Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sergers >

Sergers

Sergers

Old 06-22-2017, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Kaye Woods! that was who I was thinking of.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:51 PM

I am in the process of making the Kaye Woods 6-Hour Quilt with my serger. Am using flannel that I've washed to shrink it. The quilt will be used in the winter and I think it will be warm.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
No, I wouldn't do it. Besides not being an accurate seam allowance, serger thread is thin polyester and melts when you iron it. If you used cotton thread on a serger, it would be too bulky.
I've pressed bags that used the serger thread on the seams. The bags were cotton. The thread did not melt.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
Does anyone use a Serger to piece a quilt? Is it ok to use a serger for attaching borders and binding even if the rest of the quilt is pieced with a regular machine?
I believe that both Kaye Wood and Eleanor Burns have put out booklets on making a serged quilt. You'll never know unless you try.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:59 PM

I used mine on a down and dirty strip quilt - boy did that go together fast. Depending on the "importance" of the project, I would not hesitate to use a serger.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:39 AM

First of all, seam allowances can be just as accurate as they are with a sewing machine, depending on the user. 2nd, one big advantage is that you never have to change a bobbin or worry it'll run out. You don't have to use 4 threads, you can do 3. Nancy Zieman plus many others have you tubes and other videos on how to do this. Nancy Z also has a great book on it as well. I've done runners, small and twin size quilts all on my serger. so yes, it can be done. check out the online documentation that is out there. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I've pressed bags that used the serger thread on the seams. The bags were cotton. The thread did not melt.
I agree, if serger thread melted garment makers wouldn't use it because we iron (most of us) seams as we go. Rayon has a higher chance of melting that poly does. Serger thread holds up well. I even used it to do free standing lace on my embroidery machine. I was making Easter baskets for a bunch of my grandkids and I didn't want to use the rayon because it cost more and I would be surprised if the baskets lasted much beyond that day. It worked out great and much to my surprise, my daughters kids still have theirs.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:21 AM

I have never done one myself, but Nancy Zieman (Sewing With Nancy) did a show about using a using a serger to make a quilt. You can find that on You Tube.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:11 PM

I made a serger quilt years ago. It is my least favorite and has been put on a bed very occassionaly. While I still love the colour choices I made, I think there are several reasons for my lack of love for this quilt.

Firstly, it was a class at my local LQS and instead of refunding my money when there were too few people signed up for the class, they gave me a 'special' lesson. All by my lonesome with the owner popping in once and a while. (BTW they gave me no other option--kind of take it or leave it--but we're keeping your money. That particular LQS closed not long afterward and I am sure it had a lot to do with the owner's attitude)

It was a QAYG using long strips. I did not use the right batting--much too thick for all the layers in the seams. But no one told me that and I struggled with the serger catching the batting and all the strips. The batting also made it very stiff. I have never washed this quilt because I am afraid my seams will unravel.

The whole experience actually put me off taking classes for a while. It was a waste of my time and a fair bit of money.
I have thought about trying that technique again on a smaller scale and with the hindsight of many more years of quilting. I would like to see what technique you use and how you like the result.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:08 PM

I do piece long strips with my serger. I find it very accurate once I learned where to position the fabric. I would not piece small pieces with a serger. I also sew the binding on my quilts with my serger and use fusible thread in the lower looper. Then I press the binding over which makes the hand stitching go really fast since it is fuse to the quilt.