Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing around the edges? >

sewing around the edges?

sewing around the edges?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by salemmm
Is it any easier to roll the binding thats been pressed in half around a paper towel tube?
I tried to put on my binding before trimming but ended up catching some of the corner fold in my cutting blade and decided NEVER AGAIN. So now I trim first then attach my binding, without stitching around the edges (unless the borders are only lightly quilted). I do use a tool by Martelli that helps a great deal. I use continuous bias binding and love the outcome as I have little waste. I do press the whole continous strip in half and then roll up on a half empty roll of toilet paper. Then I slipped some mardi gras beads through the center, safety pin to another strand and put over my head. This way I can pull off a few feet at a time and don't have the pile of binding on the floor getting all tangled. Also, many times I make my binding well in advance of finishing the quilt (sometimes I get creatively stuck and need a short distraction) and the binding stays perfectly preserved all wrapped up. Perhaps make a set of practice placemats to try different techniques until you find one you feel works for you. I put my latest binding roll on my son for the pic so you can see better what I'm trying to describe.

Rolled up binding on TP roll
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86768[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-86763.jpe  
Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 PM

OMG!!!! How cute is that little guy?! AND he's such a good helper!!! That is the best advice and makes sense to me too!! I will definitely do that- maybe have my hubby substitute for your boy--haha Thanks again- melissa from Az.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:23 PM

I have a curious george t-shirt too!!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 04:42 PM

great idea! I had to look at the picture to know what you were talking about.... mind wasn't getting it until the eyes saw it.... LOL THANKS FOR SHARING
Old 06-26-2010, 06:14 PM

I hand baste the edge, then sew the binding on the back, come around the front and use a decorative stitch to finish. One of my sewing machines has a nice feather stitch.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:49 AM

Here's a neat trick which I've used for binding. You roll your binding and then
insert a double length of thread long enough to tie around your neck. Here's a picture (scroll down a bit).
http://whatarajaneloves.blogspot.com...ile-quilt.html
Thanks for this great tip - I usually end up nearly hanging myself with the binding slung over my shoulder!! :roll:
Old 06-27-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
thanks for all the input!!! Is it any easier to roll the binding thats been pressed in half around a paper towel tube? Easier to attach from front or back to front? Seems like such a long continuous strip to press in half. thanks
Here's a neat trick which I've used for binding. You roll your binding and then
insert a double length of thread long enough to tie around your neck. Here's a picture (scroll down a bit).
http://whatarajaneloves.blogspot.com...ile-quilt.html
What a super idea! I'm going to try that on the current project, when I get to that point.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I square the quilt up and then I pin baste it, quilt it, and then trim the three layers neatly.

Then I use the longest straight stitch and sew about 1/8 inch from the edge to keep all the layers together.

I pin and then machine baste the edges of the binding together before attaching it to the quilt.

I do not press the binding in half because - when it gets folded a few times, the "center crease" is off by a few threads.

I like to sew the edges of the quilt before putting the binding on because then I don't need to think about whether I have all the layers included.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:16 AM

I can't figure the math on my binding.... I thought to end up w/ a 1/2" binding- you start w/ a 2 1/2" strip-- fold in half- press- line up the edge w/ the edge of the sandwhich and sew it on 1/4 ". When I practiced this-- I end up w/ 1/4" on the front and bigger on the back. What am I doing wrong????
Old 06-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I can't figure the math on my binding.... I thought to end up w/ a 1/2" binding- you start w/ a 2 1/2" strip-- fold in half- press- line up the edge w/ the edge of the sandwhich and sew it on 1/4 ". When I practiced this-- I end up w/ 1/4" on the front and bigger on the back. What am I doing wrong????
Practice sewing it on with a wider seam - I would suggest a "scant" 1/2 inch - for starters - you may need to fiddle around with what works for you