Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sergers --- Do you have one? >

Sergers --- Do you have one?

Sergers --- Do you have one?

Old 03-14-2018, 10:14 AM

I didn't know if I would use one, so bought an inexpensive used one. I don't use it much, but it has been a nice machine for me with a beautiful stitch so I keep it. It has come in handy over the years (sewing baptism gowns for church, curtains, pillowcases etc) so I will hold onto it. Really haven't used it for quilting.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
I have had the Baby Lock Imagine for about 15 years. Love it and use it often. I see that the Ovation is being replaced with the triumph. Really had my heart set on the Ovation now will have to rethink this. Maybe I can still get the Ovation at a dealer.
Maggie Sue, Your dealer may have a used 0vation machine if someone trades up. The Evolution is a nice one too if you are interested. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2018, 12:34 PM

I bought a Janome about 2 years ago and wonder why I left it sooooo long to buy one. I do make a lot of clothes for myself and my granddaughter and the odd garment for hubby and they are done in no time at all. I have not used it for quilting but know of a few others that do.

I guess you need to ask yourself the question "what am I going to use it for?"

Where I bought mine I had an intensive 4 hour lesson and took heaps of notes and photos and would suggest that it is "must" to have a lesson as just looking at an overlocker can be a bit frightening.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 PM

I have an old New Home Model 234D. It is the dickens to thread and it does not sew properly at this time. Probably not threaded right. I actually found the manual a few days ago that I thought it had been lost years ago. Might come in handy getting the stitch correct. LOL I use it mainly to serge the edges of fabric when I pre-wash. Have used it the past to serge the seam edges of Victorian costume dresses so they last longer and also to serge the seams in making pillowcases. Its home is on the back edge of my sewing table covered with a plastic storage bag. It gets air through the bottom so it will not rust in our humid climate.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:26 PM

Took a class 11 years ago taught by Eleanor Burns. We made a log cabin quilt using a serger to piece the whole thing in just a few hours. I still have the top but am reluctant to sandwich and quilt it because I love looking at the nice, neat, finished seams with no raveling. I bought a serger at a garage sale last year and am thinking about trying to piece a Pineapple quilt using the serger as soon as I can figure out how to thread it.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I recently bought one at an estate sale thinking that I would make knit clothing for my granddaughter, but still haven't figured out how to use it.
I also bought mine used, and it had no manual. I spent $16 dollars for a manual, spent three hours playing with it, learning to thread, etc. now I use it almost daily for all those
“Mom, can you fix this?” projects. I am about to make some stretch velvet baby items for a friend so it will get a workout. Mine sat for a while due to intimidation factors from all the horror stories I have heard in years past. I just decided one day I was not going to be cowed by a silly little machine. I will tell to that a pair of locking forceps or tweezers will be your best friend, and I also keep a very small crochet hook in with the serger tools for threading since I have dad’s stubby fingers. Go for it. Do not try to make something yet, just play to get the hang of it. I will tell you that taking serging stitches out is a pain, so experiment a bit before to begin an actual project. *Remember, you must in some way stop the stitches from coming apart at the end of seams. Some folks use fray check or other fabric or thread adhesives, I do not. I have been tying a knot in the end of the stitches. It seems to work fine although figuring out how to tie those threads together did take a little practice. Enjoy your new playmate, I sure do. (My serger is a ”Huskyloc” and has threading diagrams on the inside of the threading access door to follow.)

Last edited by madamekelly; 03-14-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:54 PM

I had a Pfaff Hobbylock I bought in late '80's when I was garment sewing. When I got back into quilting it sat unused so long it seized up. Got it serviced up and working again and passed it onto my daughter who is now into garment sewing. I enjoyed having it back when, but seems it's one of those things that if you don't use them, and keep them at the ready, it's easier to find other ways to accomplish the job than to thread it up and remember how to use it
Old 03-14-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I also bought mine used, and it had no manual. I spent $16 dollars for a manual, spent three hours playing with it, learning to thread, etc. now I use it almost daily for all those
“Mom, can you fix this?” projects. I am about to make some stretch velvet baby items for a friend so it will get a workout. Mine sat for a while due to intimidation factors from all the horror stories I have heard in years past. I just decided one day I was not going to be cowed by a silly little machine. I will tell to that a pair of locking forceps or tweezers will be your best friend, and I also keep a very small crochet hook in with the serger tools for threading since I have dad’s stubby fingers. Go for it. Do not try to make something yet, just play to get the hang of it. I will tell you that taking serging stitches out is a pain, so experiment a bit before to begin an actual project. *Remember, you must in some way stop the stitches from coming apart at the end of seams. Some folks use fray check or other fabric or thread adhesives, I do not. I have been tying a knot in the end of the stitches. It seems to work fine although figuring out how to tie those threads together did take a little practice. Enjoy your new playmate, I sure do. (My serger is a ”Huskyloc” and has threading diagrams on the inside of the threading access door to follow.)
I meant to say is is a Husqvarna...
Old 03-15-2018, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I have an Ovation also, and bought a whole pack of extra feet for it. Took the class and really loved learning about it.

I use to do a lot of clothing sewing, and used my older serge a lot. Decided after 30 years, it was time to upgrade. So far I've not used it on anything quilt related. I have a long table for my machines, so it's got it's own spot. It is slid over in this picture to make room for binding a large quilt.

I have an evolution. Love it. BL is the only one I’d own. Similar set up with ikea-esque furniture.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:06 AM

I have had a BabyLock Imagine since 2009, love it and use it. Like Sew Freak I use mine a lot. Serge the ends of fabric before washing, no fraying, use to sew the burrito style pillowcases for charity, use the wave stitch to edge flannel for receiving blankets, and when I make a light wear around the house summer dress, stitch it up with the serger. I have also used it on table runners, wall hangings, napkins, and made one quilt with it. Don't remember why I don't do that anymore.