Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
selling your quilts. >

selling your quilts.

selling your quilts.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 AM

I think we feel that some quilt prices are too high because we don't value our work enough - the time and effort we put into our quilts - and what we deserve to get for one, if/when possible. Just think how much you'd charge if you figured out the hours we spent on one quilt and multiply that by even minimum wage, then add in the cost of materials!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Iamquilter
I sell my baby quilts. I live on a busy highway and have a sign in my front yard "Baby Quilts for Sale" It goes in streaks, some weeks I will sell three or four and others none. Use to go to craft sales, but that costs money too and they keep going up with there space prices. This way I do not have to content with the outside elements. I have repeat customers so am very satisfied with my results.
You know, that does work! When I lived up in NH I had a little clothesline in my front yard. The quilts I hung on it sold very nicely!
Some places, I might worry about theft...I don't know, these days.
Your sign sounds like a great idea! Jeannie
Old 07-29-2011, 05:36 AM

try to find a 'niche' - sell a specific theme type quilt.

I told the man that called, that due to the accident I no longer quilt (this was RIGHT after the accident), but the reason he was calling was because he saw a basenji themed quilt I donated to our national show, and he wanted to buy one.

Since then, I don't 'sell' and am lucky I don't have to. Though since then I've made a basenji themed wallhanging, and am half considering finding the guy and just making him one as a gift. Sort of a thank you for making me think maybe I could still do this.

I suggest trying to think of a specific theme that's not too common.