Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
setting corners >

setting corners

setting corners

Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM

I need help adding and finishing a quilt. the middle section is set on point. I need ideas to finish it to make it a square or rectangle. I really don't want to do setting corners if I can help it. Maybe strips to the corner then square them off. I would like to do a log cabin in each corner but the math is way too hard for my brain. Hope this is not too confusing.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 PM

I don't know how you can avoid sewing on a triangle piece whether it is one fabric or pieced. The edge you have to join to inner square has to be on the bias. If you sew on a straight of grain piece and then trim to make the corner square, your edges will be on the bias. That is not good.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:46 PM

I got this awhile back on a quilt site, but don't remember which site, but here's what I have: On-Point Settings

Setting quilts on point requires the addition of "setting triangles" on the sides and corners. To ensure that the straight grain of the fabric is on the outer edges of the quilt, cut quarter square side setting triangles and half square corner setting triangles. (Triangle Tips) Rows are assembled diagonally, starting at the corner. Corner setting triangles are added after rows have been sewn together. TIP: Spray bias edges lightly with fabric sizing (not starch) to help prevent them from stretching.

Setting Triangles - Measurements Include Seam Allowance
Need help cutting setting triangles? Link to "Triangle Tips" page.

No Sashing

10" (finished size) Block

12" (finished size) Block

Corner Triangles

8" Half Square

9 3/8" Half Square

Side Triangles

15 3/8" Quarter Square

18 1/4" Quarter Square

1" Sashing (finished size)

10" (finished size) Block

12" (finished size) Block

Corner Triangles

8 5/8" Half Square

10" Half Square

Side Triangles

16 3/4" Quarter Square

19 5/8" Quarter Square

NOTE: Use the following formulas for calculating setting triangle measurements for other size blocks. Round measurements to the nearest 1/8 inch. Remember to add finished sashing measurement to block size when figuring size for setting triangles on a sashed quilt.

Corner Setting Triangles (Half Square):
... Finished size of block (e.g. 15") ÷ 1.414 + .875 = SIZE

Side Setting Triangles (Quarter Square):
... Finished size of block (e.g. 15") x 1.414 + 1.25 = SIZE

When setting quilts on point remember to use the diagonal measurement to determine how many blocks you will need for the quilt. If you are using a 10" block the measurement would be 14 1/8" (10 x 1.414) Example: Four blocks across and five down measures 56 1/2" x 70 5/8" before the borders are added.

If you blocks aren't these sizes, PM me and I'll email you a more diversified chart, it doesn't come out right on the response. Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:00 PM

Try patchpieces.com

There is a link on the left that opens up a page to guide you for setting triangles on corner. Print it out or save it to file (move curser over the central bottom of the page and click on the save icon).
You could even make strips of fabric sewn together, then cut a triangle from them to create your 'log cabin' look.

For those interested and whomever struggles with flying geese, there is also a link for doing them. Same way Eleanor Burns does them (FAST!), but nice to have it in print.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM

thanks for the chart info. The center block is very large. I am thinking of doing the strips and cutting them to fit.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:50 PM

Thought I would update a little. I finally have decided how to do it. I am sewing 3 1/2 strips together, sewing them to the sides and then trimming them to square up the corners. Whew, I have 2 corners done and 2 more to go. But it's working.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM

It is on the bias. I am going to be so very careful and sew an outer strip after I get all 4 corners sewn on. Hopefully, it won't stretch too bad if any.
Originally Posted by Barb44
I don't know how you can avoid sewing on a triangle piece whether it is one fabric or pieced. The edge you have to join to inner square has to be on the bias. If you sew on a straight of grain piece and then trim to make the corner square, your edges will be on the bias. That is not good.