Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
selling on etsy >

selling on etsy

selling on etsy

Old 01-15-2012, 06:32 AM

Unfortunately they are starting to get clogged with non-handmade items from mass producers. They don't police it very well.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 AM

Selling on Etsy is easy and you can help your sales out by sending links to friends, family and such that you have items for sale. Hopefully they in turn will forward to others and then you will see some sales. Of course being competetive in your pricing is important also.
Give it a try it can't hurt and it really dosn't cost very much
Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Just FYI: I clicked on your ETSY url and it took me right to your site. GiGi
Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM

Good question, my husband has been talking about it with some of his wood work. Nice to know it would probably be a waste of his time. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Default Fyi

A friend of mine sells jewelry on Etsy, when she adds new items she shares it on facebook as well as a blog. It does it automatically and spreads the word to more people. Also, being on Etsy got her several invitations to set her work up at some really good local craft fairs. They saw her work on there and knew the quality.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:25 AM

Well I just put together my own Treasury List on Etsy. I tried to include items from some QB members. It was fun!!

http://www.etsy.com/treasury/NTYxMTE...ef=pr_treasury

I also tried to include items from new sellers, knowing how happy I was when one of items was featured in a treasury. Paying it forward!!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:09 AM

I have been selling on Etsy since last July, you just have to find out whats popular. And the key is to not give it away, they actually tell you to price your item higher. It's 20 cents to list each item.

Last edited by patricej; 01-16-2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: advertising deleted
Old 01-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
Ladies I am a marketing manager and here's a piece of advice - just because you build it does not mean they will come. Its like throwing a small rock into a large pond - unless you have a compelling reason for people to buy, it will sink to the bottom. You need to target your market and drive traffic and float that rock to the top. Use your community outlets to let people know what you have to sell - community newpaper advertising is cheap and easy. Good pictures are a must. Segregate by application, for example "looking for a unique handmade baby shower gift?" Or "Wouldn't you like a more attractive grocery tote bag?". Use bulletin boards at your local grocery store or college campus. Post your link on Facebook and let people know about your ongoing projects. Leverage what the Etsy experts provide for tools (I looked - they have some good advice). Tell everyone you know that you sell on Etsy - just like job networking, you need to spread your expertise to as many people as you know. See if you can link up with others who sell different things (like jewlery or Avon) and see if they would be willing to do a combined dem.
I have an etsy store and only have a few items listed right now. It's funny how customers shop. I might go months without a sale then have 2-3 in one month. It just depends on who's looking for what and how they hit your shop.

As JNCT says, marketing is the key. One thing I've learned from the Etsy handbook and tips from successful shops is to list something at least every other day. I know they've changed the way items are searched but it still seems to work for me. For some reason, this type of listing items brings your item to the forefront. Photos and tags are extremely important too, again learned this from Etsy's handbook. They do have a lot of help for success, although I some times feel overwhelmed will all their emails and documentations on the subject.

My goal this year is to get more items listed and spend more time learning the tips and techniques for successful sellers.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:43 PM

Did not understand your 3rd sentence.

Originally Posted by mucky View Post
I have sold on Etsy for a couple of years. It is not expensive. I think well under a dollar dor 3 months listing. I have not had any problems. I if d it better in all ways than selling on eBay.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM

I too have an Etsy shop and it's not exspensive to list there. My sales have been pretty good. My products are mostly winter items so my sales are pretty much seasonal. I have my shop linked to my facebook page, so whenever I list new items, my facebook friends know.

Dianna in mid MI

Last edited by patricej; 01-16-2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: advertising deleted