Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SELLING QUILTS?

Banned
    Oh, yes. And nobody seems to get the expense in making them or the time it takes. I think that folks who don't know the craft have no appreciation for the effort and consequently don't have a clue about what it costs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollysquiltingmom
    I have had people ask me if I would sell quilts, I just smile and say "oh hun, I could never get paid the amount that I have in them" LOL then they just have to ask exactly how much do you have in them and I smile and say in a range of $150.00 to $200.00 not including my time then I get the fish face look you know the mouth wide open. LOL Needless to say I don't have any customers LOL. Quilting is a hobby for me something I enjoy doing if I had to make quilts to sell I would not like it. LOL
    "Ditto" to all of the above. I have people asking me all the time and I just tell them that I do quilting as a hobby and they could not afford to pay me the cost, time and materials that I have in them. I am also choosy as to who I gift them too. When I quote 150 to 300 bucks they also tell me they can get them cheaper at a store. I send them on their way...........lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darlin121
    [spend any where from $200-500 a month on quilting related items and to not recoup that money i'd be broke in no time.
    HEY! That's me.... broke! lol[/quote]

How do you find folks that are willing to pay for materials + your time? LQS told me a few of my quilts were worth $700-1000 I don't think alot folks have that kind of $ for quilts.

I sent a e-mail of my scrap quilt to my Mother. When she saw me she said " do you have to cut all those pieces out. I said Yes. Then she said " doesn't that take a long time? She does not sew.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Sews
    I sell when the price is right. One quilt paid a years worth of car and house insurance, property tax, and filled my propane tank for the whole winter.
    WOW who the heck did you sell your quilt to i want her name ....here in n.y. that amounts to $9000 plus the price of propane...which i have no idea how much that is !!!

If you put on a little black bonnet and wear a black dress you can get much more for a quilt. It seems the Amish quilts always go for big bucks in places like Shipshewana, IN where there are a lot of Amish. People think their work is better than we "English."

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have had people ask me if I sell my quilts.
    Some - yes, some are MINE (to give or to keep).
    Most of the time when I quote a price they run the other way.

I do make them to sell for those who understand.

When one gal asked me if it was for sale (I was working on it at my lunch break) I said yes. She asked how much and when I told her, she said,"WHY, don't we sell them for like $10.00 here (WM) A co-worker chimed in on my behalf and explained it to the gal of alll the work it takes.

The gal then looked at the quilt and said, "May I just touch it?"
    I have to snicker at that. I should have charged her. ;) lol

I'm a quilt horder and unless I'm asked to sell my work for my price I will not under cut my creativity, time and effort. I learned my lesson years ago and sold one of my better works for a less than a worthy price and I regret it. The general public are not educated in the handcrafted arts it doesn't matter if its broom making, basket making, wood turning or iron forging- the flood of cheap reproductions from over seas has really hurt the american craftsperson and artist. Some areas do better than others depending on the income level of the location. It's a flip of the coin. Congrats to anyone who finds the right purchaser for the right price. Moosegirl

Blog Entries
    i have a friend who was approached once and asked..."what would you charge me for a queen size quilt" she turned to them and said..."well that would start at $1000 and go up from there-what did you have in mind?" the guy was CHOKING! and said...i had about $75 in mind...she said-try walmart and walked away... :-D

Blog Entries
    i SELL when the price is right. I give most away to people that have lost everything to fire and other disasters. It really gets my dander up when someone thinks a hundred dollars would be astronomical price to me to pay for my little hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    People ask if one sells their quilts but very few of those asking are willing to pay what a quilt is really worth. They would be the ones that want to buy a quilt for $40.00.

It's my hobby, as well. I do it for my pleasure and I get a blessing when I give a quilt away.
    Ditto!!!

Through Facebook DH got in touch with a former classmate who made some purses and I loved them...long story short, I made about 10 purses all different, and a friend stopped by and ended up buying 3 of them. I am not sure I broke even with fabric and patterns and such, but at least I don't have those 3 purses around here mocking me anymore!hehe At least I loved making them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    I have an older neighbor that thinks that she is doing me a favor when she asks me for a baby quilt....$20 is too much. I willingly give her a discounted price, but I have at least $20 in just materials...and I sell these at craft shows for much more.
    When she called me the other day to say she needed a gift for a baby girl, I told her I didn't have anything in stock, but if she would tell me how much she wanted to pay I would make something up for her.
    She wants to spend $10....She is getting bibs. I will not do a quilt for $10.
    OMG.. People just DON'T get it or they are from old school and don't expect to pay much at all. Insane really!

