Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sew steady table >

sew steady table

sew steady table

Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 AM

Default sew steady table

I do not have my sewing machine setting into my table and am considering buying one of those plexiglass table available. Does anyone here have one? Are they worth it. The site says sewing/embroidery machines.......I cannot see how when I put on my emb. gizmo this table will work...maybe I am not thinking right....anyway, I think I just want it as support for piecing.........but....it looks like hugs the machine after removing the little thing that holds supplies on machine? So it like drop in table would not work if you want to use the free arm ability of the machine? My old Singer was dropped into a cabinet, but it did not have free arm..............the reason for this sudden desire to buy one of these things after all these years is the watching of a Nancy's Sewing segment using a circle sewer, which I have since purchased........looked into buying the actual attachment for my machine but that was $100...this a bit cheaper, but it needs more than just the edge of the sewing machine to use.........one thing always leads to another!!!!!! thanks for any input.....Actually, now that I think about it....cost of silly circle gizmo and now purchase of table will be equal to cost of attachment....dah!!!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 AM

I love my sew steady table, I just take it off when i need the free arm... It is definitely a must have for me when piecing and FMQ.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I have one too. I just sit the machine on top of the cabinet, put the sew steady around the machine. I either piece or quilt. The table is stopped from being pushed off table by the wall. I have a special table to set this machine into, but I don't like it much. Those have to be cut to fit the machine. They can be cut with a laser jet, using regular water. This machine doesn't have a free arm.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 AM

I have one and I like it. My only complaints are that it seems every time I move it I have to readjust the feet, but that isn't hard to do... just a little annoying since I have to move it every time I replace the bobbin with my machine. It is also pretty static-y, but again that isn't a big deal, it just sucks up bits of thread underneath it and I have to clean the bottom off.

It is a much cheaper option than buying a special table though, I definitely think it is worth getting. I would go with the larger one though, the smaller one doesn't seem good for quilting.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 AM

I'm a brand new quilter and just bought one. I really like it so far. It definitely helps me be able to manage the fabric a bit better.

I ended up getting the sew straight seam guide. I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to be completely flush with the table. The suction cups make it just slightly off the table - enough that the fabric slides underneath, defeating the purpose of the seam guide. Has anyone else used those? I was thinking of just getting some tape and taping it directly to the table. But, like others have said, I have to move everything when I need to get to my bobbin.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:27 AM

I love mine. The instructions say not to use alcohol on it. I didn't read that until after the fact and when I was cleaning my needle to get off some adhesive the alcohol caused cracks! I can still use it but it isn't nearly as pretty as before.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 AM

I have one and love it - it being on a level with the machine makes things easier. The only alcohol on it is my wine!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 AM

Have it. Love it. I also use it as my light box for tracing. Kind of a two for one.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Here's a recent post on this topic:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t232405.html
Old 10-29-2013, 10:10 AM

What a great idea Lisa! A light box.......hmmmmmm way less expensive than buying a regular light box. I also use mine mostly for classes, quilt retreats as my machine sits down into a sewing table/cabinet I purchased from a friend. I don't do that much free arm sewing but they are not hard to remove and put back.
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Have it. Love it. I also use it as my light box for tracing. Kind of a two for one.