Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Servicing Woes >

Servicing Woes

Servicing Woes

Old 09-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

You need to take the machine back immediately while the warranty on service is still in effect. Sometimes this is as little as 30 days. It sounds to me as if the machine was serviced incorrectly.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Your warranty work should be done by a Viking dealer/ service shop. If you had someone else do the work it may have cancelled your warranty and they may have damaged the machine. I've had my Viking for 13 years now, have always taken it to the dealer for service. It has never taken longer than 48 hours to have it back ( even when they had to order a part) and it is always like new for a few more years. I would Not take it back to the same people again and risk more damage- Vikings are too expensive to risk it.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:06 PM

I'm sorry you're having problems. I can't speak to the other stuff, but I wouldn't worry about the oil. My Viking Sapphire gets oiled when serviced, even though the manual says not to oil it. They build them so that the oiling points are inaccessible, so that you have to take it in for service periodically.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

All machines gets oiled when serviced by a tech. Knowing where and how much is the key. The manual says no oil so if oiled while under warranty will void the warranty. The manual will always say have machine serviced by a properly trained technician.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:12 AM

So sorry for your machine problems. I would only go to a service person that works on Vikings. The one that works on them in our area is a ways away but he knows everything about Vikings. Could you call a Viking dealer in your state and find out who they recommend? Hope you can get this resolved. As for the drop of oil, the manager of the Viking dealership told me I could put one drop below the bobbin. I did this one time and then wiped it off. I have had Vikings for for over 40 years. Never oiled them, not starting now!!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:28 AM

I had a horrid experience with my Janome but a CERTIFIED dealer. He had it 2 months and still could not fix it. I finally called the dealer who I bought it from (out of state). I sent it to them and they had it fixed in less than a week. They also said it was an easy fix. Fortunately I had not given this jerk any money. And he was horribly rude when I went to pick up the machine. I told him I would call the police if he did not give it back to me and pulled out my phone.

I called Janome and was VERY unhappy with them. They stood up for this dealer and his horrible customer service. I know live in Phoenix and have a great dealer here.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:07 AM

It was explained to me by a repairman that the no oil machines have oil embedded in the metal but after a time, a very small drop of oil is a good thing, especially if you use your machine frequently. I use a pinpoint oiler and place a very small drop on the race hook about once a month. You don't want to gum it up, either.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Embedded silicone in no oil machines last a long time but still need lubrication on some moving parts that only a tech can get to without voiding the warranty. Oil made for sewing machines evaporate. Using the wrong oil will collect dust and turn to gunk.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

I can't believe that it took two months to get your machine back and in worse shape than when you brought it in. I would report them to the Better Business Bureau. I've never had a machine in for service taking more than a few days, not months.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:18 PM

I have to drive about an hour now to get my Bernina serviced. To me, its worth the drive because they are a good dealer who services all their own machines and stands behind their work.