I used to do needlework and when you put a piece in a show, you had to figure out the cost for insurance purposes. You multiply the hours spent making the item times minimum wage plus the cost of the materials. I do not know how you figure out the cost for quilts as I am new to this, but I would guess it should be about the same as needlework. Maybe you should keep a little chart to show people where you get your prices.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Sews
    I sell when the price is right. One quilt paid a years worth of car and house insurance, property tax, and filled my propane tank for the whole winter.
    that must have been one beeeaaauuutfulllll quilt. yes, i have a cousin that does patio decorative items. and she is always after me to make quilts and go the 'craft show' route. she bought a lap-- simple pattern sized velour quilt---that she had spent $200 on, just to show me how much money i could make if i sewed 60 hrs a week and spent half my weekends away from home at shows. she says, ' those that have it to spend, are spending it like crazy'. she can't understand that i have worked 60 hrs a week for years , and that i am retired now!!!

Blog Entries
    [quote=
    The gal then looked at the quilt and said, "May I just touch it?"
    I have to snicker at that. I should have charged her. ;) lol[/quote]

I love it and it is funny until I catch myself petting the fabric in the LQS!!

I sold a wall hanging 2 yeaars ago for $250.00, but you ladies are right, no one wants to pay what hand made quilts are worth. When I say hand made I mean, pieced on a machine and quilted by machine. I have 3 daughters and 4 granddaughters and I love making quilts, wall hangings, and table runners for them.

I have sold some, and I have done a few on commission, but I agree with what everone else has said- most people have no idea how much money and time is invested in a quilt.

I thought that I was getting those questions just because I'm a guy quilter! I agree with all the rest. I did make one on commission--a fellow re-enactor who was retiring from his job. His wife asked me and I didn't have the guts to say no. Came out OK, but, didn't really make any money on it. When I tell folks that I give them away to fellow re-enactors, the next comment is always, "Well, then give me one!" I just say, "Get in line!"

For those who don't know me, yet, I do Civil War Re-enacting and watched my grandmother make quilts for years. When I decided I wanted one for the back of my saddle, for Southern impressions, I tried making one myself. Came out pretty good and I discovered I enjoyed watching the patterns come together and have been quilting ever since.

Sgt. Jackaroo
    4th US Cavalry (Re-enacting)
    5th Texas Mounted Volunteers (CSA)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull
    If you put on a little black bonnet and wear a black dress you can get much more for a quilt. It seems the Amish quilts always go for big bucks in places like Shipshewana, IN where there are a lot of Amish. People think their work is better than we "English."
    yep and most don't realize that the Amish have the Hmong people do the actual quilting and have for years.
    http://www.womenfolk.com/quilt_notes/amish-hmong.htm

I have sold some on commission - only to people who understand the amount of time and money that go into quilts. I have also tried the craft shows and have to laugh at people when they look at a price tag and drop it like they have picked up a hot poker. They seem to think that because it is "home made" that it is less expensive. I always tell people that fabric runs about $10 a yard - even more now with the price increase. I do enjoy making quilts and getting paid for them - I just makes sure we agree on a price before starting. Learned my lesson by not telling the cost before hand.

Blog Entries
    I decided when I started trying to learn to quilt that I would NOT go into selling quilts...but I have sold a couple. The only way I'll do it is...they pay for fabric, there is NO timeframe and the pattern/quilting is totally MY choice, and they pay a lump sum for my time at the end. LOL...then I get to play on their dime..I just loose the quilt in the end.

Hand quilting a quilt has the same. When I lived in Ky, I handquilted for others and I charged no less than $500 and I would get those looks also. But thankfully, I had a few repeat customers. I think I hand quilted about 15 queen size quilts for this one person. And she was a gem. She hand pieced every one of her quilts and I loved working on them because of the quality of her fabrics and the wonderful job she did on the piecing. But still there were others that thought I should do them for next to nothing.

homecaregiver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    People ask if one sells their quilts but very few of those asking are willing to pay what a quilt is really worth. They would be the ones that want to buy a quilt for $40.00.

It's my hobby, as well. I do it for my pleasure and I get a blessing when I give a quilt away.
    I agree non-quilting people think $50 is too much to pay, when I start explaining how much materials cost, they shut up and keep walking. I quilt for myself and my own family anyone who asks me for a quilt I tell them $500 and up, that usually ends the conversation.

I was talking to my DD just yesterday about the cost of quilting, just commenting that it isn't a cheap hobby. Now my daughter is a smart person but when I pointed out a full sized quilt takes about 15 yards of fabric her mouth hung open. I'm not quite sure why people don't see the obvious and we are not even mentioning labor and batting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast