has many videos you can watch. Oil and keep sewing machine clean, change your needle every 6/8 hours. Little things can add up to being very important when you start to quilt.
Just enjoy and take things slow and easy. Betty Lee
Old 03-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Thank you, thank you. And it's exciting that others are learning new things through this post, too!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

I have Fons and Porter's Quilters Complete Guide that I used to always refer to and still do today. A good beginnrs book is a lot of help.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Jackie I have to agree about the 1/4 seam. I am a self taught quilter from way back before internet also and I so wish I would have learned about the importance of the scant 1/4 seam way back when, might have saved myself alot of heartach. I am very proud of my skills for being self taught...I would say the only draw back is sometimes you teach yourself some habits that are hard to break.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Jackie I have to agree about the 1/4 seam. I am a self taught quilter from way back before internet also and I so wish I would have learned about the importance of the scant 1/4 seam way back when, might have saved myself alot of heartach. I am very proud of my skills for being self taught...I would say the only draw back is sometimes you teach yourself some habits that are hard to break.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
I would say the only draw back is sometimes you teach yourself some habits that are hard to break.
That's where I'm afraid I am!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
i think most of us are learning on our own and if we ever quit learning....we're dead! :shock: good luck and hang in there, we're all in this together
Oh--this is about quilting?...I thought this was therapy class.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17
i think most of us are learning on our own and if we ever quit learning....we're dead! :shock: good luck and hang in there, we're all in this together
OH I too thought this therapy...lol I so need it! Due to being sick with a lung infection & no motivation I haven't even peeked in for awhile.....I have missed all of you.
If I weren't a self taught quilter I probably wouldn't be a quilter, as I am not the easiest person to teach things to, just ask my kids who always said it was just easier to do it for me...but they have since long moved out & left me on my own....so I thank all of you who are so willing to share your knowledge & kindness.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 AM

OH I too thought this therapy...lol I so need it! Due to being sick with a lung infection & no motivation I haven't even peeked in for awhile.....I have missed all of you.
If I weren't a self taught quilter I probably wouldn't be a quilter, as I am not the easiest person to teach things to, just ask my kids who always said it was just easier to do it for me...but they have since long moved out & left me on my own....so I thank all of you who are so willing to share your knowledge & kindness.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
Welcome back, craftiladi. Hope you are on the mend!