Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sergers >

Sergers

Sergers

Old 10-07-2019, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I could live without a serger, but I am glad to have one.

I make bags, and it is great to finish the inner seams.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:58 AM

I use my serger all the time, but not much for quilting. I did put together a charity quilt with the serger. It was quick, accurate and best of all - finishes all of the seams, so the back is as clean as a whistle. My serger is a Babylock, so no issues with threading or tension.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:59 AM

I do a lot of alterations, crafts and embroidery as well as quilting. I have had several sergers through the years, and my Babylock is irreplaceable! Not the air-threading, but it doesn't care which order you thread in!! That was a game changer for me. But to your question...I make pillowcases for my quilts, also those pesky sleeves for hanging (long boring seams) are quick and easy. I have serged the edges of the quilt to "compact" the bulk as well. I once did a pieced back on the serger that I loved! The longarm quilter, not so much, lol. It can be bulky with lots of thread to quilt through. I do love my serger, have constructed some garments never touching the sewing machine. I think quilters don't think they are sewing, just piecing, etc. and sewers don't think they are quilting, just joining fabrics together! We do it all, folks, and many tools are multi taskers. Some love, some hate, some never tried. If you can afford an air threader, go for it, if not, a serger is never a bad idea!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-07-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-07-2019, 09:04 AM

I use my serger for going around cloth before washing to prevent fraying. And after sewing around a finished quilt before binding. I sew around the edge, to hold it together, then use the serger to cut and sew the edge. Then I put on the binding, with my sewing machine, not had stitching. My quilts are used, and so I want the edge to stay. Not sure what I will do if I ever have to redo the binding.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
I serge all of my quilts before I bind them. This gives me a nice stable edge to attach my binding to. For that alone, I would get a serger, especially if it's a bargain like you're describing.
I serged around a quilt before attaching the binding years ago. It turned out beautifully. Then the next time I did that, it was horrible. I don't know what I had done differently.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:18 PM

Used it in the beginning because it was a new toy...Now it just sits gathering dust and taking up space. I did piece scraps together with it for a quilt top once...I'm abt to donate to my SIL's church group if they want it.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Linda Renfro View Post
I have a chance to buy a used (very little use) Bernina serger for a good price, but do I really need it is my question to myself. I was wondering if any one has one and how often do you use it with quilting projects and what do you use it for when quilting? Thanks! All information is greatly appreciated. Happy Quilting!!!
If the price is really good and you can afford it.. go for it.
I have a Brother 1034D. I use it for serging raw fabric edges before I wash them. Pillowcases for the first seams before I do the French Seam. Repair clothing for myself and neighbors. I've only had it a couple of years and getting better at it all the time. I am practicing making Rolled Hems as I want to make some scarves.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-08-2019 at 03:31 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-08-2019, 12:31 PM

I use my Brother serger a lot in quilting. I like to serger my fabric edges before washing. It really helps control the horrible thread nest of unraveling wet fabrics!
Old 10-08-2019, 09:00 PM

I love my serger and use it quite often. I make a lot of donation baby quilts and they sew up really fast on the serger. Recently I saw a video on my Instagram on how to serge your bindings. That's not something I have ever done but I may try it. Also Eleanor Burns did a whole quilt using a serger years ago that's what made me try it. If I were you I would definitely buy it. Good luck!