Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sergers >

Sergers

Sergers

Old 10-06-2019, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Like everyone says, for home décor and garments it is a must have. I do not use it for quilting. I did see a beautiful quilt done with satins in a better homes and gardens quilt book that surged to the outside and made them exposed seams on the outside, like pin tucks. Very artsy! I love mine and can't keep house without it. Saves a ton of money on home deco things like draperies and pillows.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:14 PM

Am in the process of making Kay Woods 6-hour serger quilt for a king size bed. Love the process. Friend always make a crib size quilt for new grandchildren and baby showers. She loves the serger quilts.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:24 PM

I don't use my serger at all for quilting. I use it for garments and when I need to finish the edges for a project like a pillow sham.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:48 AM

in addition to serging the edges of fabric yardage before washing, I recently serged the edge of a finished quilt top to keep the narrow border from fraying. Had to put away until finishing later. I use my serger when making home dec items, when shortening too long pants or tops, and in purse making. I made round Christmas tree napkins the other day using Nancy Zieman's pattern/directions. Quick and easy gift for a guild exchange.
In other words, love my serger and would hate to not have one.

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quic...-tree-napkins/
Old 10-07-2019, 02:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
... I made round Christmas tree napkins the other day using Nancy Zieman's pattern/directions. Quick and easy gift for a guild exchange. ...
http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quic...-tree-napkins/
thanks for the link... hopefully this year I'll get around to making them.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:05 AM

Default To serge or not to serge

Originally Posted by Linda Renfro View Post
I have a chance to buy a used (very little use) Bernina serger for a good price, but do I really need it is my question to myself. I was wondering if any one has one and how often do you use it with quilting projects and what do you use it for when quilting? Thanks! All information is greatly appreciated. Happy Quilting!!!
I do a wide variety of sewing. I’ve had different brands and capabilities of sergers for 30 years and have taken the Martha Pullen certification class. IMO If you’re going to get a serger get a Babylock. Used or new this is the one. Many of their styles have jet air threading for the loopers. That is the part that turns most off to using a serger. There are classes you can take that will expand your serger repertoire for quilt serging. Some have the “wave stitch” which makes a lovely finish instead of binding. Debcanhamstudio.com has free videos and inexpensive classes for the video. If you get a serger with cover/chain you can FMQ with a serger. You can use beautiful decorative threads. I guess I’ll jump off my soapbox for now. Just know the a serger can do far more than just finish a seam. Here’s a photo of a tote I made in Debs recent class in maryland. The possibilities are endless.
Attached Thumbnails 713253ca-d45d-462e-9197-38485d0574fd.jpeg  
Old 10-07-2019, 03:14 AM

I would get it if it is a decent price. I love my serger, mine is a viking. I had a Singer for many years before this. I actually made a quick baby quilt on it. So quick & easy. I need to make more. I use my serger all the time for things. That is one must for my sewing room.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:22 AM

I have made a log cabin quilt on a serger. My only sewing machine was in the repair shop and I went into quilting withdrawal. There was my serger. I put that quilt together in no time and it went together just like I had made it on my sewing machine. I was worried about the consistency of the seam allowances and really made an effort to watch out for that. It paid off! You would never know it had been serged. It pressed up beautifully and laid perfectly flat. It also measured the same across the top and along the sides! I would not hesitate to serge another one should the need arise.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:07 AM

I serge all of my quilts before I bind them. This gives me a nice stable edge to attach my binding to. For that alone, I would get a serger, especially if it's a bargain like you're describing.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:37 AM

My serger gets a workout. There are quilts that I have done where the serger can trim the edge and the bat at the same time. I just finished a QAYG that one of the many techniques I tried on it (a learn new things quilt) was to use the serger to add a boarder row around the quilt. It worked great. I find there are other things that the serger is great for. Mostly in garment sewing but I make a good number of receiving blankets and it is great for that . For me it was a great investment all the way around.