Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing around the edges? >

sewing around the edges?

sewing around the edges?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by salemmm
I can't figure the math on my binding.... I thought to end up w/ a 1/2" binding- you start w/ a 2 1/2" strip-- fold in half- press- line up the edge w/ the edge of the sandwhich and sew it on 1/4 ". When I practiced this-- I end up w/ 1/4" on the front and bigger on the back. What am I doing wrong????
Your batting may be on the thinner side. To compensate for this in order to get the amount of binding on the front and back equal, you need to make that first seam wider than 1/4". You don't need to take out the first seam; just sew around again with a larger seam.

Next time you may want to start with a start with a slightly narrower strip (2.25" or even 2") if you use the same batting.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Power Poster

I trim everything up and then put on my binding.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
I do this becaue I like to put the binding on the back side first then turn around to the front and use a decorative stitch to finish. I used to hand stitch to finish but the arthritis in my hands prevents that now. I trim after I have sewn, assured that when I attach the binding I will be getting both front and back in it.
I do this too, but I use straight stitch. BUT getting another machine and plan on trying fancy stitch the front on one.I sew 1/8 on stitch length 3 though
Old 06-28-2010, 12:14 PM

I have never sewn around the edges of my quilt sandwich prior to sewing on the binding. I have a longarm and quilt my own quilts so I made sure that my quilting is within a quarter inch of the edge of my quilt top as much as possible. I do use a walking foot when I sew the binding on the top of my quilt (never had a tuck yet) and hand sew the binding to the back of my quilts, including sewing the mitered corners, front and back, using thread that matches the color of my binding. I press my binding in half, keeping the raw edges together, but I don't press in another fold. I don't pin, glue or steam-a-seam my binding down, just lay it along the already trimmed edge of my quilt and sew. I use hair clips (3 of them) to fold the binding over when I am hand sewing it down - holds it firmly, easy to move and never sticks me!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by adrianlee
I hand baste the edge, then sew the binding on the back, come around the front and use a decorative stitch to finish. One of my sewing machines has a nice feather stitch.
I don't know much about fancy stitches, what is a feather stitch? Thankyou for the info.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 AM

I've decided to use a packaged double fold bias binding (7/8")... Does anyone know a way to explain how to attach it when you reach the corner? I understand how to attach a binding that I've made myself- but they say to open the binding and sew in the first crease and when I get to the corner- I'm not sure if I should jjust cut it and start again ( like a boxed border)? thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by salemmm
I've decided to use a packaged double fold bias binding (7/8")... Does anyone know a way to explain how to attach it when you reach the corner? I understand how to attach a binding that I've made myself- but they say to open the binding and sew in the first crease and when I get to the corner- I'm not sure if I should just cut it and start again ( like a boxed border)? thanks
I would stitch it completely off the end of the first corner (do NOT stop 1/4 inch from the edge) of the quilt, fold/wrap the binding around the corner and the miter should form the same on both top and bottom. Iron a diagonal crease at the miter and stitch along your next edge.

I've used premade binding before but always found the center crease and re-ironed to take out the other 2 creases so that I have double ply binding and put it on like usual.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 AM

Oh---that makes good sense... if I iron out the two other creases and just use the center one as if I'd made the binding myself---- then I get it. thanks.