Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: SELLING QUILTS?

I couldn't agree more! Just cause we enjoy making them, doesn't mean we want the business of selling them. Some of mine finds homes elsewhere, others will remain here at home. At this point, I have more tops than actual finished quilts, & that is alot of the reason. One time, I hung tops, mostly small ones, all around my studio. Then DH comes in, & says, when are you going to finish these & SELL them? Sell them, I am thinking, no way, not my thing, & these are like my babies, to me anyway. So, shortly thereafter, I folded several & tucked them away. Out of site, out of mind, right! It worked on DH, for now anyway, he has quit asking, lol. But quite honestly, this I do for me, & my own sanity & enjoyment. I don't want to take quilt orders from other people, or quote prices on how much a quilter's work is worth. Now, if someone came along & offered me a price I couldn't refuse, for one I made, & enjoyed making, all on my own, then they might be lucky enough to take one of mine home, but I'm not holding my breath, & I don't even care... I just love fabric & love to quilt, so that's enough for me...

Blog Entries
    i get it all the time,people tell me if i sell my quilts i'll make money to make more. they think a good price for a queen size is about $100. yeah Right!!!

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who sells needlework via an ETSY.COM site. She has recommended that I set up an ETSY site and put a quilt on there. Has anyone tried that route?

now that I have this hobby of quilts, I enjoy making them. I give them to family. I am on no time frame and I let them know. They don't push either, because I offered to make them one.
    I don't think I would ever sell one. I don't think I would get a good price. I don't quilt either. I tie

I just like to keep doing what I do and that's enjoy

Blog Entries
    This goes for any other craft we have. I have made (knitted) all of my sweaters and vests. When I was working on one at lunch time on my job, a co-worker came by and asked me how much would I charge her to make her a vest. She was alway admiring my work. I told her $25.00 (this was many years ago) and she said that she could go to a store and get one for $12.00. I told her that she should go to the store then. She never asked again for a vest. People that don't have hobbies, will never understand. I don't sell quilts either. If someone came into my house and saw one they liked, willing to pay the price, then yes, I would sell them. Of course my girls always tell me that I'm a giver, therefore, give a lot of handmade things, including quilts away. I tried the craft consignment thingy and it didn't work either. Brought the quilts home and put them on MY bed. LOL Happy hobby time to everyone. Mary

I think when you take your hobby and sell the products, you've just made it your job. I find when I'm making a quilt and have a time limit.....and all the rest, it just takes the joy of making it right out of me.

I dont blame you. People who don't know what goes into making a quilt have no clue of their value and some are just priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    I have an older neighbor that thinks that she is doing me a favor when she asks me for a baby quilt....$20 is too much. I willingly give her a discounted price, but I have at least $20 in just materials...and I sell these at craft shows for much more.
    When she called me the other day to say she needed a gift for a baby girl, I told her I didn't have anything in stock, but if she would tell me how much she wanted to pay I would make something up for her.
    She wants to spend $10....She is getting bibs. I will not do a quilt for $10.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2
    I just makes sure we agree on a price before starting. Learned my lesson by not telling the cost before hand.
    The only quilts I have made so far are photo quilts for my grandchildren's graduations. They are 2-sided with emproidered quotes on them and a lot of fancy stitching. I get huge compliments on them, but never planned on selling them. Then my DSL asked me if I would consider making one for her step-daughter's grad. I told her up front how much it would cost. I quoted her the price of fabric & $12 an hr. I said that a lot of people would think that is too much, but that I figure my time is worth that much and if she doesn't want to pay that much I understand. I said I wanted everything understood up front so there are no misunderstandings. I told her I would not charge for the time doing the machine embroidery. She talked it over with her husband and we decided on a one-sided quilt, which would cut the cost and she said they thought it would be totally worth it. This all took place last fall or maybe before. She was supposed to send me the pictures and the quotes from family members she wanted on it. She sent me a few quotes and then nothing. Kept giving me excuses for not sending them. Oh, she gave me money right away for the fabric and we picked it out. I ordered it and have it cut and ready to go. Anyway, I finally called her (abt. 2 months ago) to see what is up. I said if they have decided it is just too expensive and they don't want to do it, no hard feelings, I understand. I told her if they do want to it and need to pay me a little at a time, that's fine, as long as I get what I asked. She said fine, they do still want to do it and would send me the pics, etc. I have not heard a word since. I'm sorry this is so long, but I would really like your take on this situation. I'm thinking I will just send her money back, use the fabric for something else. Would love to know what you all think.

