Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selling your quilts

Selling your quilts

If you are selling your quilts from home and a potential costumer comes to your home, bring all the quilts that you want to sell into the room that you allow people to come into, before they arrive. DO NOT LEAVE THE ROOM FOR ANY REASON, before the leave. A distant relative was showing quilts, the lady's asked if she had more. When she left the room, they grabed the quilts, 4 or 5, and ran. They were gone before she could understand what had happened.

Difficult to trust people when they act like that. Someone DID see and they will pay later.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

even in the quilt world some people are awful! Can we ever do enough to protect ourselves from scammers and thieves?
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

How sad for your aunt and how mean and despicable of them. Thank you for your advice.

Power Poster
    Oh my word! Tell her to be extra careful, they may be back as they had time to see what else she has in her house worth stealing. It is always best to go to a nuetral and safe location for selling anything.

So sorry that happened. I hate that we have to worry about every little thing anymore. Stuff we used to not have second thoughts about really make us think now.

Blog Entries
    Ain't people nice? Nope. I'm so sorry to hear that happened but it doesn't surprise me at all.

Blog Entries
    More words of caution... Never, Ever allow strangers in your home if you are alone!!! If you want to sell from your home you should Always make sure you have another person in the house with you when people are coming to see your items. A friend, a relative, someone.
    Never, Ever let strangers in when alone!!!!
    This could have been a lot worse than losing some quilts.
    I hope she called the police right away. If not she needs to. And, make sure you always have pictures and documentation for each item so they can be identified if found.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

That's terrible!!

We just ordered a camera & monitoring system for our house, we've been having so much theft of packages off of our porch lately. It's just sad that I have to resort to such measures, it's a nice neighborhood otherwise.

Thieves are among the worst of all people.
    I don't sell quilts and would not have strangers come into my home.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

That is terrible.

I have opened the door and asked a delivery man to please put a really heavy box inside the front door. I also have two huge dogs that are in stand-by mode ......

Stolen quilts should be posted on the stolen quilts site. I hope she has photos of the quilts.

If I were going to sell quilts (which I'm not) I'd sell at upscale Christmas Craft Fairs.
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

I have sold several quilts from my home but DH was always there (Big, but a pussycat!). The buyers always came recommended by someone else, never had a problem. On one occasion they were from France and discussed in French how much they should offer for the quilt. They didn't know I understood everything they were saying!

That just awful on so many levels. I hope maybe a neighbor might have seen something had help to bring these awful people to justice.

That's horrible, not surprising in this day and age unfortunately.

I have had people pick up some of the quilts that I donate, but I always my have German Shepherd at the door LOL ... not too many people willing to challenge one of those dogs!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree with ckcowl. Have a couple friends with you and if you can't bring them all out, that is all the inventory you have. I hope you find the culprits.
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    More words of caution... Never, Ever allow strangers in your home if you are alone!!! If you want to sell from your home you should Always make sure you have another person in the house with you when people are coming to see your items. A friend, a relative, someone.
    Never, Ever let strangers in when alone!!!!
    This could have been a lot worse than losing some quilts.
    I hope she called the police right away. If not she needs to. And, make sure you always have pictures and documentation for each item so they can be identified if found.

That must be sickening for her. But since they were thieves, it's like CkCowl said, it could have been very bad.
    jean

It might cause more work but I would take the quilts to a library or some public place before time for the meeting and stay with them until the buyer left. Then they aren't casing your house for valuables while they are there and they don't know where you live and quilts are guarded at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
    That must be sickening for her. But since they were thieves, it's like CkCowl said, it could have been very bad.
    I agree !! They could have done her physical harm and ransacked her home. I really wish this apt complex I live in would allow us to have chains on our doors. You can't talk thru a peep hole.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

What a horrible experience, so sorry that happened to your relative.

What a horrible person to steal the quilts. I agree that someone saw. I have worked lots and lots of retail and also have been a waitress so I have been thru the wars and I always tell myself that they might think they got away with something but I know they will BURN IN HELL

Power Poster
    So sorry that happened to your relative, but sadly there are many more unscrupulous people in the world now, unfortunately. Did she have pictures of the quilts, report them stolen so that they might be recovered some day? I know I would be heartbroken if anyone had stolen my quilts that I worked so hard to make. Granted I do give away a lot, but that's my choice.

mac
    I agree with everyone.

You have to be really careful nowadays. Just yesterday, I was in the customer service line at Safeway returning something. The sweet little gray haired lady in front of me was reporting that someone stole her purse right out of her shopping basket. She said that she had just turned around to grab a can of beans and someone walked passed her and lifted her purse right out of the basket and they were gone in a flash. When she turned back around the purse was gone.
    How many times have we had our purse in the shopping cart and looked, for example, at the shelf with the 50 different brands and styles of pickles trying to figure out which is cheaper, etc -- we are usually distracted for longer than we think -- anything could happen.

Prayers for your aunt - may something nice happen to replace this bad memory.

The purse stealing at the grocery store is not new. In the late 1970's I was grocery shopping with my mother. An employee came up to tell my mother to close watch her purse. He had seen a man sneaking around trying to grab her wallet out of the open purse. About 14 years ago I knew a woman who had her purse in the cart as she put groceries in her car. Someone drove by and grabbed her purse! Luckily a man nearby noted the make and model of the car and someone saw the license plate. The guy was picked up the next day.

So sorry to hear about the woman having her quilts stolen.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

I use a small purse with a long strap & it is always across my body & hanging in front. A friend has hers zipped shut & uses the child straps through the handles of her purse. She can't even take out of the cart without unhooking the strap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast