Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Cabinet....Should I pull the trigger? >

Sewing Cabinet....Should I pull the trigger?

Sewing Cabinet....Should I pull the trigger?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Alright I need some input. I need an inexpensive sewing cabinet, SO I was thinking about getting this one from Joanns....the BEST deal...you can use the 50% off online coupon so it's only $128 shipped to my front door?

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...ID=xprd1134127

What do you think? Should I do it?

I use an adjustable height table with a drawer unit on wheels for underneath. I feel I have more storage under the table. I purchased mine from IKEA! But if I had a choice between Joanns and Walmart - I would choose the Walmart - Sauder has a good reputation and I have purchased from Sauder in the past.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:41 PM
CRH

Thanks for the "heads up"!! I've been waiting for this table to go on sale. I like the idea of the flip up table for more space. The walmart one also looks good. I have an expensive cabinet similar to this with the hydraulic lift, but will purchase one of these for my second machine.

For the price of either of these two, I'm thinking it would be very serviceable!! (Especially delivered!!)
Old 04-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by lindy
Originally Posted by Gelswood
I have built ins but my friends husband bought her one similar to yours and she hates it. She said there is too much wasted space underneath and she doesn't like the machine on top.
I was going on what money I had available and was/am willing to work around having the machine on top. My husband and his friend are crafty and can figure that problem out, if need be. I'm just happy to have a table specifically for my sewing.
Thats how I feel too, having come from one of those fold up craft tables with the fold up legs that shook horribly if I used any speed at all. Now I actually have some "space" and if need be I can easily move it to the dining room to take advantage of that great big table.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:58 PM

I found a cabinet for less than $200. on overstock.com it has a hydraulic lift for 3 positions. I think this is important when you want to quilt. I had to pay another 25-35 dollars to have an acrylic insert made by, I believe it was called dream world. So far it has served me very well and been an excellent investment.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Google Goddess

Also I bought an antique piano stool and put a cushion on it.

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
Originally Posted by craftybear
Hi, I bought a nice wood sewing cabinet from Walmart for $90.00 and has a left side long extension on it. It looks like a piece of furniture.

would you want a cabinet on wheels?
I bought the same one. Absolutely love it. Mine also came with a rolling stool. It has a cushioned seat that opens for storage.

Couldn't beat the price....I think that I paid about $99. Worth that and more !!!!!!

MaryJane
Old 04-09-2010, 02:09 PM

I have a student desk from the 50s with the chair to match. Cost me $15 and it's the perfect height. I really need a cutting table- want to make my own from a luan door and drawers but no time. :(

Let us know what you buy.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:57 PM

No. You need one that the sewing machine can sit into so that you have the surface of the table level with the sewing machine. It makes it a lot easier to quilt. JMO :roll:
Old 04-09-2010, 04:43 PM

Yeah someone said someone message me with a bit of advice, I you have to ask others, it's not the right one for you...

SO...I think I will just keep saving and looking. I have an old dining room table I put together with a card table to make an "L" shape at the moment....so until I find something I REALLY want perhaps I should just keep the money in the bank. :)
Old 04-09-2010, 04:54 PM

I have the Saunders sewing "desk " like furniture: opens up for one longer side....1 door maybe 12 wide opens ot 3 shelves for storage: the other wide opening swings out....that is where you put your legs under
It has worked for me ! I pd. for Saunders to put it together:had I not, there may have been a tad of swearing on the home front !
Old 04-09-2010, 05:50 PM

My DH, who is NOT a carpenter, modified a kitchen table we bought for $90. He cut the hole to fit the machine and then I bought an acrylic insert.