Where I work really does not have a good layout to be able to have privacy for someone taking a webinar class. So...I brough a quilt, and a clothing rack to hang it on, to make a privacy screen. When my boss saw the quilt, she wanted to know if I would make a quilt that we, (work) could either sell, or auction off. We are a very small credit union, with equipment in desperate need of upgrading. She thought this would be a good way to raise some money. Thank goodness the gals I work with understand what it takes for me to make a quilt. None of them sew, but they are all very appreciative for my show-and-tell days. I didn't have to say anything to the boss...they all piped up and said she couldn't afford to buy it from me in the first place!!! That was the last of that conversation. :) I "might" make one for her some day....but it will be on my time, my choice of fabric and pattern, etc.

Patti

I agree with what everyone here has said about the general public, they don't have a clue as to what a quilt costs.
    because it is 'home made' it should be cheap. I don't sell my quilts, I give them to family and friends.

women's work is traditionally undervalued because so many women WILL do it for free. Think of afghans, very tough to sell because every one has an aunt or granny who will make one for little money.

I started quilting in the late 1970's when there were not a lot of people making quilts, and the imports had not flooded the market yet. I had no trouble selling my quilts. I dealt with two different stores in one small town, most of their business was quilts, and they were either tied or hand quilted.

When the Chinese quilts started coming in it was a different story. Not only could people get a handmade quilt for cheap $$ but the cheap prices created the impression that the value was really that low. (Of course the quality was down there in the basement with the price).

Over the years I have had several good customers who did not mind paying $500 to $1000 or more for a handquilted quilt. Not enough of them though..

When I did craft shows some of my best sales were to men. They did not seem to have a problem paying the price.

When people do have a problem with the price, I just say, "You should go to Kmart, I'm sure you will find something you like there."

Banned
    I don't work well under pressure. I want to make what I want to make.

Banned
    I worked at Hancock Fabrics. I did different crafts. Everyone wanted to buy them but no one wanted to pay. If I did sell something, they were so picky. They would rather pay more for junk.

One last comment. How can you put a price on the look on some one's face when you give them a quilt. I only give them to folks that I think are pretty special---paid in full.

Jack

Blog Entries
    I have done a few things on commission, but if I did sane quilts (instead of crazy quilts), I think I would tell them to go to the store and buy all the fabric and pattern, and then tell them a commission price you will charge...I bet they walk out of the store without purchasing anything, because they have no idea how much money besides the time that goes into our "hobbies"!!!!
    I did a clutch purse for a lady, for $40. and I did a pillow for another lady for $35. Both are on my flickr site....
    BJ http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Don't people realize how much material cost these days. I have spent anywhere between $60-$90 for material for twin or double bed size. I sure would not sell them that cheap. That's not counting the backing and stuffing.

When people ask me if I'd quilt for them, my answer is that they couldn't afford my work.

How can you sell a therapy session?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edensgaite
    How can you sell a therapy session?
    I love this one...that's what my quilting is to me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    People ask if one sells their quilts but very few of those asking are willing to pay what a quilt is really worth. They would be the ones that want to buy a quilt for $40.00.

It's my hobby, as well. I do it for my pleasure and I get a blessing when I give a quilt away.
    I agree. Most peoople have no concept of the time and work
    that goes into a quilt. I hand quilt, so that,of course, adds to
    the hours. I don't want to insult people, so I just say I don't
    sell quilts. What I'm thinking is "you won't pay me $l,000.00
    for one, and even at that I would be working for a dollar
    or two an hour" I don't actually know anybody that does
    work for that amount...except "Mothers" of course, ha.
    And we have to remember it takes even time to pick out
    the fabrics, drive to get them, and of course pay the big
    dollars for the fabric, batting, etc.

