Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Servicing..? >

Servicing..?

Servicing..?

Old 07-08-2015, 12:04 PM

Default Servicing..?

So, I decided my machine (a Husqvarna Viking) should really have a service. I will confess now that I got it new more than 20 years ago, but it has never been serviced. In my defence, it has also been hardly used, until this year, when I discovered quilting, but now that I have just finished my first quilt (and started piecing the second, and planning the third and fourth, and...), it seemed time... My local store has quoted me 'oh about 2-3 weeks' for a 'summer special clean and oil' (ie not actually a full service, but since it is still running beautifully, I don't think it really needs more than an inspection, clean and oil: they would notify me, they said, if anything was spotted amiss). They aren't a dealer for my brand.

As a complete novice at this, I am asking you lovely, knowledgeable people - is this normal? I don't think I could manage now without my machine for a week, let alone 2-3 (I don't have a spare, nor do I have funds for one), but I realise that not servicing is asking for trouble. I've tried enquiring elsewhere, but seem to be hitting a blank (we have moved far, far from the original, lovely store where I bought my machine).

How long does a service usually take? And how important is finding a dealer specific to my brand?
Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM

Find a location that they service the machine on site. Many shops have someone pick up machines once a week to take to another location. And, if you should need a part, expect them to have the machine even longer. My neighbor is without her Viking high end embroidery machine for almost 3 weeks now. We actually drove from Southeast PA to Lawrenceville, NJ to a Viking Dealer and when I asked if they serviced on site, we were told "yes". Then my neighbor was told later that the machines were sent to their Bordentown, NJ site for servicing. It would have been closer for us to drive to Bordentown. Today, we found that there is another location that would have serviced the machine cheaper, but I don't think they are a Viking Dealer. The Viking dealer is charging $249.00, plus parts. I took my 1996 Viking Rose in for the 1st time year before last. That cost me $149.00 and I did not even take the embroidery attachment in. I later found that I did not have a problem with the machine itself. I actually wore out the Walking Foot.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

If it is sewing fine, I would give it a good clean out in the bobbin area and put a drop of oil on the hook and sew until she started acting up. If the technician doesn't know that brand, it could take quite a while to get it sewing well again. Unless they have loaner machines while yours is in the shop, I would wait.
I would also be a little suspicious if they called with a major expensive fix if it was sewing fine. Then what do you do? Okay it for them to continue or bring home your non functioning machine.....just my opinion.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 PM

Donnajean, I hope that my much lowlier machine would not cost so much - I do not have any problems that need fixing at the moment, but I do want to keep it that way.

Tartan, they do not have loaner machines - and my machine is actually still running like a dream, I just worry about lint building up where I can't get at it, and the fact that it has never been oiled (my user manual only tells me to keep it regularly cleaned (and shows how to get into the bobbin area), 'no lubrication is needed'). When you say a drop of oil on the hook, would this run the risk of getting the thread oily?

Thank you for your replies!!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

I don't know if your machine is the same as my Bernina but the hook is that little thing that goes around in the bobbin area that picks up or "hooks" the thread to make a stitch. My machine needs no other oiling but the drop on the hook keeps the bobbin pieces moving smoothly. I have never had any problems with oil getting on the thread because it is just a drop.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Your manual is indicating that the gears are sealed; this is why they don't need lubrication. Since your machine is running fine, I wouldn't take it in for servicing -- especially when it takes so long. If you clean out the bobbin area regularly and oil the hook regularly, you should be fine. You may be exaggerating the fear of lint getting into areas you can't reach, especially if you have made only one quilt so far. I'd be more concerned about that if you had completed 20 bed quilts, although even then there would probably be no internal lint issue if you have been cleaning and oiling the bobbin area faithfully. I stopped taking my Bernina 1230 in for servicing over 15 years ago after paying $150 for basically nothing. I noticed the technician had not even bothered to return the top tension to factory setting, which is something basic he should have done in order to test stitches and tension. My machine still purrs and sews the way it did 15 years ago and I have approximately $2,250 more dollars in my pocket today to put towards another machine some day. In my experience the older machines simply do not need yearly checkups; however, I would take my machine in earlier rather than later if I noticed it starting to get "sick" or misbehaving.

Edit: Sorry about the manual comment. I was reading on my iPad and probably mixed up postings. I'm not sure if your machine has sealed gears or not. What I would advise doing is joining a Yahoo group for your brand and type of machine. They can give you lots of good advise about maintaining your machine and may even be able to recommend a good servicing agent in your area. You didn't mention what model you have, but at 20 years old it would probably be considered a vintage machine. Here is one Yahoo group you might want to join:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...gquilters/info
and there are additional groups specifically for pre-1980's machines, Designer 1 machines, etc.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-08-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:57 PM

Our local shop also quotes 2 weeks for servicing. I usually take it in just before I go on a vacation so I won't miss it as much!!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

My local Sew & Vac can turn my Bernina around in just a few days. Ask around when around any quilters and maybe they have a better recommendation.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:05 PM

My Viking dealer took a week and cost me $99. when they serviced my Mega Quilter in January. I agree, look around.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:17 PM

My dealer takes 2 weeks, if I am lucky 10days