Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Selling on Etsy

Sorry to hear about your job! That's tough after 13 years. I've sold on eBay off and on for almost 10 years. Have been recently considering Etsy but haven't really researched it yet - didn't know they charged you to list items. There is another auction site, ebid.com that doesn't charge you to list anything, you only pay when it sells. It doesn't quite have the exposure of eBay but they are a competing website. We've had some coins listed on there for quite some time and just recently sold two of them. Just like with anything on the net, you have to keep updating (whether it be adding new or changing things) to refresh the indexes.

Before you try e-bay Read E-Bay for Dummies. The library can get you a copy. It is gret. Thanks for telling me about all the other sites. I will be looking and maybe listing. These are all so helpfun.

i have bought several times off of etsy. i love the fact that some of the sellers accepts money orders because i do not have a paypal account. i can commit to buy and send money order and then they ship item to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrie
    I just put some garbage bag dispensers on Etsy what i did was search for the similar items and see what they listed theirs on and that is what i then listed on I just been on there about 3 weeks and no sale, I went there because i have a friend that lists all the time and she sales all the time she have different crafts plus quilts and she got 4 orders on a memory quilt in 1 month. so between ebay and etsy i went to there i also had items on Ebay and sold there but it was other items. I think handmade items do better on Etsy. now this is my opinion. search for seller fabicmom and look at her items and see what she have that might give you a idea
    Jerrie, in order to sell on Etsy, there is a little trick they don't tell you. You need to list 1 item each day in order to keep your items current and within the first couple pages when a customer is looking. By listing the one item, if someone looks at it, it will show what else you have available. Hope this helps, Susie
    Thanks for the info Susie. I have an etsy account and have tote bags and purses listed. There are so many in that catagory that by the end of the first day my things are on about page 70 of over 6000 pages with 20 or 30 items to a page. Everyone tells me I should sell my projects, but I just can't figure out how or where. I will try your suggestion.

I sell on Etsy, too. (ID: charmpacks) It's not that hard to do. Just read the section on their website about selling. Try listing one item just to get the hang of it. You can revise the listing if you need to. The key to selling on Etsy is to have a lot of different items listed and if they don't sell within a week or two, delete and relist. Etsy's default viewing is by newly listed items so if you're in a category with a lot of other sellers your items will be on page 100 within a week or two. It only cost .20 per item to list for 4 months plus a percentage of the sales price. I think it's 3.5%. Research what sellers in the same category are using for tags (keywords) right under the description.

Ebay veiwing is opposite of Etsy by default. Most people will search by items ending soonest so if you list for 30 days it's best to wait it out. Ebay listing fees are higher than Etsy and the fee depends on the asking price. The higher the price, the higher the fee. The selling fee is also higher - 12% - but they have a lot more shoppers than Etsy.

I hope that helps!

Thank you so much for this information.

You have to add something new almost every day for it to get noticed and not lost. After my first initial posting no one ever looked again.

But I know two people who sell successfully on Etsy by posting new merchandise nearly every day.

Blog Entries
    What about on consignment at some local shops near you? I have sold quite a bit of stuff on ebay, but never tried etsy. I was thinking though that if I wanted to sell quilting type items or even totes...that I would take them to a couple of the small boutiques/gift shops here in town. I used to sell that way when I was a teenager looking for spending money... :lol:

I have had things listed on etsy.com for 1 year now and I finally sold my first item ! wow, did that take a longgggggggggg time. You might want to see if some of the little stores around where you live will let you put your things in them, I know a lady at work that started out that way now she makes a ton of money though her stuff is NOT hand made. But, its still a good idea. Also, I find I have sold way more by having "Craft Fair" at my home. Get a few friends together and have one every other week, the ppl will get use to you being there and become return customers. Also, make a binder of all of your work so if you dont have something finshed, they can order it. That was another thing I did. Good luck !

You make me feel better because I have a huge stash. I keep telling my husband that I will use it when I don't have the money after retirement. I look forward to crafting a lot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by catlady506
    You make me feel better because I have a huge stash. I keep telling my husband that I will use it when I don't have the money after retirement. I look forward to crafting a lot!!!
    Its my fabric 401 k!!!

I love that , fabric stash is my 401K. I sure hope so, as my 401K pretty much went down the tubes about a year or two ago. Then hubby just 3 years from retirement got his job downsized due to budget cuts. He still hasn't found a job and he is 60 with tons of experience. Well, I guess there are a few millions others with tons of job experience too and also looking. I do have been thinking of looking at Etsy to sell. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it comes about.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianlee
    I love that , fabric stash is my 401K. I sure hope so, as my 401K pretty much went down the tubes about a year or two ago. Then hubby just 3 years from retirement got his job downsized due to budget cuts. He still hasn't found a job and he is 60 with tons of experience. Well, I guess there are a few millions others with tons of job experience too and also looking. I do have been thinking of looking at Etsy to sell. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it comes about.
    its bad, isn't it??
    I hope he finds work soon....
    If you go to my blog, (below) and search for quilts in the catagory section you can read it...

I have a shop on ETSY and have sold some things. I put what I don't sell at craft fairs on there when I don't have a craft fair. Things do get lost among all the items, but if people want, they will find as I have seen. My Aunt does wonderfully on the site. It all depends on what you make and how much of that is already offered on the site. The fees are A LOT cheaper than EBAY.

Quote Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
    Its my fabric 401 k!!!

:lol: That's a good one! I suppose I don't shop correctly. Everytime I try to put something together from my stash, I have to run to the store because I need something else.

Blog Entries
    You know Gail, I do the same thing. Ha Ha.

Cookie

Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
    Its my fabric 401 k!!!

:lol: That's a good one! I suppose I don't shop correctly. Everytime I try to put something together from my stash, I have to run to the store because I need something else.

I couldn't count the number of times in the past several weeks I have had to stop myself from doing that! It's like "NO, I really, really don't have to go!!!" (Dang it!!) :oops:

Blog Entries
    I think we are "programed" to not buy everything we need when we go to the store on that 1 trip. :lol: :lol: :lol: I make a list for my sewing room, but still....I find myself calling my LQS and begging them to send me so and so that I forgot to pick up while I was there. Thank goodness they will send stuff to me!

You could also check out craft fairs; quilt shows sponsored by local guilds that you could display your quilts etc. Also offer to teach to local guilds and do a mini seminar and then a workshop. Do workshops in your home. Charge a fee for the workshops and the seminars. Depending on the technique the workshops are going from $20-50 in my area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2