That's what I would do, send the money back. She obviously doesnt want to or cant afford to have it made. I had a neighbor ask me to do a photo quilt for her step mother. Sort of same deal wanted her to know up front how much for the size she wanted. She got back to me right away and said she wasnt willing to spend that much so we talked it over and I made her a smaller one on the agreed on price of $250. She didn't bat an eye, gave me halft right there and half when finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by JudeWill
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2
    I just makes sure we agree on a price before starting. Learned my lesson by not telling the cost before hand.
    The only quilts I have made so far are photo quilts for my grandchildren's graduations. They are 2-sided with emproidered quotes on them and a lot of fancy stitching. I get huge compliments on them, but never planned on selling them. Then my DSL asked me if I would consider making one for her step-daughter's grad. I told her up front how much it would cost. I quoted her the price of fabric & $12 an hr. I said that a lot of people would think that is too much, but that I figure my time is worth that much and if she doesn't want to pay that much I understand. I said I wanted everything understood up front so there are no misunderstandings. I told her I would not charge for the time doing the machine embroidery. She talked it over with her husband and we decided on a one-sided quilt, which would cut the cost and she said they thought it would be totally worth it. This all took place last fall or maybe before. She was supposed to send me the pictures and the quotes from family members she wanted on it. She sent me a few quotes and then nothing. Kept giving me excuses for not sending them. Oh, she gave me money right away for the fabric and we picked it out. I ordered it and have it cut and ready to go. Anyway, I finally called her (abt. 2 months ago) to see what is up. I said if they have decided it is just too expensive and they don't want to do it, no hard feelings, I understand. I told her if they do want to it and need to pay me a little at a time, that's fine, as long as I get what I asked. She said fine, they do still want to do it and would send me the pics, etc. I have not heard a word since. I'm sorry this is so long, but I would really like your take on this situation. I'm thinking I will just send her money back, use the fabric for something else. Would love to know what you all think.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I appreciate the reply. That is definitely what I am leaning towards.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaJR
    I used to do needlework and when you put a piece in a show, you had to figure out the cost for insurance purposes. You multiply the hours spent making the item times minimum wage plus the cost of the materials. I do not know how you figure out the cost for quilts as I am new to this, but I would guess it should be about the same as needlework. Maybe you should keep a little chart to show people where you get your prices.
    This is an excellent approach, except I don't see where they get off considering the labor at minimum wage. There is obviously some skill involved, which is more than the kinds of jobs that pay minimum wage. It reminded me of a situation in the 1970's when a wonderfully talented sculptor we knew slightly had a showing at an important gallery in Houston. His pieces, which represented years of work, were in a lower level gallery. There was a huge tropical storm that dumped a lot of rain. The gallery was flooded and everything was lost. He had, out of modesty (?), undervalued his work for insurance purposes. It was a painful lesson. Artists and crafts people in all media need to place an honest value on their work. Usually only fellow quilters have a clear idea of the value of a quilt, so it's not unexpected that potential buyers are surprised, but quilters need to explain how much they have invested in time as well as materials. It might be useful to turn the question around in terms of how much the buyer would expect to earn per hour to make something with their hands, and then mention how many hours the quilt took to make.

Blog Entries
    As stated in another post I did, I had my crafts in a consignment shop at one time. The owner told me that $300.00 was too much to ask for a hand quilted, queen sized quilt. I told her that if I wanted to give the quilts away that I needed to take them home and give them to family and special friends...........so tha't what I did. I brought them home, gave some away and using the rest. Needless to say, I have not considered that route again. My girls can divide them up after my death.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieF
    I think when you take your hobby and sell the products, you've just made it your job. I find when I'm making a quilt and have a time limit.....and all the rest, it just takes the joy of making it right out of me.
    I agree 100% with you....this is a hobby not a REAL job....lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast