Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling quilts? >

Selling quilts?

Selling quilts?

Old 12-23-2015, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I've learned to avoid any headaches! And, it is oh so worth it!
I've purchased (2) longarms thanks to sold quilts, gone on many great vacations, support my* quilting habit* without ever dipping into the household budget. I keep good records, shop sales to maximize my profit margin, discuss everything with potential buyer up front-- communication and honesty are a must!
So, it appears you have turned a hobby into a business. Yes, it can be done, but then it becomes a whole different thing.....
Old 12-23-2015, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I have sold quilts that took ribbons in quilt shows and it is difficult to find a place where people who want to pay a decent price are located. I found that people who see a stunning quilt are more eager to buy them thus I have made quilts that are simple but stunning. eBay is nothing but the world's largest garage sale. They are looking for bargains (including me). With the number of quilts being imported from China, most people would rather buy a quilt that was less expensive. That is why I switched to making charity quilts.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:20 AM

I'm with Geri B, once a hobby becomes a business, it ruins the enjoyment of the hobby. However, once said, I do have several friends who make money long arming for friends and older quilters that don't have the time or enticement to quilt, just sew. I like the idea of selling tops and then having input into the quilting design. That's a terrific idea I will pass on to my long arming friends.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I make quilts I like, pattern, colors and give them away. I have many, many yards of fabrics and just want to see as much of it sewn into quilts as I can. I would not want to turn a hobby into a job.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:07 PM

I make quilts I like. If per chance someone I work with wants to buy one YAY. Several requests for quilts were made for Xmas gifts. I did not do complicated or large quilts. They only gave me a choice of color
Old 12-23-2015, 02:12 PM

I think quilts made by us quilters is in the zone as Mercedes, Lexus,BMW,.........most people who want a quilt will look for the less expensive alternative...but let me say, I recently acquired two "made in India" quilts w/shams at an estate sale for $35 each...queen size. I must say, these are much better constructed than past copies of " our quilt designs". One is white bkgrnd with embroidered(machine) clusters of pines, holly leaves and all hand quilted with crosshatching and feathers...the other is a lone star with well spaced hand quilted designs...both are scalloped with complimentary quilting following the scallops.these quilts were in pristine condition and the white one now dresses my bed for the holiday. I want to say I have seen similar quilts at a Cracker Barrel in a town off the expressway......they are priced higher than $39.95......

This, like so many other things are now mass produced globally and therefore the prices are competitive. But, on the reverse there are still those who will want a handmade quilt and willing to pay the price quoted....

I have also accumulated 4 Amish made --2 whole cloth and 2 needle turned appliqued pieced, beautiful quilts..again at estate sales at what I consider a very good price...and I just think how sad that no one in any of these families wanted them. I use these on the beds in my house, along with some of my own...don't know what will happen to them when I'm gone....but now, I enjoy seeing them.....
... And I will continue to make quilts because I totally enjoy the process........

Just my thoughts
Old 12-23-2015, 09:04 PM

Seems like more people are willing to pay for a crib quilt than the higher cost of a bed quilt. You might want to start there and see what your area's market will sustain.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:31 AM

Thanks for all the advice! I do think if I make quilts to sell they will be small quilts, either wall hangings, crib quilts, or even lap quilts.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:29 AM

I recall (ahem....a few moons ago) that my grandmother had made me a DWR for my high school graduation. My mother approached me one day saying someone had offered $1000 for it. (I'm not even aware if they had even seen it!) I declined. I figured it would probably be the last quilt my grandmother would be able to make for me and I didn't want to part with it. I'm very glad I didn't. (although when she got wind of it, she scolded me for not selling it!). My grandmother has passed on now and I treasure that quilt.

Some people do want homemade quilts and will pay, but it's to find that market.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
Thanks so much! I'm really thinking of possibly selling quilts but maybe even smaller projects such as quilted pot holders, place mats, and such. Thanks again!
I sell large quilts, potholders, and table runners on Etsy. I love doing it and it is fun, but a LOT of work. With all the shops on Etsy, it is very hard to get found unless you put an hour or so at least every other day into social media. Plus there is all the search engine optimization research, and the listing photographing.

I also have a blog with quilting tips, patterns, and features of quilts I have made. This helps bring in some traffic to my Etsy shop. You could try ebay, specific quilt selling websites, or put out local ads such as for sale Facebook pages. Good luck!