Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
serger quilts >

serger quilts

serger quilts

Old 08-28-2011, 12:31 PM

The only satin I've personally seen quilted was done in a variety of decorative stitches. It looked very victorian.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by VickyS
Thanks for the link, TanyaL and Sadiemae! It was fun to watch and see what can be done on a serger.

I've been thinking about doing something in a poly satin since I've got a bunch of that lying around after some dress making. The material would look great in a quilt, and it would definitely need serged seams to stay together since the material is very loosely woven compared to cotton.

Could a serger be used for FMQ of some form on such a quilt? That's my biggest concern since I don't know how I would quilt such a slippery material.
A serger isn't going to fmq, it is just going to make a finished seam. Unless of course there is a new serger that I don't know about, which is quite possible because I really don't keep up with all of the new machines available.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 PM

I have pieced simple quilts using the serger. It is really beneficial when making them for the church to send off, since they wear like iron. these quilts are meant to be tied and not FMQ but they are great for quilts which are going to be washed alot. They never fray.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:57 PM

I have a log cabin quilt I made in 1987 from swap fabric (anyone remember Prodigy bulletin board?). I had recieved a used serger as a bonus when I bought a mini industrial sewing machine...was horrid to thread. That aside...I decided to make a quilt from the Black and White swap fabrics..they were 1/4 yard lengths (not fat quarters)...so I cut them into 2" strips. Sewing machine (old Kenmore) seemed awful slow...so I decided to use the new to me serger...loved it! Faster (at least double the speed), and it had a seam guide...which I set at 1/4" and started serging.
First I took a 3" wide strip of vintage red calico and paired it with a black on white (my light)..did long strips till I ran out of red (ok..not the best way...but my first log cabin & my first serger project). I then cut this pair of fabrics into 3-1/2" long sections. Next, was the 2nd light strips..stitched the 3-1/2" sections to the next light strip, long strip on bottom, sections on the top...went perfectly..though you have about an inch or little less between sections (so a bit of waste). When I was out of sections, I cut them apart (this before rotary cutter and mat...at least for me).
Continued each color until I had 12-1/2" blocks. I then serged the blocks together in a diamond pattern. I still have the quilt...though it's been through the ringer with my son's use. In 2004, I was helping him with a jet ski part...opened his trailer storage...there was the quilt..protecting the delicate parts! Several of the cheap fabrics had disentigrated...so he was using it for camping/and whatever else. I've repaired it several times..not because of the serging...but because the fabrics from that swap have not all held up...two just disapeared in washings..they were neat too... Bob Hope, James Cagney, Mae West, etc...line drawings on the white and reverse on the black fabric...both seemed to disolve in the wash over a year or two.
I have done several since then...and now have a nice serger that is very easy to thread. I got it (White ATS 2000) because it's easy to thread...and has settings for a rolled hem..just with the turn of a dial..makes the changes for you. Easy to make napkins to match table toppers & placemats.

Originally Posted by TanyaL
I would like to hear from anyone who has made a quilt using a serger and what your experience was, what advice you have to give .
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 AM

My sister and I share a serger and the machine has 1-4 thread capability. I can't see why you couldn't FMQ using 1 thread, but it probably has something to do with the sideways and back motion of FMQ which is a no-no on a serger.

I recently saw a YouTube link on a serger quilt that was really cleverly done, pretty much QAYG.

Has anyone made anything larger than lap size on a serger? Since the throat isn't that large, I'm curious how much harder it might be to do a larger quilt.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 AM

My sister and I share a serger and the machine has 1-4 thread capability. I can't see why you couldn't FMQ using 1 thread, but it probably has something to do with the sideways and back motion of FMQ which is a no-no on a serger.

I recently saw a YouTube link on a serger quilt that was really cleverly done, pretty much QAYG.

Has anyone made anything larger than lap size on a serger? Since the throat isn't that large, I'm curious how much harder it might be to do a larger quilt.
Can you post a link?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM

I have made quite a few quilts on the serger, all of them were quilt as you go and made with strips of fabric and batting in between. You end up with a reversible quilt. All you need to do at the end is the binding. The quilt police, (otherwise known as a quilt guild), told me that they were not really quilts though. They are great for kids since they wear very well. I have the dimensions and yardage required at home. If anyone wants it, send me a PM, and I'll send it to you.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 AM

VickyS:
To FMQ, you need a darning foot in place, and lowered feed dogs...also, space...you don't have that with a serger.

With Satin, I would add an interfacing to the satin as I stitched the blocks...or use a fusible first, before cutting the pieces out.

Actually, instead of a serger, why not a foundation pieced quilt? Cut the foundation squares in the size (plus seam allowance) you want and either draw the shapes onto the fabric foundation, or just do strips of satins, and stitch them on with a domestic machine?

I think I personally would put a lightweight, non-woven, fusible on the back of the satin, before serging...serged satin just does not hold up well...it will pull apart with washing..and a quilt in satin would have to be drycleaned. I'd use the fusible first, or do a foundation pieced quilt, and use a 1/2" seam allowance.

Could a serger be used for FMQ of some form on such a quilt? That's my biggest concern since I don't know how I would quilt such a slippery material.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM

thanks for sharing the interesting site.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:30 PM

Here's the link to Nancy Z's quick quilting using a serger. She is doing a foundation pieced QAYG serged quilt with prarie points and incorporating the serged seams into the design of the quilt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAzqq98Q0KI