Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sergers --- Do you have one? >

Sergers --- Do you have one?

Sergers --- Do you have one?

Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 AM

This makes me happy I never saw a need or had a desire to purchase a serger.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:32 AM

I have a BERNINA machine that I have had for 40 years (I had to really think that through!). I used it for years to make window treatments when I had a small home based business. I use it fairly often now for a wide variety of things-clothing and decorative items. I made one quilt with it and didn't like the way the stitching laid down. So, I have not done that again. I am glad I have it and it has been very useful.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:32 AM

I have a brand new one -- never used. Would like to sell it Could us the money for other things (more fabric).
Old 03-14-2018, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
bonded with mine. Its a foot stool in my workroom.
LOL that is hilarious! I had one for two years, took classes, couldn't get it to thread properly half the time, sold it last week!
Old 03-14-2018, 04:31 AM

I just bought a Juki MO-654DE last week. I haven't made anything with it yet, but gave it a trial run on scraps. I love the quality of the machine and stitches. Before I got it, I watched several YouTube videos so threading it wasn't as difficult as I feared. One of the videos suggested putting a different color thread on each spool to help with identifying tension settings, and that was a great tip! I am really glad I bought it. It will be great for home dec and apparel projects.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 AM

I have a vintage Baby Lok, probably has a million miles on it, but it's a work horse and even though I don't use it much any more, there's no way I'd get rid of her.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I have one...haven't used it in years. : (
Old 03-14-2018, 05:18 AM

I have a serger and coverstitch machine, both Babylock. I use my serger all the time, but more on garments and home dec projects. Just the other day a friend came by with some slinky pants that needed hemming - used the rolled hem on the serger and took about 5 minutes. I sew a lot more than quilts so wouldn't be without one.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:33 AM

I have the Baby Lock Imagine that air blows the looper threads in place---way too cool! I also have two others that I got from garage sales – a Singer and I believe the other one is a Janome. I couldn’t have a sewing room w/o a serger. Not because I use it all the time which I don’t, but because I think it’s vital when sewing garments. I haven’t sewn any wearables in over a year because I’ve been mostly working on scrappies. I do, however, use the serger for sewing the fabric cut ends before they go into the wash for pre-shrinking. I don’t use the serger for anything other than sewing the edges oh…it’s also nice for a rolled hem...I've used it for that a couple of times.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:02 AM

I have a Brother. When I bought it, I wasn’t sure how much I’d use it so I could not justify the price difference for a Janome I got to demo. That year, I made blankets for all the neices and nephews and it came in very handy. It takes me forever to figure out how to thread it.

Sadly, it’s been in storage for over a year. Just no room for both it and the sewing machine since we moved. I really missed it when I made bookoos of burp rags this past Dec/Jan.