Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling a  quilt >

Selling a quilt

Selling a quilt

Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 AM

I've seen mentioned that you double or triple the cost of your supplies. I just recently saw table runner kits in Keepsake Quilting catalog for $69 tp $99.00. Would someone really pay over $200 for a table runner?? Also, who would pay that much for a kit? In the area I live there is high unemployment and table runners don't sell for over $45. I can't imagine someone around here paying over $200 for a quilt. Whenever someone asks me if I'd sell them a quilt, I always tell them my quilts start at $200 for a baby quilt. They quickly change their minds; I don't want to sell my quilts anyhow. Like someone said, it takes the fun out of sewing. I'm unemployed and the money would certainly help but it's not worth the aggravation to me (just a personal opinion).
Old 08-26-2011, 04:54 AM

Tell her what the true cost of it would be: the cost of the LA and the fabric. Then tell her the cost if you were to sell it (2-3x the cost). Tell her if she insists on throwing some money towards what you have done (if it was a gift) would she please make a donation to _______________________. Problem solved. She feels good, you feel good, if someone wants to buy one, the price is clear.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:28 AM

The only person I ever found who was willing to pay what a quilt is really worth was another crafts person. There is a lady in our community who had been a musuem curator. She had a number of quilt tops her grandmother had made. She paid me to handquilt them for her. She owns a shop that does custom framing and understands the value of craftwork. I basically charged her $.07 a square inch plus my finishing materials, back, batting and binding. She had no problem forking over the money. She admitted that she makes most of her living selling her work at craft events in the Washington DC area where people are more willing to pay for what they want.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
For family, I would do everything I could to not be paid. It just doesn't seem right. However, if she insisted, I would throw out some low-ball figure like $50. I'd be afraid of causing offense if I asked for double the cost of it--I always spend waaaay to much on quilting supplies!

Agreed! I hate trying to explain to a family member how much it costs to make a quilt. They just don't understand. The $50 figure would seem like a good one....enough to make the relative feel like they paid for it, but not too much to offend.

As for anyone else asking for a quilt....give them a "real" price and make it high enuf that they won't want it anymore!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:37 AM

I would tell your Aunt that what you made it as a gift from your heart to her. That should stop her from asking for a price! Also, if someone want's you to make one for them just say - no, I'm sorry, this is what I do for pleasure and the pressure of a business arrangement would take all the pleasure away for me.

I find that if you phrase things such that to do what "they" want would be hurtful to you "they" back right off!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 AM

I have to agree with everyone's comments. When you start quilting for money, it isn't fun anymore. If you have some completed quilts without a home, maybe you could set a price (low) and see it this friend is interested. Sometimes people say they want to but things as a way of complimating the person who made it. Years ago I was really into Crochet (a short blimp on the sands of time) and made several afghans for co-workers. One loved a particular design and asked me to make her one. She bought the yarn and I charged her $20.00. When I gave her the afghan, she gave me $60.00 and said I wsn't charging enough. She mentioned to me the other day that she still has the afghan and all her kids and grandkids are adults now, so that was quite awhile ago. People like that are few and far between, but I was honored that she liked the work so much. Sorry so long.
Sue
Old 08-26-2011, 06:22 AM

My double the price of materials was for non friends and family who request a quilt. The quilt gifted an aunt should remain exactly that. I would never charge my friends and family for a gift. If they request a certain quilt, then they can pay just costs.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:38 AM

I charged my niece $30.00 for a twin sized quilt.

It was already made and waiting for quilting. She wanted one for her church to send to a friend as a prayer quilt. I was going to just give it to her but sometimes even a token payment makes the article "worth" more to the receiver!

So I finally got it quilted and got about the value of the thread in it!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SharBear
I would tell your Aunt that what you made it as a gift from your heart to her. That should stop her from asking for a price! Also, if someone want's you to make one for them just say - no, I'm sorry, this is what I do for pleasure and the pressure of a business arrangement would take all the pleasure away for me.

I find that if you phrase things such that to do what "they" want would be hurtful to you "they" back right off!
This is it exactly. If your aunt still insists, tell her she can repay you by making you some cookies / knitting you a scarf / giving you some of her homemade jam - whatever this lady does that you enjoy. If she STILL insists (what's wrong with her anyway?) tell her to send you any cotton fabric scraps that she doesn't use, or buy you a batting, or ??? Don't let her force you to put a dollar value on your gift.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:40 AM

I have never made anything that I would sell, but if I ever do, I think I'd give them a couple patterns I would be comfortable making. I would also explain that I pay a LAQ to do that part so they are completely aware of that cost up front. Then we could shop for their own fabric, backing and batting that would be paid for by the customer. Before bringing the quilt to the LAQ I would show them the top to be sure everything is to their satisfaction. Then I would expect them to pay the LAQ fee. (They might like input into what they would like for thequilting...) Upon completion of the binding, I would then expect them to pay me for what they feel is a fair price for the job I did. This way, the customer is involved and understands what it means to make a quilt.